Oil Archive (no new posts) An archive of oil related questions and comments.

Why is there oil down the side of my bike?

Search this Thread

Old 03-05-2016, 08:54 AM
big cahuna
Grand HDF Member
Received 227 Likes on 152 Posts

This is an old post but the same question gets asked alot. Here's what I think. If you live and ride in a hot environment, using straight 50 or 60 wt oil will work fine . But, if you ride in winter months, using a multi wt 10/40 or even 20/50 wt is the way to go. Trying to start your bike when its 40 f with 60 wt oil in it will tell you the condition of your battery real fast. Plus the oil won't be circulating and doing it's job until it gets heated up.,,,

Old 04-24-2017, 02:40 PM
DK Custom
Platinum Sponsor
Received 3,930 Likes on 2,288 Posts

Catch-Can External Breather Systems (EBS) have been getting more and more popular recently.

I've been running one on my TG for over a year now.

DKCustomProducts.com
Call/Text: 662-252-8828
Email: Support@DKCustomProducts.com

Old 05-31-2017, 11:33 AM
DK Custom
Platinum Sponsor

The newest EBS that we've been using works very well for bikes that blow a lot of oil.

Stealth EBS- directs the blow-by up, doing a really good job of keeping the oil in the engine to be burned off as it gets hot.

Last edited by DK Custom; 08-23-2017 at 01:42 AM.
Old 07-11-2017, 12:42 PM
BobbyJones
Advanced
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I realize this post goes back a ways, but I'm running a 2016 Ultra Limited, just hit 2,700 on the odometer (purchased new this spring). I have V&H Twin Slash Round 4" Slip-ons, Arlen Ness Big Sucker, and FP3 Tuned. Rode 300 miles on Sunday in the mountains of New Hampshire. Outside temp was low to mid 80's, elevation was from sea level to 3,000 feet above. Took it easy, not pushing the bike hard, no high rpm extended periods. When we came back down to around 1,200 feet and took a rest stop noticed oil dripped down below the Big Sucker, as well as a drip or two at the right side housing in front of the saddle bag. Only other Harley I have experience with was a 2003 RK which I traded for the Limited. From what I'm reading as long as it is just a few drops, wipe it off and ride on?

Thanks,

Old 07-11-2017, 02:59 PM
DK Custom
Platinum Sponsor

Originally Posted by BobbyJones
I realize this post goes back a ways, but I'm running a 2016 Ultra Limited, just hit 2,700 on the odometer (purchased new this spring). I have V&H Twin Slash Round 4" Slip-ons, Arlen Ness Big Sucker, and FP3 Tuned. Rode 300 miles on Sunday in the mountains of New Hampshire. Outside temp was low to mid 80's, elevation was from sea level to 3,000 feet above. Took it easy, not pushing the bike hard, no high rpm extended periods. When we came back down to around 1,200 feet and took a rest stop noticed oil dripped down below the Big Sucker, as well as a drip or two at the right side housing in front of the saddle bag. Only other Harley I have experience with was a 2003 RK which I traded for the Limited. From what I'm reading as long as it is just a few drops, wipe it off and ride on?

Thanks,
You certainly can do that...but it is an indication of what you are feeding into your throttle body and combustion chambers. Hot, Oily, Oxygen depleted air.

Your bike will run much better with an External Breather System.

Here is what a typical combustion chamber looks like when feeding that into it-

Or it can look like this, and be running stronger and longer-

Old 07-22-2017, 07:13 AM
misput
Tourer
Received 34 Likes on 30 Posts

Why do you recommend a filter on the end of an external crankcase breather line? As far as I can tell there is never any vacuum created inside the line, or is there?

Old 07-22-2017, 07:59 AM
DK Custom
Platinum Sponsor

Originally Posted by misput
Why do you recommend a filter on the end of an external crankcase breather line? As far as I can tell there is never any vacuum created inside the line, or is there?
The filter will absorb any oil mist that is traveling thru the line (which many times accumulates on the inside of the hose), preventing it from dripping.

It is not necessary for good operation of the engine, just for stopping it from "marking its' spot" on the garage floor, or where ever it is parked.

Kevin

The following users liked this post:
misput (07-22-2017)
Old 07-22-2017, 11:57 AM
bad tappets
Road Warrior
Received 405 Likes on 326 Posts

I did a few modes over the winter (Andrews 21N cams, etc..); and installed an external breather system using a DK Products catch can - works really well. Been running a few ounces of Tektron in each tank, motor is really running well. I wipe out the catch can every 500 mikes or so, easy. Looks good too!

The following users liked this post:
DK Custom (07-22-2017)
Old 09-08-2017, 08:10 PM
dynarider1821
Cruiser
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I'm back here reading threads about excessive oil coming from breather bolts as I had this issue yesterday. I installed the DK Customs outlaw 606 with Premium catch can EBS a few months ago. We've had 100 degrees for 2 months here in TX so haven't ridin much. but with a cool morning I decided to ride to work. Well on the way home it was 92 degrees and I was in stop and go traffic for about an hour due to an accident. I pulled off to get gas and my fans on my ultra kicked on when I turned the bike off - first time that has happened since buying the bike. so I'm assuming the engine was really hot. When I finally got home I noticed a good amount of oil sprayed on the exhaust pipe and engine area below the air cleaner, also noticed oil dripping from the catch can and the breather bolts. I have the catch can located in the same place as the pic above. directly below the air cleaner.

i'll be taking it all apart tomorrow to see if the catch can is full but it shouldn't be after 500 miles. I'm hoping that it was just the excessive engine heat in stop and go traffic that caused this? I'll also confirm the oil level.

thanks DK for this thread and the suggestions for why this is happening

Old 09-09-2017, 08:52 AM
DK Custom
Platinum Sponsor

Originally Posted by dynarider1821
I'm back here reading threads about excessive oil coming from breather bolts as I had this issue yesterday. I installed the DK Customs outlaw 606 with Premium catch can EBS a few months ago. We've had 100 degrees for 2 months here in TX so haven't ridin much. but with a cool morning I decided to ride to work. Well on the way home it was 92 degrees and I was in stop and go traffic for about an hour due to an accident. I pulled off to get gas and my fans on my ultra kicked on when I turned the bike off - first time that has happened since buying the bike. so I'm assuming the engine was really hot. When I finally got home I noticed a good amount of oil sprayed on the exhaust pipe and engine area below the air cleaner, also noticed oil dripping from the catch can and the breather bolts. I have the catch can located in the same place as the pic above. directly below the air cleaner.

i'll be taking it all apart tomorrow to see if the catch can is full but it shouldn't be after 500 miles. I'm hoping that it was just the excessive engine heat in stop and go traffic that caused this? I'll also confirm the oil level.

thanks DK for this thread and the suggestions for why this is happening
Yeah, you might be a bit higher on oil level than optimum...but, as you noted, it was the heat that caused more than usual blow-by for you too.

Under no circumstance should oil be dripping from the breather bolts. That means they are leaking, either at the hose connection, or more likely, down the threads. When you remove them, clean up the threads, and then put a really heavy layer of teflon tape on them before you reinstall them....like 6-9 layers. This will keep the oil from migrating down the threads, plus it works just as good as thread-locker at keeping them in place.

Your catch-can may be full, or the foam filter not able to absorb any additional oil. After cleaning both, it can be useful to put a couple of layers of blue shop towel (absorbent paper) in the bottom of the catch can.

Kevin

Quick Reply: Why is there oil down the side of my bike?