Oil Archive (no new posts) An archive of oil related questions and comments.

Reusable oil filters.

Search this Thread

Old 12-10-2013, 02:42 PM
HKMark23
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 1,934 Likes on 1,111 Posts
Default Reusable oil filters.

I'm interested in getting the reusable filter offered by DK custom. They offer the following argument in favor of the filter:

More Details:
The Outlaw High Performance filter offers many features not found in standard paper filters. Outstanding performance is obtained by their high flow rates, magnetic pre-filtering, consistent filtering medium, billet outer housing which aids in cooling the oil, and a unique progressive rate bypass which avoids unfiltered oil bypassing the filter at startup, and high-rpm operation — a major concern with standard paper filters.
At the heart of the filter is a medical grade 304 stainless-steel micronic cloth filter designed to pass a large volume of oil when compared to standard paper filters. The cloth is designed to filter out particles 35 microns or larger. (35 microns is below the limit of human visibility)
Before you start with the, “my filter is rated at 5 microns and it filters way better,” you need to understand just how the micron rating applies to oil filters. The HD OEM filters and aftermarket paper filters are rated on averages, percentages and multiple passes, so a 10-micron-rated paper filter may be letting particles 100 microns and larger through. The medical grade stainless steel cloth they use in their filters is consistent across the entire surface and is rated at 35 microns, meaning nothing larger than 35 microns will pass through the material, it is an absolute, with paper filters, the rating is an average. Additionally, paper filters have a bypass, so on startup & high RPM the oil is not being filtered at all!
With the included wrench, removal is easy. Cleaning the filter & the housing is easy- wash the stainless steel element in cleaning solvent, gasoline, kerosene, carburetor cleaner or any other degreasing agent. Let air dry, or you can use compressed air.
There are two quad rings included. A quad ring will typically last 3-5 oil changes. Additional quad rings are available. If you accidentally damage the stainless steel element, those are also available.

Because of the HiFlow characteristics of this Oil Filter, resulting in less oil pump drag, Dyno Runs consistently show an increase of 4-8 HP and an increase of 4-12 ft. lbs in Torque (Twin Cams).

Quote from Hot Bike Magazine:
"Besides doing a superior job of cleaning and cooling the oil, independent testers doing back-to-back dyno comparisons of these reusable oil filters and an ordinary disposable, charted as much as an 8-horsepower bump along with 10 more lb-ft of torque."

-----------------------------------------------------------------

I can accept the logic of "averages being used but, on the other hand, isn't a trapped particle more or less permanently trapped ? If so, it seems to me the occasional "bypass" inherent in conventional filters wouldn't obfuscate their overall filtering of circulating oil. By this logic, and I'm guessing, it seems to come down to one question. Is a 35 micron filter adequate ?

Basic economics dictates that buying a 170 dollar filter along with the cleaning solutions and sealing rings it requires is no way to save money but the performance enhancement promise does get one's attention.

Any comments and/or experiences would be most helpful. Thanx

Old 12-11-2013, 12:19 AM
DK Custom
Platinum Sponsor
Received 3,930 Likes on 2,288 Posts

Originally Posted by HKMark23
I'm interested in getting the reusable filter offered by DK custom. They offer the following argument in favor of the filter:

More Details:
The Outlaw High Performance filter offers many features not found in standard paper filters. Outstanding performance is obtained by their high flow rates, magnetic pre-filtering, consistent filtering medium, billet outer housing which aids in cooling the oil, and a unique progressive rate bypass which avoids unfiltered oil bypassing the filter at startup, and high-rpm operation — a major concern with standard paper filters.
At the heart of the filter is a medical grade 304 stainless-steel micronic cloth filter designed to pass a large volume of oil when compared to standard paper filters. The cloth is designed to filter out particles 35 microns or larger. (35 microns is below the limit of human visibility)
Before you start with the, “my filter is rated at 5 microns and it filters way better,” you need to understand just how the micron rating applies to oil filters. The HD OEM filters and aftermarket paper filters are rated on averages, percentages and multiple passes, so a 10-micron-rated paper filter may be letting particles 100 microns and larger through. The medical grade stainless steel cloth they use in their filters is consistent across the entire surface and is rated at 35 microns, meaning nothing larger than 35 microns will pass through the material, it is an absolute, with paper filters, the rating is an average. Additionally, paper filters have a bypass, so on startup & high RPM the oil is not being filtered at all!
With the included wrench, removal is easy. Cleaning the filter & the housing is easy- wash the stainless steel element in cleaning solvent, gasoline, kerosene, carburetor cleaner or any other degreasing agent. Let air dry, or you can use compressed air.
There are two quad rings included. A quad ring will typically last 3-5 oil changes. Additional quad rings are available. If you accidentally damage the stainless steel element, those are also available.

Because of the HiFlow characteristics of this Oil Filter, resulting in less oil pump drag, Dyno Runs consistently show an increase of 4-8 HP and an increase of 4-12 ft. lbs in Torque (Twin Cams).

Quote from Hot Bike Magazine:
"Besides doing a superior job of cleaning and cooling the oil, independent testers doing back-to-back dyno comparisons of these reusable oil filters and an ordinary disposable, charted as much as an 8-horsepower bump along with 10 more lb-ft of torque."

-----------------------------------------------------------------

I can accept the logic of "averages being used but, on the other hand, isn't a trapped particle more or less permanently trapped ? If so, it seems to me the occasional "bypass" inherent in conventional filters wouldn't obfuscate their overall filtering of circulating oil. By this logic, and I'm guessing, it seems to come down to one question. Is a 35 micron filter adequate ?

Basic economics dictates that buying a 170 dollar filter along with the cleaning solutions and sealing rings it requires is no way to save money but the performance enhancement promise does get one's attention.

There is no doubt that you can use the stock filter, or a K&N type filter and never have any issues with your bike due to them. This is what millions have done, and are doing, for decades. It is what I did for many decades.

In my quest to find ways to cool down my 103, this is one of the items I researched.

I initially looked at it to get a little extra cooling, and then to take a little bit of a load of the engine/oil pump power drain.

It does both of those well. I have around 100k miles using these now, and have come to realize the other benefits (not necessities).

35 microns is enough...100 microns is enough (that is what HD let's go thru), 35 is just better.

First is that yes, large particles will eventually get filtered by the paper filters...but in the meantime they are circulating thru the engine creating wear.

Paper filters clog, and go into bypass where nothing is being filtered. High RPM paper filter go into bypass where nothing is being filtered. Will this blow up your engine? No. But it is obviously better to filter than not to filter.

The magnet on the filter is a very nice feature.

The filter is a little smaller than stock, makes removal a bit easier/less messy.

If you change filters a lot (I change oil on one of my bikes 7-10 times a year), it is definitely cost effective. I use hot soapy water most of the time to clean the element, so that cost is minimal. The o-ring can be re-used indefinitely if it is handled with care.

Every feature of what an oil filter does is better with one of these, except they cost more if you do less than 10-12 oil changes over the life of the bike.

Cost is $109 for the black one-

http://www.dkcustomproducts.com/OUTL...DK-OCOF-AB.htm

DKCustomProducts.com
Call/Text: 662-252-8828
Email: Support@DKCustomProducts.com

Old 12-11-2013, 12:51 AM
HKMark23
Seasoned HDF Member

Thanx for that Kevin. That my (2014) engine is protected is my main concern. Being a total layman when it comes to this kind of thing causes me some extra angst I suppose. Your Dyno results you posted on the other thread earlier are the kind of thing that attracts my attention to this filter, along with the cooling you mention here. My plan will be to get one of these along with a spare filter insert and a handful of the "O" rings,, they're cheap. That way, I can quickly rinse out the filter body and slap in a clean insert during oil changes then pop the dirty insert in an ultrasonic cleaner so it will be thoroughly clean and ready for my next oil change. As to the costs, I don't struggle with spending 300 bux if its better for my $30,000 bike. Its all in how you look at it I guess. I just really need to know that 35 mic is 100% good enough. I expect my oil pressure gauge will tell me if a clogging problem were to occur or does the high flow filter have a bypass safety feature too ?

Anyhow, thanx for the great info in both your posts.

Old 12-11-2013, 01:05 AM
DK Custom
Platinum Sponsor

Thanx for that Kevin. That my (2014) engine is protected is my main concern. Being a total layman when it comes to this kind of thing causes me some extra angst I suppose. Your Dyno results you posted on the other thread earlier are the kind of thing that attracts my attention to this filter, along with the cooling you mention here. My plan will be to get one of these along with a spare filter insert and a handful of the "O" rings,, they're cheap. That way, I can quickly rinse out the filter body and slap in a clean insert during oil changes then pop the dirty insert in an ultrasonic cleaner so it will be thoroughly clean and ready for my next oil change. As to the costs, I don't struggle with spending 300 bux if its better for my $30,000 bike. Its all in how you look at it I guess. I just really need to know that 35 mic is 100% good enough. I expect my oil pressure gauge will tell me if a clogging problem were to occur or does the high flow filter have a bypass safety feature too ?

Anyhow, thanx for the great info in both your posts.
Yes, these have a bypass, but it is unlikely to ever actuate, the steel mesh filter flows 7 times what a paper one flows....also the bypass is variable (progressive) so it is not on or off.

Old 12-11-2013, 01:47 AM
Hopper
Road Warrior
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

8hp increase by reducing oil flow restriction? That's amazing.
You would not think it would take 8hp to power the oil pump when you look at the size of the drive gears and shaft compared to a 5 or 10hp electric motor shaft.

Old 12-11-2013, 02:03 AM
HKMark23
Seasoned HDF Member

Originally Posted by Hopper
8hp increase by reducing oil flow restriction? That's amazing.
You would not think it would take 8hp to power the oil pump when you look at the size of the drive gears and shaft compared to a 5 or 10hp electric motor shaft.
I'd have thought the horsepower was related less to running the pump per se and more to the force required to drive a liquid through small holes vs large ones making it more of a "hydraulics" issue than a mechanical one.

Old 12-11-2013, 10:01 AM
1Canuck
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 2,252 Likes on 1,439 Posts

Kevin
serious question. if one is to accept the claim of HP & TQ increase, the claim of 7 times better flow than stock or K&N, then why not also conclude that this filter only needs to be cleaned every second oil change without loss of flow or the bypass opening.
Steve

Old 12-11-2013, 10:29 PM
Hopper
Road Warrior
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I'd have thought the horsepower was related less to running the pump per se and more to the force required to drive a liquid through small holes vs large ones making it more of a "hydraulics" issue than a mechanical one.
It is the mechanical pump that powers the hydraulics. The power needed to push the oil through the filter comes from the pump, which comes from the crankshaft via the pump drive gears and pump shaft. 7hp is a hell of a lot for the stock pump to be putting through those gears and shaft. Must be some amazing steel they are using.
A normal 5hp electric pump motor uses a 1-3/8" diameter shaft, solid.

Old 12-12-2013, 02:37 AM
DK Custom
Platinum Sponsor

Originally Posted by 1Canuck
Kevin
serious question. if one is to accept the claim of HP & TQ increase, the claim of 7 times better flow than stock or K&N, then why not also conclude that this filter only needs to be cleaned every second oil change without loss of flow or the bypass opening.
Steve
I probably have a bit more than 20 oil changes that I've done on my bikes with this type filter. I typically change every 4000-5000 miles...every now and then a little less.

There is no doubt that I could probably go 2-3 oil changes without cleaning the filter and still have better flow than one of the paper filters....and I know a few guys that do that.

I guess I am just always curious, and since it cost nothing to pull the filter, look at it, and clean it, I always do that.

Old 01-03-2014, 08:47 AM
grbrown
Club Member
Received 2,851 Likes on 2,419 Posts
Exclamation

To be frank the performance gains don't sound believable to me. If true, none of us would be making stage 1 mods to our bikes, we'd be buying these filters instead.

Quick Reply: Reusable oil filters.