Oil Archive (no new posts) An archive of oil related questions and comments.

What is normal Oil Consumption?

Search this Thread

Old 04-07-2007, 10:09 AM
OldFenderGuy
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 21 Likes on 21 Posts
Default RE: What is normal Oil Consumption?

The Shovelhead and EVO engines tend to go through more oil than the newer TC's, but one quart every 1,200 miles seems a little excessive.

My EVO WideGlide goes through about 1/2 quart between oil changes (every 2,000 to 2,500 miles), while my TC bikes require no additional oil between changes.

If you want to talk about oil consumption on the Panhead and Shovelhead engines, well, that's a whole different story. LoL [8D]

Old 04-07-2007, 10:56 AM
EZ2Rider
Road Master
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yep, on the old bikes, the chain oiler and just plain "weeping" as the Brits call it, could use up a bit too. Kinda like Harley was hesitant to give up the "total loss" system.

Old 04-07-2007, 11:13 AM
KBFXDLI
Big Kahuna HDF Member
Received 31 Likes on 28 Posts

ORIGINAL: dastark

I'm dealing with a similar problem. 05 SE Fatboy. Can't find any indicators though. Dealer says keep an eye on it. For now I'm just keeping record of every qt. I buy/add. I'm thinking of switching from the Syn3 to Mobile or Amsoil.
Do a search as the 05's had a valve seal issue that was covered by warranty. There are several threads here about it.

Look here: https://www.hdforums.com/m_222244/tm.htm

You can also check to see if there are any recalls on your bike here: http://www.harley-davidson.com/EX/MN...bmLocale=en_US

Old 04-07-2007, 12:14 PM
Jules
Tourer
Received 24 Likes on 11 Posts

If everything seems to be running good and it's not leaking into the transmission, I wouldn't worry too much about it. It seems to be more than normal, but normal for one bike is differant for another bike. I had a 78 Ford pickup that used a quart about ever 1500 miles or so from the day my dad bought it new until I sold it with about 180,000 miles on it and it never had a problem. I would check the oil and make sure it doesn't smell like there's gas in it, and if you can get a compression test done that would give you a better idea what's going on. If all that checks out just ride it and keep an eye on the level.

Old 04-07-2007, 05:19 PM
vulhalla
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

03 Heritage, 21000 and no oil loss between changes here

Old 04-07-2007, 05:45 PM
texas tom
Tourer

If you have oil in the air filter you might be overfilling it,these engines will blow back thru the air filter if you overfill check it hot and dont add all the way to the full mark,that is not normal consumption even my shovel didnt use that much..now my amf sporty.....well I dont talk about it no more...Good luck.

Old 04-07-2007, 05:54 PM
iclick
Extreme HDF Member
Received 45 Likes on 31 Posts

ORIGINAL: 96RDKING

I got a 96 FLHRI almost a year ago and I have noticed I'm adding a qt every 1200-1500 miles. The guys I ride with don't see smoke comingout of my pipes and there areno puddles in the garage. So where's it going and is this normal?

By the way, thisweb sitehas become the most valuable asset I know for anybody who owns an HD.
How many miles are on the bike? I would say this is not normal oil consumption for an Evo with less than 150k miles on it, assuming it has had a steady diet of synthetic oil changed regularly. My '96 RK used about 1 qt./4-6k miles (depending on temperature) from the time I bought it in 1997 'til 2007 at 106k miles. If it isn't leaking, it is probably either escaping through the valve seals or oil rings. If visible, the former will show up upon deceleration, when you have high manifold vacuum levels which suck the oil around the seals into the combustion chamber. If the latter it will be seen upon acceleration. Just because you don't see it doesn't mean it isn't there, and 1qt/1k miles may not be enough to make a big enough cloud to be readily seen.

Try warming the bike up for a night ride and have someone to follow you. Oil smoke will show up more readily against a headlight than in daylight, and you may see something there.
Also, check your primary, as if you have a bad engine-primary seal (been there, done that) the engine oil may migrate into the primary. Check the primary oil level to see if it has changed since the last oil change.

Old 04-08-2007, 11:37 AM
clarkg1124
Advanced

My '03RK normally uses no oil between changes.If I get into really hot conditions(like idling and slow-speed during Bike Week)it will use about a pint.
Clark

Old 04-09-2007, 10:11 PM
96RDKING
6th Gear

Going to check the primary this weekend. I may have been overfilling the bike with oil though.I am going to keep a closer and better trainedeye on the level. Thanks again forall the insight.

Old 04-10-2007, 10:49 AM
scott4911
Cruiser

1 qt every oil change 2500-3000 is OK..

Quick Reply: What is normal Oil Consumption?