Oil Archive (no new posts) An archive of oil related questions and comments.

Lucas 20w50 Full Synthetic and 75w140 Full Synthetic Review

Search this Thread

Old 04-16-2018, 07:04 AM
67Shuv
Road Master

Received 386 Likes on 242 Posts

I recently went with Lucas Oils myself. 20-50 in the engine, their 75-140 gear lube for the trans and some ATF in the primary. So far the top end seems a bit quieter. No change in oil pressure, and the swap to ATF has all but eliminated the hydraulic clutch drag I used to have. The trans still has the first gear "clunk" but its improved some and it's a bit quieter all around. As long as it stays this way, I'll be using Lucas for the foreseeable future.

Old 04-16-2018, 03:18 PM
splattttttt
Ultimate HDF Member

Received 430 Likes on 379 Posts

Originally Posted by 67Shuv
I recently went with Lucas Oils myself. 20-50 in the engine, their 75-140 gear lube for the trans and some ATF in the primary. So far the top end seems a bit quieter. No change in oil pressure, and the swap to ATF has all but eliminated the hydraulic clutch drag I used to have. The trans still has the first gear "clunk" but its improved some and it's a bit quieter all around. As long as it stays this way, I'll be using Lucas for the foreseeable future.
sounds good. What were you using before the switch? Thanks!

Old 04-16-2018, 04:18 PM
KevenC
Novice
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi splatttt. I use the lucas in engine and primary and amsoil ( because thats what they had) and the lucas in the first 2 holes works great and the amsoil reduces "clunk" into gear and shifts smoother.I'm going to see if my supplier has the Lucas for the trans this year and see how it compares- I'll post and let you know, but it'll be about a month- parts to buy and install:-))) !!

Old 04-16-2018, 09:54 PM
splattttttt
Ultimate HDF Member

Received 430 Likes on 379 Posts

I started using mobil one on bikes since the late eighties. That was when they just came out with it and was popular in the pits
Been using AMSoil since I started riding HD bikes and it has made me a firm believer
I know Lucas has a long standing reputation on the drags. But not so much in endurance. So Imma little skeptical about trying it

Old 04-16-2018, 11:36 PM
nicktown
Cruiser
Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Didn't read every post. My question. If Lucas is so good, why add stabilizer to it?

Old 04-17-2018, 05:00 AM
67Shuv
Road Master

Received 386 Likes on 242 Posts

Originally Posted by splattttttt

sounds good. What were you using before the switch? Thanks!
I cant say with 100% certainty what was in it before. I bought the bike last November from an independent metric dealer that took it on trade. I'm pretty positive they took it to their closest HD dealer for the pre-sale service. So I'm guessing it had HD fluids in it. I'm 99.99% positive it had 20/50 in all holes. The primary was filthy and the trans oil seemed thin. I put 6k miles on the bike monitoring the fluids and changed them with Lucas stuff. Ran it for a week (about 800mi) and changed the primary and trans again to get the old stuff completely out. So far, so good. I've ridden the bike hard, loaded, and 2 up and haven't had anything but positive results ffrom the fluids so far. I've checked it hot, right off a hard back road rip and definitely didn't see anything "boiling" or "steaming" I'm assuming what the OP saw was areated oil after running, and oil vapors in the crank case. All of which are normal for any oil in a hot engine. Ive ran Lucas before in other things with good results, no reason this shouldn't be the same.

The following users liked this post:
splattttttt (04-17-2018)
Old 04-22-2018, 10:44 PM
tmsimmon
Cruiser
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default I think you got it right!

Originally Posted by splattttttt
I'm not a scientist, nor am I even a high school grad.
Started riding in my early twenties back in 06.
Raced bikes competitively before FI or synthetic oils were around. Back then, we stuck to the 3k mi rule of thumb.
Things are better now that science has progressed.
Gotta love it! But as I said earlier... I ain't no scholar. So the above stats don't mean much.
Can anyone here ( SEUSS ? please break it all down in layman terms for us/ me?
Love my AMSoil
I use AMSOIL and Redline in my transmission and Primary. Been doing that for a while, it’s easily available at most of our local Harley-Davidson dealers. I actually got turned on to it by a group of Iron Butt riders who spend a lot of time in Death Valley. I noticed it with my gauges, ran cooler and better oil pressure. Motor runs quieter.
Cheers!
Tim

splattttttt (04-23-2018)
Old 04-23-2018, 07:23 AM
1flhtk4me
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 86 Likes on 64 Posts

I just bought some Lucas 20-50 for the first time yesterday.
Went to Autozone to get Mobil 1 but found the Lucas for $1.25 a qt. less.
Thought why not.

I have used Mobil 1,Castrol and Redline in the past.
Could not tell any difference between them other than cost.

Last edited by 1flhtk4me; 04-23-2018 at 07:25 AM.
Old 04-23-2018, 07:53 AM
86glider
Road Warrior
Received 861 Likes on 515 Posts

For what it's worth to me,Just did a top end freshen up on my 86 EVO,after 33k was using 15-50 Mobil1 the entire time after dino oil break-in and found almost zero wear.Changed the rings anyway.5 qt. jug @Walmart $26 works for me

Old 05-09-2018, 04:24 PM
jpowell490
Road Master
Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts

Thread still going! I was very impressed with the Lucas at first When they bike became hot, it didn't seem to do so well. A good synthetic oil should help cool.
​​​​​​
Since this post, I started using Redline in everything. It cools very well and lasts a long time. Amsoil, Redline, Mobil all good oils.

N1ghtmare (06-07-2023)

Quick Reply: Lucas 20w50 Full Synthetic and 75w140 Full Synthetic Review