Oil Archive (no new posts) An archive of oil related questions and comments.

My first oil change on a 69 Ironhead, advice?

Search this Thread

Old 05-21-2023, 07:02 AM
chopper69
Intermediate
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default My first oil change on a 69 Ironhead, advice?

I have 1969 Sportster chopper which I purchased last year, I want to change the engine oil, not sure if the oil was changed before I purchased this bike or not. This is the first Harley I've owed and would like to start learning how to do some basic maintenance by myself. I watched a few Youtube videos and one recommended on the older Ironheads to let the engine run for at least 5 minutes before draining any oil, this would allow the oil pump to suck any old oil out of the crankcase and put it back into my oil tank, does this sound correct? Any input would be greatly appreciated...

The following users liked this post:
Rollbar (05-24-2023)
Old 05-21-2023, 07:30 AM
CoolBreeze3646
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 19,517 Likes on 6,888 Posts

Congratulations on your first post to HDF, to the Forum.

Yes that is correct. Additionally besides changing the engine oil, you should change the primary/transmission fluid also.

Get a factory service manual, it will help you learn. I am sure if you google "1969 Sportster Service Manual" you will come up with something like this for download:

https://www.ratbikeservice.com/HD/dw...%20Service.pdf

Also here is a good resource for older Sportsters along with the Sportster section of this forum:

https://sportsterpedia.com/doku.php

bustert (05-21-2023)
Old 05-21-2023, 08:17 AM
bustert
Grand HDF Member
Received 714 Likes on 625 Posts

yep he is right on!
run a few miles as hot oil drains quicker and movement helps pick up contaminates. the tranny shares the same oil via a transfer valve.
if your machine has the center plugs on the bottom, do not use them as nasty things can happen. use the tank drain and the primary case drain as the center plugs are very easy to strip out and if you do, NOT an easy external repair and NEVER use a NPT plug as it can destroy the case.
a lot of people want total drain, not going to happen, my 1974ch has 200k and never looked back because a tad bit of old oil remained. i use diesel engine oil.
REMEMBER: you have to fill the tranny separate from the tank. bike upright, remove level screw near foot peg and add in oil through chain inspection hole till it runs out.

pgreer (05-21-2023)
Old 05-21-2023, 08:43 AM
chopper69
Intermediate

I already order the 59 to 69 manual from ebay, just waiting for it to arrive. While I'm waiting I'll do some more Youtube research on how to change the primary/transmission fluids too. As my mechanical knowledge goes I can pull and rebuild a car engine with no problems, working on a Harley motor is all new to me, hopefully this site doesn't mind if I post a few questions from time to time if I get stuck on anything. Thanks for the welcome, I'm sure I may have a few more questions once I get into the oil system a little more, thanks again..

CoolBreeze3646 (05-21-2023)
Old 05-21-2023, 08:57 AM
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 15,043 Likes on 6,219 Posts

Welcome to the forum.

Old 05-21-2023, 09:28 AM
MattLS6
Road Captain
Received 441 Likes on 224 Posts

You might already know this but there’s no oil filter on a ‘69 (at least from the factory). First time I changed the oil on my ‘63 I went looking for a filter out of habit.

Old 05-21-2023, 11:05 AM
Y2K
Stellar HDF Member
Received 3,175 Likes on 1,331 Posts

The old Irons are a lot of fun and a lot of headaches ......congrats on you first H-D, it'll keep ya busy but what a sound when they run right.
If the chain oiler is still on it will be considered acceptable to use a quart of oil every 500 miles,many like I did years ago shut it off and installed a modern o-ring chain
and just used spray can chain lube once in awhile.
It'll still use more oil that a modern bike and need changed more often,some gets burned as there are no seals on the valve guides and with no oil filter and a hot Iron motor it will turn that oil after a few rides.
Expect hand numbing vibration at the handlebars,I learned not to wear a watch because it won't survive a long ride.
Remember when it gives you trials and tribulations that you're working with an antique that wants and needs lots of love.
I rode one daily for almost a decade and it wasn't a bike you park in the garage and bring out to ride without turning some wrenches every week.
Invest it some blue Loctite threadlocker and have fun.

Old 05-21-2023, 11:12 AM
Y2K
Stellar HDF Member
Received 3,175 Likes on 1,331 Posts

Oh and don't be surprised if it pukes a bunch of oil out the crankcase breather tube when you crank it over the first time after a long sit.

Old 05-21-2023, 12:08 PM
rocketnorton
Tourer
Received 247 Likes on 145 Posts

dont idle it too long, less ya got a big fan blowin on it
idle should not be real slow either
bout 1000 rpm
some want the sound of real slow idle, ironheads need more r's
15-20 min ride warms up the oil

Y2K (05-21-2023)
Old 05-21-2023, 06:39 PM
chopper69
Intermediate

Not sure what this bike had on it for an oil filter when it was stock, I believe the guy put on a oil filter conversion kit with a chrome screw on filter which I see on the other side of the bike. I found the oil drain plug on the bottom of my tank, I don't see any drain plug "on" my primary cover anywhere, I do see a drain plug on the bottom of the engine casing right behind the primary cover, I believe this is the plug you're telling me to be very careful of? Also trying to get familiarized with all my oil hoses, they look like they may need replacing in the near future. I have 2 hoses coming out the top of my oil tank, the bigger hose goes to my oil filter and the smaller hose goes inside my crankcase, the hose on the the bottom of my tank goes to the oil pump. Still trying to trace the other line in back of the oil filter, runs under the bike and it's tucked up somewhere behind the back of the engine, not much room back there to see anything. Can anyone tell me about the smaller hose going into the crankcase, what it does or what it's connected to?

Rollbar (05-24-2023)

Quick Reply: My first oil change on a 69 Ironhead, advice?