Harley Davidson Forums

Harley Davidson Forums (https://www.hdforums.com/forum/)
-   Oil Archive (no new posts) (https://www.hdforums.com/forum/oil-archive-no-new-posts-30/)
-   -   Is AMSOIL that good? (https://www.hdforums.com/forum/oil-archive-no-new-posts/111499-is-amsoil-that-good.html)

UNCCHarley 05-18-2007 12:00 AM

Is AMSOIL that good?

Forgive my ignorance in the matter, but I am starting to change my oil myself and see alot of people talking about AMSOIL. This is my first Harley and it will only get the best, but at $9.25 a quart, is it really that good? I want to go synthetic and considered Screaming Eagle oil but so many people seem to swear by AMSOIL.

How often do you all change your oil and filter?

How often do you change the Transmission fluid?

Any suggestions for a newbie on these would greatly be appreciated.

KBFXDLI 05-18-2007 12:06 AM

RE: Is AMSOIL that good?

Yes amsoil is good and I don't even use it. I use Mobil1Vtwin 20w50 synthetic from autozone in the engine, redline mtl in the primary and redline shockproof heavy gear oil in the trans. Summit Racing is close to my home so I get redline. Check out Redline at www.redlineoil.com.

Contact bear or sedbiker here if you want amsoil as they are direct dealers. The amsoil mcv 20w50 is great for the engine & primary but I would use the amsoil severe gear 75w90 gear oil in your trans.

Once you use the synthetics you won't go back to dino.......FWIW, syn3 made my engine clatter.

Wait you have a Sporty.....you want amsoil 20w50 in the whole thing or mobil120w50

HDWG 05-18-2007 12:07 AM

Amsoil is prolly the best syn...that and Mobil 1. Look in the tech forums and there is data on Amsoil and other oils in comparision, you know graphs and stuff. Amsoil says that you can change your oil and filter with them 25,000 or a year, which ever comes first if you use their oil and filters. So, in the long run there would be savings. In the comparision HD oil does not even make the chart;)

UNCCHarley 05-18-2007 12:09 AM

Well my bike ius coming up on 3,000 miles. The dealership said it does not need changed until 5,000 but I almost would rather change it myself so I know what is in there.

If one of the dealers wants to PM me a price shipped to 28078 for 4 quarts and a filter for a 2006 XL 1200R I am all ears

03 Softail 05-18-2007 05:34 AM

I'm using Amsoil in two harleys, a truck, car and two ATV's
great oil, also Redline and Mobil! are great, stay awy from H.D.Syn3. just my opion.
03 softail

Bill G 05-18-2007 01:27 PM

ORIGINAL: sledgeb1

Forgive my ignorance in the matter, but I am starting to change my oil myself and see alot of people talking about AMSOIL. This is my first Harley and it will only get the best, but at $9.25 a quart, is it really that good? I want to go synthetic and considered Screaming Eagle oil but so many people seem to swear by AMSOIL.

How often do you all change your oil and filter?

How often do you change the Transmission fluid?

Any suggestions for a newbie on these would greatly be appreciated.

Amsoil is a verytop notch syntheticoil, a lot better than the Syn 3 even though Syn 3 is a pretty good oil over all and will do just fine in your bike. I buy Amsoil on line and it is cheaper than the Syn 3 at the localHD shop, not much cheaper, if I recall correctly about 75 cents to a $1 a quart.

I use the Amsoil MCV 20/50 in the primary and engine and the Amsoil SVO 75/140 gear oil in the trany on my 07 Road King. The Amsoil SVG 75/90 gear oil is also very good in the trany.

You cant go wrong with the Amsoil or the Mobil 1 products as far as synthetics go.

Good Luck & Take Care,
Bill G

mp 05-18-2007 02:58 PM

Frankly, Amsoil is too much of a cult thing for me to trust in their oil. Any name brand oil will work fine in your bike, whether synthetic or not. I change my dino oil and filter every 2500 miles and used a semi-synthetic once. At about 125,000 miles my bike still burns no noticeable amount of oil- maybe a few ounces on a long ride on a blazing hot day.
The only way I can think of to justify the cost of synthetic is if you really abuse or race your bike. And synthetic still is polluted with combustion byproducts, so it needs to be changed regularly. You can probably go 5000 miles between changes with syn oil.

PosseRider 05-18-2007 09:39 PM

Here try this link WHOLESALE PRICING - Immediate Information by Email

Also you can go 10,000 miles between changes on a bike. I do it all the time & am not getting into a pi**ing match about it. It works. Just sold an 02 diesel truck with 498,000 miles on it that ran 60,000 mile changes & still burns no oil.

UNCCHarley 05-18-2007 09:52 PM

I did that this morning, have yet to get an email from them

Bill G 05-18-2007 09:54 PM

ORIGINAL: mp

Frankly, Amsoil is too much of a cult thing for me to trust in their oil. Any name brand oil will work fine in your bike, whether synthetic or not. I change my dino oil and filter every 2500 miles and used a semi-synthetic once. At about 125,000 miles my bike still burns no noticeable amount of oil- maybe a few ounces on a long ride on a blazing hot day.
The only way I can think of to justify the cost of synthetic is if you really abuse or race your bike. And synthetic still is polluted with combustion byproducts, so it needs to be changed regularly. You can probably go 5000 miles between changes with syn oil.

No matter what you think synthetics handle higher temps better than Dino oils, thats a fact, as I have worked in theoil and refiningindustry for 24 plus years, enough said.

Cult following or not :DAmsoil is one of the best synthetics out there along with Mobil 1 and some others. Any good quality synthetic, you pick the brand, is better in an air cooled motor period. Water cooled motors are a little more forgiving with heat issues.It only takes one overheat situation to damage rings and other vital engine parts. Dino oils fry and break down way before synthetics, so to me it is worth it for the exstra protection a synthetic provides.

Even Syn 3 provides a superior heat protection over Dino oils. No one is saying Dino oils will not provide high milage without problems. Again it only takes one overheat situation, period. I live in an area where it gets pretty hot in the summer and prefer the exstra protection of the synthetics myself, to each there own.

Take Care,:)
Bill G