Harley Davidson Forums

Harley Davidson Forums (https://www.hdforums.com/forum/)
-   Oil Archive (no new posts) (https://www.hdforums.com/forum/oil-archive-no-new-posts-30/)
-   -   Rookie mistake / Transmission oil into Engine oil hole (https://www.hdforums.com/forum/oil-archive-no-new-posts/1431115-rookie-mistake-transmission-oil-into-engine-oil-hole.html)

harley0711 04-30-2023 11:50 AM

Rookie mistake / Transmission oil into Engine oil hole

OK people I did a rookie mistake, been changing my own fluids for years, but yesterday I had a brain fart
I had drained all three holes and put the plugs all back in, I went to put a quart of Harley Davidson, heavy synthetic gear oil into my transmission, but poured it into the engine oil hole. as soon as I finish pouring the Oil, I realized my mistake. since the engine oil had already been drained, everything was empty on the side stand engine, not started, I simply took the plug out and allowed that 28 ounces to drain into a measuring cup. I allowed it to drip into the cup until it was all out, about an hour. Put the plug back in so here’s my question can I put that gear oil into my transmission? At $19-$20 a quart And the nearest dealer is 40 miles away,I hate to lose it, and the engine was not started. It just simply went through the case into the measuring cup. Since it’s all just oil I’m thinking it’s OK?

your thoughts

Tired 04-30-2023 11:53 AM

I'd use it and not worry about it for a second.

Jackie Paper 04-30-2023 12:02 PM

You're OK.

TriGeezer 04-30-2023 12:21 PM

As the others said.

BTW…CONGRATS ON EXACTLY 5,000 POSTS.

brakeless 04-30-2023 12:28 PM

I doubt it would even come close to what us old geezers did with our HS cars. STP Oil Treatment in the crankcase! Methinks you got most of anyways. Call it an oil residue removal using a cling agent. LOL!

harley0711 04-30-2023 12:46 PM

Thanks to everyone for their comments pretty much what I thought and to whoever it was that congratulated me on 5000 posts? Holy crap I had no idea. I logged on here many years ago and have learned a lot over the years. I even changed a 2004 bat wing into a road glide and then after two years change it all back to a batwing all by use of this form, my wife thought I was nuts and I probably was but I wanted to try out a road glide, bought all the parts back when you could buy them for 20% off retail and get free shipping. Did it all myself in my garage, but then got tired of it after two years and changed it all back and sold the parts right on this form. Again, thank you to everyone.

brakeless 04-30-2023 01:18 PM

So not to get too far off topic, I'm curious why you didn't like the RG. Dash too far? Fixed fairing?

harley0711 04-30-2023 01:47 PM

Originally Posted by brakeless (Post 21189091)
So not to get too far off topic, I'm curious why you didn't like the RG. Dash too far? Fixed fairing?

well, I Really liked my Batwing & I am a short rider / so yes, the ‘reach’ is did play into it. However that was 2006-2008, been on a Bat wing since. For those 2 years I rode thr RG = For ME, I did not see a real difference in ‘Felt’ sidewinds issues //// and I did ride in some heavy winds on Both Bikes. Had the 2004 till 2015 = 88K got a new 2015 Uktra Limited / only 25K on that bike as of today, getting ready to ride agian (#6) with www.rftw.us, May 16 all the way to DC

brakeless 04-30-2023 03:10 PM

Originally Posted by harley0711 (Post 21189119)
well, I Really liked my Batwing & I am a short rider / so yes, the ‘reach’ is did play into it. However that was 2006-2008, been on a Bat wing since. For those 2 years I rode thr RG = For ME, I did not see a real difference in ‘Felt’ sidewinds issues //// and I did ride in some heavy winds on Both Bikes. Had the 2004 till 2015 = 88K got a new 2015 Uktra Limited / only 25K on that bike as of today, getting ready to ride agian (#6) with www.rftw.us, May 16 all the way to DC

Cool, thanks for that information. I was just curious is all. Hey, good luck on that ride. Sounds like fun!

harley0711 04-30-2023 03:56 PM

Originally Posted by brakeless (Post 21189215)
Cool, thanks for that information. I was just curious is all. Hey, good luck on that ride. Sounds like fun!

thanks, both EG & RG are great Rides