Harley Davidson Forums

Harley Davidson Forums (https://www.hdforums.com/forum/)
-   Oil Archive (no new posts) (https://www.hdforums.com/forum/oil-archive-no-new-posts-30/)
-   -   Synthetic REALLY Necessary? (https://www.hdforums.com/forum/oil-archive-no-new-posts/330347-synthetic-really-necessary.html)

hd4evr2008 03-24-2009 10:39 AM

Synthetic REALLY Necessary?

I posted this in another thread, but I'm really curious as to the benefits of synthetics in these conditions. If you NEVER go more than 2,000-2,500 miles before changing oil, what's the benefit of synthetic oil in a TC 96" engine other than running a little cooler?

dawg 03-24-2009 11:30 AM

Nowt wrong with running dino and changing it appropriately.

dynarule 03-24-2009 01:09 PM

Synthetic oil will do nothing but drain your wallet.All this talk about longer drain inter, is just nuts. Think of it this way, if you leave that oil in for 5+k its still contaminated with particles that the filter cant remove no matter how good the oil MIGHT BE! Besides, have you ever heard of an engine failure using Dino oil? Engine failure comes from not changing your oil on regular basis or from not having oil in the first place. Save yourself some $$$ and keep using what has been proven for generations.

I know, im about to get atacked by the AMSOIL police for this post.:eek:

hd4evr2008 03-24-2009 01:26 PM

I just did an oil change on my 2007 SuperGlide with Mobil 1 V-Twin Syn..............can I just go back to HD 360 next change?

stevent 03-24-2009 03:16 PM

Yes, HD is comfortable with Dino oil, the only oil recomended by the factory is HD360 or Diesel oil every 5k, not Syn3, not Amsoil not Mobil 1.......

If it's good enough for them it's good enough for me.

big cahuna 03-24-2009 03:52 PM

well as long as nobody want's to reply to the question, I'll try. the main benefits of synthetic oil are higher detergent and anti wear ingredients then dino oil. There generally able to withstand higher temps without breaking down and sludging up your motor. In colder temps they flow better on startups, which means oil gets to the parts faster thus doing what oil is supposed to do. Alot of people claim they have lower oil temps with syn oil over dino oil. The higher detergent additives allow for longer change intervals, with moly, zinc, and phosphorus giving it the higher anti wear properties for extended changes. If you check out 'Bob is th oil guy's' web site there are voa [virgin oil analysis] and uoa [ used oil analysis] posted so you can see what any given oil starts out as, and how it's held up after actual use. that really should help anyone make an informed decision which oil to use. Sure synthetic oil will generally cost more then dino oil and it sure seems alot of people don't mind paying more for not having to change their oil every month.,,

WildBill2566 03-24-2009 04:09 PM

I think I've lost the will.....................................

rbabos 03-24-2009 04:25 PM

Is it necessary, NO. While it may have some benifits with good temp control of the oil and regular changes the bike will last just fine with dino. The only case I know of where synthetic is necessary is in a jet turbine engine. There maybe other special applications where dino won't work out but HD is not one of those.
Ron

dynarule 03-24-2009 04:35 PM

Originally Posted by big cahuna (Post 4756107)
well as long as nobody want's to reply to the question, I'll try. the main benefits of synthetic oil are higher detergent and anti wear ingredients then dino oil. There generally able to withstand higher temps without breaking down and sludging up your motor. In colder temps they flow better on startups, which means oil gets to the parts faster thus doing what oil is supposed to do. Alot of people claim they have lower oil temps with syn oil over dino oil. The higher detergent additives allow for longer change intervals, with moly, zinc, and phosphorus giving it the higher anti wear properties for extended changes. If you check out 'Bob is th oil guy's' web site there are voa [virgin oil analysis] and uoa [ used oil analysis] posted so you can see what any given oil starts out as, and how it's held up after actual use. that really should help anyone make an informed decision which oil to use. Sure synthetic oil will generally cost more then dino oil and it sure seems alot of people don't mind paying more for not having to change their oil every month.,,

LONGER DRAIN INTERVALS? What about all that wear metals in the oil that the filter cant remove? It is showing up in the UOA's that means your lubing your engine with wear metals. Kinda like using a buffing compound for oil!:D

rstew3 03-24-2009 04:50 PM

From what I have heard, the only advantages of synthetics are:

1. You can go longer between oil changes. Oil doesn't wear out, the filter does. When the filter is no longer doing it's job, the oil viscosity is lowered because of it being dirty. Not that I would do it with my bike, but the military does not change oil. They change filters, then top off the oil instead. If the military trusts their lives with that machinery, it's got to be OK for my bike.
2. You can use certain synthetics in all 3 cases, instead of having 2 different lubricants. Seems to be a good reason, but it's not going to be my deciding factor.
3. I know no performance advantages other than cooler temp startup. In cooler temps, use a different weight of dino to resolve that.

I have also noticed a disadvantage to synthetic, other than the price. Synthetic, by nature is thinner than dino. This helps in cooler temps, but it also causes a lot more noticable engine/drivetrain noise in all Harley's. It was definately noticable on my 07 1200C, and because of that, I will not be using it with my new FXDF.