Harley Davidson Forums

Harley Davidson Forums (https://www.hdforums.com/forum/)
-   Oil Archive (no new posts) (https://www.hdforums.com/forum/oil-archive-no-new-posts-30/)
-   -   Proper way to check oil. (https://www.hdforums.com/forum/oil-archive-no-new-posts/368940-proper-way-to-check-oil.html)

SoFla 07-21-2009 09:03 AM

Proper way to check oil.

I have a 2009 Road King Classic. I have read (forget where) two differing processes for checking the oil level. They both said to check hot.... but one said to wipe the dipstick, then screw it back in to check the level. The other said to wipe it and then to set it on the lip (not screwing it in). This obviously shows two different levels. Screwing it back in would appear to be higher than not screwing it back in.

So, from experience, what is the proper way to check the level?

I'm also considering buying one of those digital dipsticks (63004-09) so I can just push the button to see the level and temp. Anyone have thoughts of the accuracy of those?

But in the meantime, I need to know... screw or no screw?

Thanks !

dawg 07-21-2009 04:22 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Per manual, on sidestand with dipstick screwed all the way back in.

ghostflamed 08-13-2009 04:01 AM

The dipstick actually has printed right on it "Read screwed in" or something to that effect!

asm481 08-13-2009 08:37 AM

Isn't "setting on the lip" the way to read tranny fluid. With the bike standing straight up.

obonaven 08-14-2009 10:59 AM

Originally Posted by asm481 (Post 5421387)
Isn't "setting on the lip" the way to read tranny fluid. With the bike standing straight up.

Yes. Not too sure about if it sits on the kick stand or standing straight up.

straussi 03-18-2010 10:31 PM

Per the digital dip stick, I have one but recently removed it and went back to my stock dipper. The digital stick just doesn't seat right. Keeps slipping around, and leaks a little bit. And this is the second one I bought, I returned the first one because the readouts died within a few rides.

PistonPuller 03-18-2010 10:41 PM

Screwed in. A digital dipstick seems like a waste of money IMO

roopy 01-12-2011 05:44 PM

All the way in for engine oil on stand. To the lip for tranny check with bike straight up.

mkguitar 01-12-2011 10:54 PM

09, have the new version digital dipstick and i like it. ( had the old version on my evo)

Temp read out is accurate and removes need to install the other oil temp kit- I don't need to stare at a dial all day, just want to be able to check for reference once in a while.
I have mine installed upside down so i can reach over and hit the button, then glance down at the reading - usually at a light, but sometime running down the road.

I do like the rough indication of level.

and speaking of level, run your level LOW about a pint. this will reduce oil in your air cleaner, and reduce the chances of your oil dipstick being pushed up and out by crankcase pressure ( like when cranking up an on ramp!)

Mike

Uncle Salty 01-13-2011 09:39 PM

Your engine oil dipstick screws in? My wife's '09 Street Bob screws in but not my '04 Road King. Both are checked with the dipstick seated in the "home" position. (screwed in, pushed in)