Pacific Northwest Washington, Oregon and Idaho

Beginner Routes in Washington

Search this Thread

Old 04-05-2018, 03:14 PM
wolverinehusky
Grand HDF Member
Received 6,184 Likes on 2,253 Posts
Default Beginner Routes in Washington

Hey everyone. I recently picked up a 18 Road Glide Ultra. Have had my endorsement for awhile but my background is in dirt bikes in pure offload situations (450s and 750s). However, the new Harley is a huge step up so taking things really slow.

Any suggestions for easy beginner rides in the Greater Seattle area? Still in the break-in as the weather has been crappy. I hit Highway 18 for a little bit, which was pretty easy.

More focused on just some easy switch backs and avoiding drunks, meth heads and road ragers (i.e., I-5 and Highway 2 are out!).

Thanks in advance.

Old 04-05-2018, 05:28 PM
CaptainAwesome
Road Master
Received 216 Likes on 139 Posts

Try the 202 and 203. Other than a couple round-abouts on the 203 it's pretty laid back. There are some other roads that branch off around there that might work for you too, but some may have a bit more gravel than you want to deal with just yet. There are other roads out there but I don't know how far of town you're looking to go just yet and those can take an hour on the freeway just to get out far enough... and you're not going to want to be on the I-5 till you're comfortable on it and it's broken in.

You on the South side or North side? I'm guessing the south since you started with Highway 18.

Keep an eye on your clutch cable too. Mine got loose at 100 miles when I was breaking it in, meaning I couldn't pull the clutch in. I carry 2 small wrenches to tighten it up for a couple hundred miles after anything's been adjusted with it anymore. Did it again when I had the clutch seal replaced under warranty.

Last edited by CaptainAwesome; 04-05-2018 at 05:29 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by CaptainAwesome:
Low budget Dan (04-07-2019), wolverinehusky (04-05-2018)
Old 04-06-2018, 06:54 AM
GRWHD
Road Warrior
Received 256 Likes on 207 Posts

From those two you can hit the two main passes and allot of roads in the middle.
They are also nice alternatives when 5 & 405 are parking lots (and you are trying to get out of town).
Lots of back roads with some major twists.
I wonder through spurs off those and HWY 9 all the time.
Keep finding new roads, can't wait for the rainy season to end.

Last edited by GRWHD; 04-06-2018 at 06:56 AM.
The following users liked this post:
wolverinehusky (04-09-2018)
Old 04-09-2018, 12:20 PM
wolverinehusky
Grand HDF Member
Received 6,184 Likes on 2,253 Posts

Originally Posted by CaptainAwesome
Try the 202 and 203. Other than a couple round-abouts on the 203 it's pretty laid back. There are some other roads that branch off around there that might work for you too, but some may have a bit more gravel than you want to deal with just yet. There are other roads out there but I don't know how far of town you're looking to go just yet and those can take an hour on the freeway just to get out far enough... and you're not going to want to be on the I-5 till you're comfortable on it and it's broken in.

You on the South side or North side? I'm guessing the south since you started with Highway 18.

Keep an eye on your clutch cable too. Mine got loose at 100 miles when I was breaking it in, meaning I couldn't pull the clutch in. I carry 2 small wrenches to tighten it up for a couple hundred miles after anything's been adjusted with it anymore. Did it again when I had the clutch seal replaced under warranty.
Thanks. I'm South Seattle near 167 and 405.

Old 04-09-2018, 03:59 PM
son of the hounds
Grand HDF Member
Received 2,512 Likes on 1,301 Posts

Take Petrovisky to Maple Valley, then the back roads to Ravensdale, Cumberland, and explore both North and South. South, Mud Mountain road, and to the North, Kent Kangley.

Pop over Tiger Mountain on 18 and you have the both the east and west valley highways that run along both sides of the snoqualmie valley to Monroe, Snohomish.

In Snohomish, rt 9, Machias Rod, Wood Creek to Arlington and Granite Falls.

There are just too many great low traffic roads close by for you to ride on. Then, pop over 410 to Yakima, Yakima Canyon, Rte 10, 97 and we are just getting started.

Take an afternoon, a day, a weekend, a week, a month, a lifetime and find them all.

The following users liked this post:
CaptainAwesome (04-09-2018)
Old 04-15-2018, 07:05 PM
Ridin the Rockies
Advanced
Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

Take a few days and head South to Lacy, then turn NW on to 101 and follow the loop around the Olympic Peninsula. Overnight at Forks, plenty of little crab shacks along the route. Head back South to Aberdeen, turn East on 12 and return home. Make the ride a bit longer and see the park, then turn West in Aberdeen and go whale watching out of West Port or Ocean Shores.

South to Tacoma and then out on Hwy 7 to Morton and Hwy 12 through Packwood and around to Mt. Rainier, 123 North to 706 and back to 7 for the return home.

Too many places to see and ride around the state.

Old 04-06-2019, 01:20 PM
OldKent
Intermediate
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

My personal favorite is riding SE Green Valley RD. I don't know if you're familiar with Auburn, but guessing you live in the Kent/Renton area take 167 South and take 18 East. Take the Black Diamond exit, turn right onto SE Auburn-Black Diamond RD and then take a right on SE Green Valley RD.

Enjoy the route, it will take you out by Flaming Geyser Park. You can take it all the way up to Highway 169 and ride that all the way to Renton. There is a lot of curves on SE Green Valley RD especially near 169, but it's a nice small ride.