Pacific Northwest Washington, Oregon and Idaho

Vancouver BC to Suncadia

Search this Thread

Old 07-19-2018, 11:31 AM
disasterduke
Advanced
Received 172 Likes on 41 Posts
Default Vancouver BC to Suncadia

Hello. Mid-September I am attending a wedding at Suncadia near Cle Elum. I was planning on riding solo and the wife and kids would drive down in the car. I was hoping to find a nice riding route as I don't really have the appetite to stay on I-5 the whole way. Here is my plan:

Take I-5 then pop in to Sedro-Woolley
Take 9 all the way down to Northwest Snohomish
Take 2 down to Monroe
Take 203 down to I-90
Follow I-90 to Suncadia

I have a few questions. Google says 4.5 hours straight. I'll be stopping to take in the scenery and rest a bit. Make a fun day out of it. How long would you experienced riders give yourself to do this ride? This is my first Harley, but I have over 20 years experience on dirt bikes doing lots of back country rides. So I'm a decent rider. Bike is a 2012 Fatboy with windshield and bags. I can usually go 1.5-2 hours before needing to get off for 10-15 minutes. By the look of google maps, there is lots of cool places to stop and snap a few picks and have a drink of water. Any particularly good stops that are a must see?

Is there any better routes to go? I usually travel by car on the I-5, so am unfamiliar with any other highways in Washington. I'm totally open to changing my route if there is some must see/ride areas.

Thanks in advance for any help/input.

Cheers,
DD

Old 07-20-2018, 08:53 AM
GRWHD
Road Warrior
Received 256 Likes on 207 Posts

What about taking 2 (at Monroe) over to Leavenworth (just past) and then 97 down to Ellensburg (then back track).
Not sure how good 970 is but you could take it to back road some more then 10 to 903 and that would get you close.
Stevens pass is a better ride than Sno Crummy is IMHO.

The following 2 users liked this post by GRWHD:
disasterduke (07-30-2018), RidelikeDale (11-25-2021)
Old 07-22-2018, 01:52 PM
CaptainAwesome
Road Master
Received 216 Likes on 139 Posts

That route could work. The 203 is pretty laid back (for the area). Though if I was planning to make more of a ride out of things and not just get there, I'd do like Gary said and take Highway 2 and cut down after Leavenworth (which is a neat tourist town if you haven't been). Highway 20 and Diablo Lake/Dam is also a good ride and a few neat spots, but it will be a longer route. Might make for a good return route depending.

I'm not a huge fan of the i90 Pass, it can be fine or it can be full of people driving bat-sh** crazy. The pass over Highway 2 does pass a ski resort, been a couple months since I went over it but I'd pack for that just in case.

The less time you're on the i5, 405 or 90 the more enjoyable the route. I only use those roads when I've been riding all day and just need to get home.

I do ride the roads you mentioned when I'm looking to get out for a few hours, and it's a good route. But if you're looking to make a trip of it Highway 2 and Stevens Pass is more special I think. Though you mentioned mid-September and I'm not sure how soon Steven's Pass gets too cold, I went in March this year and while there was no snow on the road I did get stuck because of an "avalanche" for like 4 hours. Should be fine if you bring a coat or two, I would say Leavenworth would make it worth the trip if you haven't been yet.

The following users liked this post:
disasterduke (07-30-2018)
Old 07-23-2018, 07:32 AM
GRWHD
Road Warrior
Received 256 Likes on 207 Posts

Originally Posted by CaptainAwesome
That route could work. The 203 is pretty laid back (for the area). Though if I was planning to make more of a ride out of things and not just get there, I'd do like Gary said and take Highway 2 and cut down after Leavenworth (which is a neat tourist town if you haven't been). Highway 20 and Diablo Lake/Dam is also a good ride and a few neat spots, but it will be a longer route. Might make for a good return route depending.

I'm not a huge fan of the i90 Pass, it can be fine or it can be full of people driving bat-sh** crazy. The pass over Highway 2 does pass a ski resort, been a couple months since I went over it but I'd pack for that just in case.

The less time you're on the i5, 405 or 90 the more enjoyable the route. I only use those roads when I've been riding all day and just need to get home.

I do ride the roads you mentioned when I'm looking to get out for a few hours, and it's a good route. But if you're looking to make a trip of it Highway 2 and Stevens Pass is more special I think. Though you mentioned mid-September and I'm not sure how soon Steven's Pass gets too cold, I went in March this year and while there was no snow on the road I did get stuck because of an "avalanche" for like 4 hours. Should be fine if you bring a coat or two, I would say Leavenworth would make it worth the trip if you haven't been yet.
Yes 203 & 202 work great but you still get stuck driving over Snow crummy (which sucks).
I came through there recently, with the wonderful construction they have going on....... ONE LANE (that was heading west) loads of fun.
I took 202 to 203 once I got to North Bend (we take it allot these days) it is normally just as fast (if not faster) as taking 405 & I5 to get to I90.
From the looks of it I doubt they will finish the construction on the pass in the next couple of years.
There are sections on that pass they tend to drive 80 plus (totally nuts).
I don't know of any roads that allow you to bypass the pass completely.

The following users liked this post:
disasterduke (07-30-2018)