Pacific California | Nevada | Hawaii | Alaska

Anyone around the Barstow, CA area available tomorrow?

Search this Thread

Old 05-26-2017, 09:54 PM
interceptor_1972
Cruiser
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Sorry. Had to split the message up because the text was acting funny on the iPhone. But yes, I'll keep y'all posted. Plan on doing a constant check-in on Facebook at every fuel stop and to capture a picture of the bike at the location and one of the odometer. This will also capture the geographical location info in each picture. Will be keeping all receipts this time and will try to find a witness while I'm there - they said to find a LEO or Fire Fighter to use as a witness. Worst case, the pictures will have to do with the receipts.

I'm excited to try this adventure that is so elite :-). Btw, my name is Manoj :-) and thank you for all the input. I will need carrying some water and other fluids on the trip along with some snacks just in case there were any issues on the way. And I'll go look at that AOW now :-)

Old 05-27-2017, 12:23 AM
NORTY FLATZ
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 5,388 Likes on 2,952 Posts

Good luck, ride safe & stay awake!

Old 05-27-2017, 05:40 AM
BuzzCap7
Received 18,341 Likes on 10,703 Posts

Originally Posted by interceptor_1972
Sorry. Had to split the message up because the text was acting funny on the iPhone. But yes, I'll keep y'all posted. Plan on doing a constant check-in on Facebook at every fuel stop and to capture a picture of the bike at the location and one of the odometer. This will also capture the geographical location info in each picture. Will be keeping all receipts this time and will try to find a witness while I'm there - they said to find a LEO or Fire Fighter to use as a witness. Worst case, the pictures will have to do with the receipts.

I'm excited to try this adventure that is so elite :-). Btw, my name is Manoj :-) and thank you for all the input. I will need carrying some water and other fluids on the trip along with some snacks just in case there were any issues on the way. And I'll go look at that AOW now :-)
Here is the AOW for you if u were unable to locate it. Click HERE Manoj.

Police/Firemen are fine yes. Time wise it is easier to get someone at at gas stop.

I'll be watching you......what is ur FaceBook address? I am new to FB so I really do not know how to do it. Here is mine. Click
Facebook Post
or copy/paste this
Facebook Post

Ride Safe!!

Oh, if u can, a PIX of ur bike would be gd. Whooo Hooooo......you have an audience. You too i fu do not mind ur PIX on the website. (Incognito is better in my opinion.)

BuzzCap7

Old 05-28-2017, 12:42 AM
interceptor_1972
Cruiser

Originally Posted by NORTY FLATZ
Good luck, ride safe & stay awake!
Thank you. Made it without falling asleep lol. Total of about 1,168 miles according to GPS. Left there 5:45 am CST, got here 9:34 pm PST (11:34 pm CST). Unfortunately, couldn't find any witness but the motel owner where I'm staying said he'll be a witness. Too dark for the pictures in front of McDonalds but I did take some.

Old 05-28-2017, 12:48 AM
interceptor_1972
Cruiser

Originally Posted by BuzzCap7

Police/Firemen are fine yes. Time wise it is easier to get someone at at gas stop.

I'll be watching you......what is ur FaceBook address? I am new to FB so I really do not know how to do it. Here is mine. Click HERE or copy/paste this https://www.facebook.com/groups/boca...cleridersclub/.

Ride Safe!!

Oh, if u can, a PIX of ur bike would be gd. Whooo Hooooo......you have an audience. You too i fu do not mind ur PIX on the website. (Incognito is better in my opinion.)

BuzzCap7
Thanks Buzz. Made it in safe and in time. I think I just posted the specifics in response to another reply above. But the motel owner where I'm staying said he'll be happy to be the witness. So hopefully that works. Other than that, I have all the receipts.

And I'll post a pic of the bike when I get back home. This mobile web version is acting finicky. By the way, look me up on Facebook - Manoj Nayak - the cover photo is my Harley. And let me go check that link you sent. The Facebook one too 😊

Old 05-28-2017, 01:04 AM
interceptor_1972
Cruiser

I'll be watching you......what is ur FaceBook address? I am new to FB so I really do not know how to do it. Here is mine. Click HERE or copy/paste this https://www.facebook.com/groups/boca...cleridersclub/.

Ride Safe!!

BuzzCap7
Thanks for those links. The AOW is well put together. Even though I didn't get to see it till after, I'm glad I did most of those things - with the exception of staying away from trucks. I just kept passing them since it's hard to stay away from them on the super slab. 😊

Old 05-28-2017, 07:57 AM
BuzzCap7
Received 18,341 Likes on 10,703 Posts

EXCELLENT!!!!

Fun wasn't it?

There are many more waiting for you. :-)

BuzzCap7

The following users liked this post:
interceptor_1972 (05-30-2017)
Old 05-30-2017, 11:57 AM
interceptor_1972
Cruiser

EXCELLENT!!!!

Fun wasn't it?

There are many more waiting for you. :-)

BuzzCap7
Yessiree it was!!! Thanks for the tips and advice. It is much appreciated

And, as promised, here are a few of the pics from the trip.

Fuel stop in Albuquerque, NM

Stop for souvenirs near Sanders, AZ

Fueling up in Needles, CA (At this point, I'd already hit the 1,000+ miles needed for the Saddle Sore 1000)

At Needles, CA - 1,024 miles per GPS trip, 1,044 miles per Trip Odometer.

Stopping the clock in Barstow, CA with a fuel up

In Barstow, CA around 9:00pm PST (11:00pm CST) with 1,167 miles per GPS trip, 1,190 miles per Trip Odometer

Requisite shot in front of the McDonalds in Barstow, CA (Sorry for the crappy pic but it was pretty dark around 9:30pm PST)

Weather check before heading out of Barstow (All weather east of my destination)

Photo op off I-10 near Banning, CA (Mount San Jacinto in the background)

Mount San Jacinto near Banning, CA

Stopping the clock in Phoenix, AZ for the Bun Burner 1500 (1500+ miles in 36-hours)

In Phoenix, AZ - clock stopped at 1,599 miles per GPS, 1,629 miles per Trip odometer.

Near Guadalupe Mountain National Park, TX

Getting ready to enter Guadalupe Mountain National Park, TX

Photo op in Matador, TX

Back home. 2,642 miles per GPS Trip, 2,693 miles per Trip Odometer over 3 days

The following users liked this post:
BigTinVA (05-30-2017)
Old 05-30-2017, 02:37 PM
NORTY FLATZ
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 5,388 Likes on 2,952 Posts

Congrats on the ride. I'm surprised the odometers are so far off each other. I knew the speedo's would disagree, but the odo's?

Old 05-30-2017, 02:43 PM
interceptor_1972
Cruiser

Originally Posted by NORTY FLATZ
Congrats on the ride. I'm surprised the odometers are so far off each other. I knew the speedo's would disagree, but the odo's?
Thank you. That had me wondering as well. I did recently put a new rear tire (Michelin Commander 2), though it's the stock size. Not sure what would cause that but I've heard that mentioned in the past, to include in the Iron Butt Association ride guidelines that sometimes the speedometer can be off by as much as 4% and to take that into consideration because you may be doing less miles on a trip than what you thought.

Maybe someone has more info on why that could be.

Last edited by interceptor_1972; 05-30-2017 at 10:29 PM. Reason: Minor corrections