Panhead A place to talk about Panhead motors.

From Arizona to West Oz

Search this Thread

Old 07-10-2017, 11:58 PM
OzBobPanGlide
Advanced
Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts
Default From Arizona to West Oz

Bought this '65 roller from a shop in Arizona, shipped it to Australia.
Rebuilt with S&S P93 power, Baker 4 speed and BDL 3' primary.
Kept the OEM '61 engine and '65 box for rebuild/future project.

Old 07-11-2017, 06:31 AM
heavymetalthunder
Grand HDF Member
Received 542 Likes on 396 Posts

nice, enjoy it.

Old 07-13-2017, 08:38 PM
johnjzjz
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,536 Likes on 2,872 Posts

sweet dude

Old 07-17-2017, 07:27 PM
OzBobPanGlide
Advanced

Left side shot, updated with new correct length cables and front brake lever fitted.
I have one issue I am looking for thoughts on. The S&S P93 engine with "E" shorty carb and converted to points ignition, starts easily cold and starts first kick when warm. But is very hard to start when hot, could this be a timing issue, one or two degrees out?
Manifold is sealed, engine is brand new , just completed run in miles (1000) and runs very well, just difficult to start when hot, eg; stop for fuel and go again.
Thoughts??

Old 07-17-2017, 08:35 PM
johnjzjz
Seasoned HDF Member

what is in the distributor - points a magnetic trigger - check the advance unit it must be china stuff - the bearing unit is way better BUT I do not believe they make it for the reverse direction unit you have

The following users liked this post:
OzBobPanGlide (07-17-2017)
Old 07-17-2017, 09:43 PM
OzBobPanGlide
Advanced

John,
I converted it to points from the S&S electronic set up.
It has a new, (200 miles), advance and points plate to suit 70up shovel head in the OEM S&S timer, that I'm 99% sure is from China (J&P cycles. Premium Advance , points conversion kit, ).
Fitted with Blue Streak points and Condenser and static timed.

Last edited by OzBobPanGlide; 07-17-2017 at 09:45 PM.
Old 07-17-2017, 11:46 PM
OzBobPanGlide
Advanced

Pic as purchased and one installed with BLue Streak points n condenser

Old 07-30-2017, 10:20 PM
OzBobPanGlide
Advanced

Starting issue again yesterday, out for a great ride, bike started on the kicker without issues until I stopped for some lunch, bike sat for around an hour, and did not want to start when time to leave.
Getting the gear together to check timing with a strobe light. Hopefully just a tweak of timing required. Sometimes I think the "E" is overfuelling the 93" stroker, will double check timing first, and move forward from there.

Old 07-31-2017, 07:00 AM
johnjzjz
Seasoned HDF Member

in your picture at the 5 o clock spot is a pin that is the issue spot for the china unit and that is one - riverra make one that uses a small bearing on the pin to control the units movement, the metal on metal china is made by 9 year olds it does not do the job even with electric start they are never right

usually hot strokers need to be found out what they want

some -- no throttle at all just kick it - in the 1920s riders book they recommend to start a bike that way set the throttle closed and kick my 1926 JD will only start this way hot as it needs the throttle closed to pull fuel up and in to start

some want the throttle to be rolled on as you go down with the kicker, an all in one motion - BUT - always a but - the acc pump cant be too rich only 1 and 1/2 turns out - as the engine is big and its sip on the main jet tube in the float bowl is all important
( note ) the main jet tube has small holes drilled along its side they are the fuel sip for both starting and hi speed ) 40s 50s indian chiefs and knucklehead, panheads, are problematic to start hot - we solder the lower 2 holes in the tube in the linkert carb to fix that -- but they do not have an acc pump soo

third way shovel hot -- the old super B wanted a wide open throttle to start but the float level height to kickstand angle had to be finessed to get that right

you need to be very organized to learn a start up procedure especially with a stroker. once you have it you can tell from the way it smells how its going to start Today

Old 07-31-2017, 05:04 PM
OzBobPanGlide
Advanced

Cheers John
I tend to agree with you about finding what it wants.
I will look into the Rivera unit for sure, I think I ned to be sure 100% timing is corrct first, then chase the start up procedure.
It is true though what they say, my last ride out with my wife on her bike, the pan fired no problems with just me an her around. As soon as the pan drew a crowd, no start. LOL
They all left and BAM away she went. F*cker.

Quick Reply: From Arizona to West Oz