Panhead A place to talk about Panhead motors.

Selling a Panhead

Search this Thread

Old 08-20-2017, 12:25 PM
ft6
Stage I
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Selling a Panhead

New on here and there is a whole lot about Harley's I don't know.

I'm getting ready to sell my Brother's bike. He passed away in 2012 and my Mom (who is 90) finally decided maybe its time for the bike to go.

So, here is the background. My brother bought this bike around 1985 in Tennessee. He would have been about 22 at the time. It had been wrecked and had a sidecar (which he sold and later kicked himself for selling). When he put the bike back together he stretched the front end a bit. A few years later he moved back to New York State and decided to put the bike back to "stock".

Photos (can't seem to upload, so I'll try links)
Left side
Right sde
Engine

I was always under the impression the bike was a 1956 FLH. But.. The NY registration states 1966. Worse yet, the VIN number on the registration is 66GExxxx - which from what I understand is a Servi-Car. I have two copies of the registration from 1997 and 2002 and a copy of the insurance renewal for 2011-2012 - all have the same VIN number and the reg shows the bike as black and red - and... the license plate on the bike has a 2013 expiration sticker but the plate number does not match the registration..

I'm trying to find the VIN number.. Left side of the block, right? Not finding anything but I think its right above that big bolt in the center of the engine picture - I just have to move some wires to see it.... Old friend of my brother looked at the bike a couple of years ago and said the VIN number was scratched off...

My guess - my brother got the bike without any paperwork and got some other paperwork to register it in Tennessee.. Or it came with the wrong paperwork to begin with. And he had it registered that way for years. I'm pretty sure he didn't ride in 2012 - he was to sick - and he wasn't riding much between 2000 and 2011 because of a back injury. But, I can well imaging he didn't have things quite legal...

So, questions..
Whats a good ballpark value for this bike? Its been sitting since 2012 in dry storage but probably was last run in 2011 and its not exactly "pretty" in a shiny sort of way.
What do I do about the VIN number? Yeah, engines get swapped out and who knows with a 50+ year old bike.

Thanks!
Mike

Old 08-25-2017, 09:35 PM
Tee&Vee
Stellar HDF Member
Received 94 Likes on 82 Posts

That bike is worth very little because of the "unknown" aspect of the bike. That is what i would say to you if i were a buyer. I would not accuse your dead brother of thievery but others may and it could be heartfelt or they could be trying to knock your price down.

That bike, if it is all Harley, is worth lots of money in parts. The heads in runnable condition are worth almost a thousand, more if the exhaust spigots are clean and whole. The clamshell rockers are worth a few hundred. Ironically the rocket covers aren't as valuable.

The transmission is about $800. If those are original paint tins then you're in the two thousand ballpark. The frame has been altered then re- altered so that would diminish its value some. A '56 should have a straight leg hardtail. That seat might catch somebody on the auction site asst the right time.

Good luck with whatever you do.

Check out Instagram @chopperswapper to see current prices.

Old 08-25-2017, 10:17 PM
johnjzjz
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,528 Likes on 2,867 Posts

put me on the yes to buy list - pm me is and when you can

Old 08-25-2017, 10:39 PM
johnjzjz
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,528 Likes on 2,867 Posts

Originally Posted by Tee⋁16568688
That bike is worth very little because of the "unknown" aspect of the bike. That is what i would say to you if i were a buyer. I would not accuse your dead brother of thievery but others may and it could be heartfelt or they could be trying to knock your price down.

That bike, if it is all Harley, is worth lots of money in parts. The heads in runnable condition are worth almost a thousand, more if the exhaust spigots are clean and whole. The clamshell rockers are worth a few hundred. Ironically the rocket covers aren't as valuable.

The transmission is about $800. If those are original paint tins then you're in the two thousand ballpark. The frame has been altered then re- altered so that would diminish its value some. A '56 should have a straight leg hardtail. That seat might catch somebody on the auction site asst the right time.

Good luck with whatever you do.

Check out Instagram @chopperswapper to see current prices.
TV - Don't think I am picking on the machine - its a nice piece but its is not unmolested, to a degree and we deal in original examples >> the most value

the exhaust is a single and the mufflers are incorrect -- the kicker cover is wrong exhaust wont go by if it were still duel or single exhaust, and kicker as well incorrect -- the oil tank is wrong -- the front fender has no holes for the side trim yes maybe welded in then why the top light and knerf bar possible re pop --- spot lights are not correct -- handlebars and risers are not right -- the rear original fender had 3 holes for the brace that connects the buddy seat helper spring kit on all fenders it has none -- the gas tanks in the center slit for the T bar does not match left and right side tank -- generator end cap is a bearinged 1962 on it should have a bushing type end cap with a flip up oiler -- the tail light is chrome yes it was an option BUT it could have been the painted one chromed very common -- more but it is a nice machine I like it

the handlebars are wrong --

Old 08-31-2017, 11:04 PM
lh4x4
Extreme HDF Member
Received 929 Likes on 571 Posts

I can't help you with knowledge about the pan but I can suggest info on how to title it.

First get an appraisal from a H-D dealer. Get a bond for double that amount. Get a copy of the death certificate. Get a court certificate stating who is the estate executor/s.

Then who ever buys it provide a bill of sale fully describing the bike with the date and purchase amount Signed by the executor and copies of the death certificate, court order naming the executor. Some states want a copy of the will also but not all.

That buyer then in most states can get a new title (some issue with a VIN though). The issuing state then has a recourse if someone claims it is theirs and provides proof they can collect from the bond the amount of loss but not the bike.

The real issue is the engine with no VIN.

Someone will always want to buy it if only for parts. That may be the best route.

The bike as a whole is shady and shady for any subsequent buyer. In parts only the engine cases without VIN is shady.

Good luck.

Last edited by lh4x4; 08-31-2017 at 11:09 PM.
Old 09-14-2017, 03:51 PM
musicnbikes
Road Master
Received 78 Likes on 57 Posts

Originally Posted by ft6
New on here and there is a whole lot about Harley's I don't know.

I'm getting ready to sell my Brother's bike. He passed away in 2012 and my Mom (who is 90) finally decided maybe its time for the bike to go.

So, here is the background. My brother bought this bike around 1985 in Tennessee. He would have been about 22 at the time. It had been wrecked and had a sidecar (which he sold and later kicked himself for selling). When he put the bike back together he stretched the front end a bit. A few years later he moved back to New York State and decided to put the bike back to "stock".

Photos (can't seem to upload, so I'll try links)
Left side
Right sde
Engine

I was always under the impression the bike was a 1956 FLH. But.. The NY registration states 1966. Worse yet, the VIN number on the registration is 66GExxxx - which from what I understand is a Servi-Car. I have two copies of the registration from 1997 and 2002 and a copy of the insurance renewal for 2011-2012 - all have the same VIN number and the reg shows the bike as black and red - and... the license plate on the bike has a 2013 expiration sticker but the plate number does not match the registration..

I'm trying to find the VIN number.. Left side of the block, right? Not finding anything but I think its right above that big bolt in the center of the engine picture - I just have to move some wires to see it.... Old friend of my brother looked at the bike a couple of years ago and said the VIN number was scratched off...

My guess - my brother got the bike without any paperwork and got some other paperwork to register it in Tennessee.. Or it came with the wrong paperwork to begin with. And he had it registered that way for years. I'm pretty sure he didn't ride in 2012 - he was to sick - and he wasn't riding much between 2000 and 2011 because of a back injury. But, I can well imaging he didn't have things quite legal...

So, questions..
Whats a good ballpark value for this bike? Its been sitting since 2012 in dry storage but probably was last run in 2011 and its not exactly "pretty" in a shiny sort of way.
What do I do about the VIN number? Yeah, engines get swapped out and who knows with a 50+ year old bike.

Thanks!
Mike
I'll give you 800.00 for it.

Old 09-15-2017, 09:42 PM
harleyjohn45
Intermediate
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

This motorcycle is valuable, You would need a left side engine case with good numbers. From the looks of the motorcycle it needs going through completely. At the swap meets, I see bikes like this at 8000.00.