Harley Davidson Forums

Harley Davidson Forums (https://www.hdforums.com/forum/)
-   Panhead (https://www.hdforums.com/forum/panhead-64/)
-   -   Mouse Trap Adjustments (https://www.hdforums.com/forum/panhead/147639-mouse-trap-adjustments.html)

Bigg 09-05-2007 10:43 AM

Mouse Trap Adjustments

Guys,
I have a 1950 Pan -4 speed transmission with a mouse trap clutch system. I am looking for any information I can find on the fine tuning of a mouse trap.

Bigg

crampfan 09-05-2007 01:28 PM

RE: Mouse Trap Adjustments

What kind of problems are you having with it? It's pretty simple, basicly a helper spring. You will want to adjust the MT spring tension to be just below the clutch spring tension. and the overcenter stop a little past overcenter so when the MT is released there is freeplay in the clutch arm. you can play with those adjustments to getthe clutch to "feel" the way you want. (it's easer to show you than to try to explain it)
the cable adjustment is just like any other, have about a 1/8" of play.

Bigg 09-07-2007 02:17 PM

Basically the problemI am having is that you have no feel in the clutch.. as you release the clutch, the moment you feel the clutch grab it releases... Running down the road is fine, but when starting up its a pain.. does thaat make any sense.. Or is it that is the way MT's operate it's either open or closed no inbetween.. ?

crampfan 09-07-2007 02:46 PM

OK, The problem you are having is not due to adjustment, it's in the clutch it self.
remove the clutch plates, disc's, and finger spool. there is a fiber plate riveted to the finger spool, make sure the rivets that hold the fiber plate are tight. next look at the fingers, and make sure they are not loose in the hub.if they are you will need to have them tightened. or you can just buy a new finger spool, I would stay away from the "five finger" as the OEM is about as good as any. check that thediscs are not greasy, and that theplates are not glazed (shiny) you can have the plates beadblasted, or sand them yourself. Anyway that is most likely the cause of your problems. I hope this helps some, Bob.

Captain Harley 09-10-2007 08:45 AM

If I ever get serious about adjustingthe "trap" on my '65 Pan. I always have the Harley manual close by
plus being sober helps. Crampfan gives you good advice and with the Harley "bible" you should be able
to fix your problem. Let us know how it turns out..... AMF;)Ride Safe

Panshovel66 09-12-2007 12:36 PM

If you're not used to a mouse trap setup, it will feel 'dead' at first. After a while you'll get used to the feel of it. When servicing the trap, remember, they call it a mouse trap for a reason. If you take the rod from the trap to the tranny loose, treat the trap like a loaded gun! Luck will give you a life lesson. Bad luck will give you a new road name, "Four Finger"!;)Seriously, it stings a bit if the trap snaps on you.