Powdercoat & Paint A place to discuss everything about powder coat and paint for your Harley.

Black Out Regrets

Search this Thread

Old 02-06-2015, 10:50 AM
Dogs57
Tourer
Received 80 Likes on 52 Posts

I have been blacking out my Night Train since I got it. It still has a small amount of chrome and aluminum on it with just a touch of orange. I like the contrast between colors and it breaks up the black. I'm still not done with it. I would like to put the black Crossbones rim on the back and a black Wide Glide rim on the front. The picture below is an old one. Since then I have blacked out the turn signals, headlight, triple trees, and risers. Don't regret doing any of it.

Old 02-06-2015, 10:51 AM
Dogs57
Tourer
Received 80 Likes on 52 Posts

I guess the risers are black in the picture already, my mistake.

Old 02-06-2015, 08:29 PM
06SGWA
Road Master
Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts

You don't hear about people taking their black parts in to get chromed... They must like it.

I don't see how anyone would regret it. You can always go back to chrome.. or anodized fuchsia... or whatever you want. If you dig the blacked out look, forget what everyone else thinks and go for it!

Old 02-07-2015, 12:48 PM
load97
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 112 Likes on 99 Posts

Originally Posted by O-Town D
Since day one I've been adding a darker look to my FB, easy enough to do since it was already in 'Vivid Black.' But recently I've added a couple of small chrome pieces for a little more accent/contrast. Not saying I regret going dark, just want to brighten things up a tad. At some point I'll achieve the 'perfect balance.' Wish you luck on your project. ~
I wouldn't have any regrets on that bike. Sharp!

Old 02-16-2015, 11:56 PM
SafetyMan
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 79 Likes on 65 Posts

It's a work in progress.

2014 FLHTK, I'm over $30,000 spent on it.

Not a single regret.

WELL... that's not totally true....

I honestly regret getting the chrome air wing luggage rack and chrome Big Louies. I wish I would have got black....

I'm looking for a good powdercoater around me to change all that.

Old 02-17-2015, 08:48 AM
DMetcalf
Road Captain
Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts

I am working on blacking my 08 out as well. Love the look..!

Old 02-18-2015, 03:12 PM
jam436
Supporter
Received 72 Likes on 53 Posts

No regrets whatsoever - it was my intent to black my '13 Slim out as soon as I bought it.
Besides any time parts are offered in more than one finish, black is always one of them.
So parts are easy to come by and black goes with everything...

Old 06-25-2018, 09:05 PM
IGotYourFatBob
Novice
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by O-Town D
Since day one I've been adding a darker look to my FB, easy enough to do since it was already in 'Vivid Black.' But recently I've added a couple of small chrome pieces for a little more accent/contrast. Not saying I regret going dark, just want to brighten things up a tad. At some point I'll achieve the 'perfect balance.' Wish you luck on your project.
~
I like that exhaust, are those slip ones?

Old 06-27-2018, 10:43 AM
Rickr01
Club Member
Received 76 Likes on 68 Posts

My Street Glide is Chrome and my slim has the black out look. I don't regret the look one bit, its bad *** looking on the slim. Something to keep in mind however, is that black shows scratches just looking at it. Stand back and it looks great but put a light on it and hold your breath. Its just a part of the black out experience...Lol!

Old 07-11-2018, 01:49 AM
Ice-Child
Intermediate
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Top is from right before I put the new wheels, pulley and had her regeared (30t-70t). Second is the wheels and rear pulley. Still need to get some better pics with the new wheels. Lots more black coming now that I have my powder coat setup, up and running Black and chrome is a classic look and will always be around. Cant go wrong with black and chrome. New fenders and taillight, move the license plate and get the seat redone. Lots to do and so little time (and money) to do it. 117 kit is in, want to change out the cams and jets then get her re-dynoed with some wideband O2 sensors (still need to order them) next.

Quick Reply: Black Out Regrets