Powdercoat & Paint A place to discuss everything about powder coat and paint for your Harley.

Fatboy wheel powder coat prices

Search this Thread

Old 02-25-2015, 10:37 PM
BisbeeDyna
Tourer
Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Fatboy wheel powder coat prices

I've got my solid Fatboy wheels at the powder coater to be media blasted. My idea was to powder coat the flat ring with the holes in it to match the pin striping on my new tins. The estimate for media blast was around $100 which I can live with. But! the price for powder was another $400 for just the ring and was $300 for painting the ring on two wheels.

Curious if others have had this done and the cost involved. I understand there's a lot of taping off to do just that area but think it's way too high.

Old 03-03-2015, 12:58 AM
Sprawl
Advanced
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

I have not had that exact thing done, since I do not own your bike model. However I have had a lot of powder coating done on cars and scooters. I have attached a pic of my current scooter. Everything u see in Orange other than the tins has been powder coated. Some of the parts were chrome some were just the stock harley finish. I have spoked rims at the powder coaters as we speak and my bill is going to be A LOT less than the dollars you are speaking of. Sorry to drag this response on so long...but if you look closely u will see that my Brake DISKS have been powder coated orange, not only the center ring but the unfinished ring that runs the entire circumference of the disk. I point this out since this probably involved a lot more prep (taping and being very cautious not to spray the part of the disk my brake pad grabs) vs your project....phew with that mouth full said, I was charged $75 for the pair.....powder is cheap, labor to shoot is is cheap....the labor taping things is the cost, but still think u should look around. Hope this helps

Old 03-06-2015, 08:12 PM
BisbeeDyna
Tourer

Well I changed up a little after seeing them media blasted and decided to powder the whole wheel and then I'll paint the inner ring myself. It's a lot cheaper to do the whole thing than tape off everything but the 1" ring. You're spot on about the cost for prep driving the price up. Final cost is gonna be just under $100 per wheel which may still be to high but these folks are the only shop within a hundred miles.

Thanks for the reply and the pic. Nice bike!

Old 03-07-2015, 05:06 AM
Sprawl
Advanced
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Awesome, glad that worked out for you. Post some pics on this thread once they are done. Thank you as u know its always an ongoing project!

Old 04-11-2015, 10:39 PM
BisbeeDyna
Tourer

Changed my mind again. Powdered the whole wheel and took them to a pin striper to do the outer edge the same as the striping on the tins. Haven't installed the front yet but here's a couple of pics.

The rear went flat just sitting on the bike so I got it aired back up, found a leak around the rim and got it stopped with some sand papering. The tire stayed up for a week and a half. Wrapped up the rest of the bike today and took it for a short ride. Tire still had 40# in it but went flat within two miles. Anyone else had a problem like this with powdered tubeless wheels??

Old 04-13-2015, 01:04 AM
JRK5892
Banned
Received 24 Likes on 22 Posts

all depends on how the wheel was coated and masked have any pics pre install, sandpaper should never be sued to clean up a bead seat surface, not sure how that would cure a leak

Old 04-13-2015, 08:34 AM
BisbeeDyna
Tourer

No pics of any of the prep process Joe. It rained all day yesterday so I didn't get the chance to ride again but the tire is still up. Wasn't sure about the sandpaper.Thought maybe the surface was too slick. A friend suggested some type of sealing/sticky compound the indy used on his.

I'm open to suggestions.

Old 05-07-2015, 07:16 PM
BisbeeDyna
Tourer

All is well with my wheels now so i thought I would post some pics of the bike as it is and has been for a couple of weeks. Trying to decide which look I like the best.

Old 05-17-2015, 09:18 PM
run1fsr
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 66 Likes on 44 Posts

Looks great … I want to do the same to a solid rear wheel for my Springer.

So what was your cost to blast and power each wheel minus the pin striping?

Thx / Frank

Old 05-17-2015, 09:32 PM
BisbeeDyna
Tourer

It ran just under $100 per wheel which I think was a little too high but I didn't have to drive 120 miles one way to get it done. This company is the only one in the area so I guess it was worth it. I had the bile up on a lift this weekend to clean it up a little and the wheels were super easy to clean.