Powdercoat & Paint A place to discuss everything about powder coat and paint for your Harley.

Powdercoat vs. Paint

Search this Thread

Old 03-02-2015, 12:01 PM
rauchman
Grand HDF Member
Received 3,238 Likes on 1,255 Posts
Default Powdercoat vs. Paint

Greetings,

I'm thinking about getting my rims done. Someone suggesed powdercoating them. I'm not familiar with this process, so have some ?'s....

How does powdercoating differ from painting?
Does powdercoating scratch, nick, etc.? How durable?
Is application easier/cheaper?
Can multiple colors be applied?
Is powdercoating recommended for coloring rims? Any drawbacks?
Any prep involved in sending to a powdercoater?
Will result be gloss / matte?

Thanks!

Last edited by rauchman; 03-02-2015 at 12:04 PM.
Old 03-02-2015, 05:46 PM
WVFLHX
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Short answer... Powder coat is a powder that is baked onto the part, adheres by electrical charge of the part. Any color, flat or gloss. No prep work, except the bearings should be pulled out of the wheels. I would assume you may need to do this. Powder is more durable. I would suggest powder over paint for rims, or almost anything.

Old 03-03-2015, 12:35 AM
Sprawl
Advanced
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

That is a great technical explanation of powder coating. You can basically powder coat anything that is metal...even things that are chromed (with some minor prep). I have attached a photo of some things on my sled that are powder coated as an example: The color wheel on powder coating is endless...they can shoot gloss, flat or in my case powder coatings that contain what looks like metal flake. It is also a lot cheaper to have done vs a paint shop.

Everything you see in Orange other than the tins have been powder coated. Side note I have my rims ordered which are being powder coated black.

Old 03-03-2015, 08:31 AM
rauchman
Grand HDF Member

Originally Posted by WVFLHX
Short answer... Powder coat is a powder that is baked onto the part, adheres by electrical charge of the part. Any color, flat or gloss. No prep work, except the bearings should be pulled out of the wheels. I would assume you may need to do this. Powder is more durable. I would suggest powder over paint for rims, or almost anything.
Excellent, thank you! Interesting, so the powder coat is more durable than paint.

Originally Posted by Sprawl
That is a great technical explanation of powder coating. You can basically powder coat anything that is metal...even things that are chromed (with some minor prep). I have attached a photo of some things on my sled that are powder coated as an example: The color wheel on powder coating is endless...they can shoot gloss, flat or in my case powder coatings that contain what looks like metal flake. It is also a lot cheaper to have done vs a paint shop.

Everything you see in Orange other than the tins have been powder coated. Side note I have my rims ordered which are being powder coated black.
Wow, that orange is powder coat? Very cool. You've given me ideas. I'll have to find out how to remove the wheel bearings. Thanks!

Old 03-03-2015, 09:40 AM
WVFLHX
Advanced

Yes, more durable.( if correctly applied) Most powder coat is fuel and oil resistant also. Most guys that race bikes and quads use powder due to the abuse it takes

Old 07-02-2015, 01:49 PM
rauchman
Grand HDF Member

As the idea ferments in my head, is it possible to do a combo chrome and black gloss powder coat on the FLD rim? Basically, I'd like to have the raw aluminum area of the rim chromed, and the black area powder coated gloss black.

Old 07-03-2015, 01:57 PM
jakazz
Road Captain
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

yes, u can , costs more because of the tape outs, and multi coats, check Joe from Powder pro's thread and you will see all the possibilities, you can also put taped graphics and spray it then remove the tape and go with a candy top coat over for the custom effects like paint. You san also add metal flake into the powder, the possibilities are endless, as long as you go with a coater that knows what they are doing. I do my own pc'ing but when I fk up I just dipp and redo.

https://www.hdforums.com/forum/powde...this-week.html

Last edited by jakazz; 07-03-2015 at 01:59 PM. Reason: added link
Old 07-18-2015, 05:56 PM
txphatboy
Road Warrior
Received 308 Likes on 176 Posts

My bike got knocked over while parked, and I was thinking of powder coating my tins and doing some clear powder on top for a real deep gloss finish. Can anyone tell me if the tank internals will hold up to the dryer temps, or will this all need to be removed prior to coating? Also thinking about changing tank decals - can decals be applied over black powder and sprayed over with clear powder? Will clear powder stick to decal since it is not metal?

Last edited by txphatboy; 07-18-2015 at 06:22 PM.
Old 09-12-2015, 04:38 PM
artsbest
Tourer
Received 49 Likes on 41 Posts

The only problem with power coating is one can not fix chips, correct?

Old 09-28-2015, 12:33 PM
midlifestreetglide
Novice

i would prefer paint, easier for repairs and looks better

Quick Reply: Powdercoat vs. Paint