Powdercoat & Paint A place to discuss everything about powder coat and paint for your Harley.

Painting vs. buying color matched from Harley

Search this Thread

Old 08-21-2015, 04:17 PM
bill_1202
Road Master
Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Painting vs. buying color matched from Harley

Disappointing paint job... I had my inner fairing painted to match my 2014 big pearl blue SG FLHX. My local shop (that came highly recommended) sold me on having it painted and promised me they would make it come out color matched perfect. The color match came out ok (not perfect) as you can see a slight diff in shades but the main issue is that the metal flakes came out looking smaller than what is in the stock paint! It's not a glaring issue but it looks different especially in the sun because of that. They said having the pearl and the metal flake for my color is hard to get perfect and it's hard to get it to match with varying air pressures and temps.

I guess at the end of the day it looks it's better than matte black but it def does not match as well as I expected and I can tell the difference. You have to look close and most people who do not own a touring bike don't even realize that they don't come painted.

I saved $200 not ordering from Harley. If I had to do it again, I would have gone with Harley and not had it painted. The inner faring is what you are looking at all the time and it bugs me that is does not match the tank! I may even buy a new painted inner fairing from Harley and sell mine. I'll try to post pics so everyone can see.

I know they said that the paint is expensive because of my color and they could not get the Harley paint. I think the brand they used was RPG or something? This might be one of those things like Tuning. Is it that your paint job will only come out as good as the painter?

Old 08-21-2015, 10:30 PM
Deucedog
Stellar HDF Member
Received 260 Likes on 135 Posts

I've seen this guys (Paul) work. He did a buddy's bike last year.He travels the country lining up a group of people to swap out their black fairings for a matched painted fairing.
Only took him 48 minutes to swap out the inner fairings. The paint was an exact match. You can't tell that it isn't a HD OEM painted fairing.

https://www.facebook.com/PaintedHarleyFairings?fref=ts