Powdercoat & Paint A place to discuss everything about powder coat and paint for your Harley.

Vivid black woahs

Search this Thread

Old 04-26-2017, 05:30 PM
DieselDoc103
Tourer
Received 32 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by Bike medic
Dawn does not strip wax. That's an old wives tale. Swirl removers have silicone that fills the scratches in. It'll wash off. The only true way to revive your paint is to machine polish with progressive abrasives.
your correct but this method also works. dawn does infact strip wax and everything on top of the finish. compounds have abraisives in it just not to the magnitude of progressives , that's why the glaze is required to polish it out.

Old 04-28-2017, 06:26 PM
Ozbernie
Cruiser
Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by DieselDoc103
Well, I had a booboo and spilled some gas on my tank. While in a state of chaos and multiple cuss words and my wife sitting there saying really I did what any man who isn't thinking does and grabbed those stupid paper towels they got and..... well you see where im at.

I have got swirl marks and I don't like it! theyre not horrible. just light. theres some on the other side of the tank also. truth be told it had some when I got it but now its just to much. im not looking to get a buffer and do that crap quite yet. im kinda on financial lock down due to house buying. do you think the Meguiars swirl remover ould help me out? I have a good coat of wax on it currently. was thinking about washing it down with dawn dish soap to strip any wax or anything on it and then hitting a couple coats of swirl remover with some moderate buffing by hand on a foam applicator pad and then waxing it back out with meguiars mirror bright. I don't believe I need to clay it, or should I ?
This is very repairable but requires some cost and work.
I suggest you utube 3 step paint correction and watch some clips from Chemical Guys.
You will need to invest in a dual action polisher and associated products needed. The upside is you can then do your whole bike and will be stunned with the results as it will likely look better than factory.
HD Vivid black is a softer paint but this also makes it easier to correct. Good luck.

Old 05-03-2017, 05:28 PM
DieselDoc103
Tourer
Received 32 Likes on 19 Posts

Well shes done! I knocked it out a couple nights ago. looks perfect!

Old 05-10-2017, 10:05 AM
eaglefan1
Stellar HDF Member
Received 1,131 Likes on 762 Posts

Originally Posted by Bike medic
Dawn does not strip wax. That's an old wives tale. Swirl removers have silicone that fills the scratches in. It'll wash off. The only true way to revive your paint is to machine polish with progressive abrasives.
Correct. Dawn leaves residue, for lack of a better word, on the wax. This inhibits the water beeding effect of the wax.

In another post it stated to polish with a glaze, big negative there. A paint glaze does not have abrasives in it.
Now, some polishes have a "Filling" effect like a glaze. When the protection over top of this glaze degrade the glaze will wash off easily. Then those swirls will magically re-appear