Powdercoat & Paint A place to discuss everything about powder coat and paint for your Harley.

Vivid black woahs

Search this Thread

Old 04-24-2017, 06:23 PM
DieselDoc103
Tourer
Received 32 Likes on 19 Posts
Default Vivid black woahs

Well, I had a booboo and spilled some gas on my tank. While in a state of chaos and multiple cuss words and my wife sitting there saying really I did what any man who isn't thinking does and grabbed those stupid paper towels they got and..... well you see where im at.

I have got swirl marks and I don't like it! theyre not horrible. just light. theres some on the other side of the tank also. truth be told it had some when I got it but now its just to much. im not looking to get a buffer and do that crap quite yet. im kinda on financial lock down due to house buying. do you think the Meguiars swirl remover ould help me out? I have a good coat of wax on it currently. was thinking about washing it down with dawn dish soap to strip any wax or anything on it and then hitting a couple coats of swirl remover with some moderate buffing by hand on a foam applicator pad and then waxing it back out with meguiars mirror bright. I don't believe I need to clay it, or should I ?

Old 04-24-2017, 06:34 PM
shorelasHD
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 2,858 Likes on 1,270 Posts

I'm guessing you don't wear glasses, 'cause if you did, you'd know NEVER to use (dry) paper towels on anything softer than REAL glass, and NEVER on Vivid Black, which is softer than sliced bologna. Now happily the non-owner of any Vivid Black bike.

Old 04-24-2017, 08:40 PM
DieselDoc103
Tourer

Originally Posted by shorelasHD
I'm guessing you don't wear glasses, 'cause if you did, you'd know NEVER to use (dry) paper towels on anything softer than REAL glass, and NEVER on Vivid Black, which is softer than sliced bologna. Now happily the non-owner of any Vivid Black bike.
Actually i do wear glasses lol i freaked out and didnt think straight. im thinking i should be alright if i use some swirl X

Old 04-25-2017, 04:14 PM
shorelasHD
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 2,858 Likes on 1,270 Posts

Yes, don't worry, it takes a bit of doing but you'll get them out...I used Ebony Polish (is that still available?) with a wheel on my Vivid Black FLSTC and it did a great job.

I understand that the MoCo finishing products do a good job-you can do a search on the Forum, there are more than a few threads on this very problem.

The following users liked this post:
DieselDoc103 (04-25-2017)
Old 04-25-2017, 04:17 PM
Uncle Larry
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 47,787 Likes on 18,560 Posts

Originally Posted by shorelasHD
and this helps him how?

Old 04-25-2017, 04:21 PM
Uncle Larry
Seasoned HDF Member

flush the surface with water ... clean with a clay bar ... use a "Scratch Remover" ( by hand if you're a rookie ) follow with a "Swirl Remover" followed by a good polish and then a coat of wax. If you've done a good job it will last quite a while. Remember the wax not only protects the finish it "fills" minor imperfections in the paint giving the surface a smooooth look.

Old 04-25-2017, 06:06 PM
DieselDoc103
Tourer

I just spoke to a meguiars rep and asked what my best plan of action should be. he recommended that I wash with dawn to strip all previous waxes , clay bar it, hit it with ultimate compound , followed by #7 show car glaze polish to really brighten it and then a few coats of wax , he said it will look better than it did when it came off the assembly line. the ultimate compound with take any swirls and light scratches out totally without messing with the clear , the glaze will really bring out the gloss from the clear coat and the wax will keep it like that for a very long time. probably gonna go that route

Old 04-26-2017, 04:30 PM
Uncle Larry
Seasoned HDF Member

Pretty much what I said too ... Hope it works out for you. :>)

Old 04-26-2017, 04:44 PM
DieselDoc103
Tourer

Originally Posted by Uncle Larry
Pretty much what I said too ... Hope it works out for you. :>)
pretty much word for word what you said lol thanks man I hope it works out also

Old 04-26-2017, 04:52 PM
Bike medic
Cruiser
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Dawn does not strip wax. That's an old wives tale. Swirl removers have silicone that fills the scratches in. It'll wash off. The only true way to revive your paint is to machine polish with progressive abrasives.

Quick Reply: Vivid black woahs