Going with Starlight Black - Harley Davidson Forums

Powdercoat & Paint A place to discuss everything about powder coat and paint for your Harley.

Going with Starlight Black

P

Old 06-09-2017, 10:49 AM
Road Warrior
Default Going with Starlight Black

I was swaying on the side of Black Quarts but it looks too slate grey to me. I saw a HD custom paint SG at Napoleon HD (for $39K ouch) and fell in love with the color. Vivid black with tiny specs that looks like the night sky.

First question is anyone have one that can testify to the depthness and how you like it in the sun.

Second, is anyone have any pics?

I was thinking of doing the rattle can from Colorite. Amazon has cans for $37 plus shipping. I was going to do my lowers since they are off for the summer, and see how it turns out. Then if I like it, I might just do each piece seperately. Or get a quart and do the whole bike.
Old 06-16-2017, 01:03 PM
Road Warrior

Got my color and clear coat from Colorite. Got the spray cans. Going to do the lowers first. See how they turn out.
Old 06-16-2017, 01:49 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magnut1 View Post
Got my color and clear coat from Colorite. Got the spray cans. Going to do the lowers first. See how they turn out.
As far as I know spray cans can only do very thin clear coat.You will have to spray clear a few times.
The Following User Says Thank You to 13RoadKing For This Useful Post:
Magnut1 (06-16-2017)
Old 06-26-2017, 07:17 AM
Road Warrior

I painted the Arlen Ness rear facia that retails for $180 or so, but some guy on ebay bought this new, sprayed it at home and messed it up, tried to strip it and if you can see the original ebay add, WOW, he really did. I painted it with the Colorite aresol can. It came out pretty good. Although I think this Starlight Black has a lot more Starlite in it than the Harley color, although I didn't see one outside, but under the lights in the showroom, it looks a lot different. I still like the color 10 times better than Black Quarts which looks slate to me. Here is the link to the part I bought. You would have to "ask a question" to see the original auction I think, that is how I did it.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Arlen-Ness-6...p2047675.l2557

I had to wet sand for a few hours to get it kind of straight. I then went to Autozone and bought "primer and sandable" can. It went on thick, and as it dried it cracked or seperated. Took me several coates before I painted it.

after I sanded the primered piece several times, I thought I was happy with it, so I sprayed it with the color coat. It went on pretty good, then the clear. The clear I sprayed tack coat, and then a little wetter, and it started to run in one spot. I turned the piece upside down and the run flattened out. I sprayed it in my shed outside and it didn't come out too bad. A little dry but what do you expect from cans. I have to wait 3-5 days to wet sand then polish by hand. I will spray the rest of the bike in the fall with a quart can and my spray guns. I will spray this piece over when I do the whole bike.

Old 07-03-2017, 07:28 AM
Road Warrior

I chose to redo the facia. It didn't quite come out the way I wanted. It has been about 20 years since I did any prep work and paint. But this time it came out perfect. A little wet sand and buff and will look awsome. I can't wait till my whole bike is painted like this.
Old 07-17-2017, 01:31 PM
Road Warrior

Old 07-20-2017, 04:06 PM

Pictures don't seem like they do justice! Looks clean.

P