Powdercoat & Paint A place to discuss everything about powder coat and paint for your Harley.

Rear fender paint warranty?

Search this Thread

Old 09-02-2017, 01:37 PM
lordbarbaros
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Rear fender paint warranty?

Hi guys,

I have 12' XL 1200X Sportster FortyEight. Yesterday, I was cleaning it and I realized that there is rust (oxidize) at my rear fender's left side and started to flake off.

I am the second owner of the motorcycle. It is bought from HD Istanbul. But I live in Ankara/Turkey. So, can it be under warranty? Or does HD Ankara tell me "no way out".

The pictures are at the attachment.
Thank you.

Attached Thumbnails Rear fender paint warranty?-img_3781.jpg   Rear fender paint warranty?-img_3782.jpg  
Old 09-02-2017, 02:07 PM
K9F
Road Master
Received 393 Likes on 252 Posts

It costs nothing to ask your dealership but I suspect you already know what their answer is going to be? Ankara as most bigger Turkish towns and cities are awash with talented car, motorcycle repair and paint shops.

On close inspection of your photographs (it could perhaps be the light) it looks like the affected area has been painted before and not very well? With it being five years old it will most certainly not have any paint warranty whatsoever, unless you were given a written warranty by the dealership you bought it from. Usually you may have been given a 'limited' three months parts and labour warranty but that will not include paint? I would simply get it stripped back a decent primer and repainted. A quick question..... Why does it look like the rear fender bolt is protruding slightly, it does not look right to me?

Last edited by K9F; 09-02-2017 at 02:16 PM.
The following users liked this post:
lordbarbaros (09-02-2017)
Old 09-02-2017, 02:14 PM
lordbarbaros
1st Gear

Originally Posted by K9F
With it being five years old it will most certainly not have any paint warranty whatsoever, unless you were given a written warranty by the dealership you bought it from. Usually you may have been given a 'limited' three months parts and labour warranty but that will not include paint? I would simply get it stripped back a decent primer and repainted. A quick question..... Why does it look like the rear fender bolt is protruding slightly?
Thank you for the quick answer. And the answer to your question is: there are two washers after the bolt. I think they are used to attach the side plate tightly.

Old 09-02-2017, 02:18 PM
lordbarbaros
1st Gear

Originally Posted by K9F
On close inspection of your photographs (it could perhaps be the light) it looks like the affected area has been painted before and not very well?
No. The paint is original. I have an expertise report from H-D dealer.

Old 09-02-2017, 02:35 PM
K9F
Road Master

Sorry the photographs were misleading because of light and reflection. I too had a 48 with a side mounted number plate but the bolts had no exposed threads showing. Could it be the paint was damaged either when the side plate bracket was fitted or because it is not tight? I fitted my bracket and unless you keep all the bolts loose it can be difficult to align them if you do them up tight before fitting and final tightening of them all. Just a couple of ideas. I have attached photographs below. I think I would just get it re-sprayed locally myself?

Attached Thumbnails Rear fender paint warranty?-wp_20160527_002.jpg   Rear fender paint warranty?-wp_20160512_002.jpg   Rear fender paint warranty?-wp_20160430_002.jpg  

Last edited by K9F; 09-02-2017 at 02:57 PM.
Old 09-02-2017, 03:25 PM
lordbarbaros
1st Gear

Originally Posted by K9F
Sorry the photographs were misleading because of light and reflection. I too had a 48 with a side mounted number plate but the bolts had no exposed threads showing. Could it be the paint was damaged either when the side plate bracket was fitted or because it is not tight? I fitted my bracket and unless you keep all the bolts loose it can be difficult to align them if you do them up tight before fitting and final tightening of them all. Just a couple of ideas. I have attached photographs below. I think I would just get it re-sprayed locally myself?
I bought my bike in August 15. When I bought it, the side mount number plate was on it. Two years past. The problem is fresh now. Also the rust is not so close to the bolt. But maybe you can be right. I don't know. Because of the rust, I think it should be sand-primer-paint-clear coat. Can I do it myself?

Old 09-02-2017, 05:35 PM
K9F
Road Master

If you are confident enough give it a go? Get the fender off and you can see exactly what you are dealing with. If not you could always get it done professionally.