Powdercoat & Paint A place to discuss everything about powder coat and paint for your Harley.

Newbie: Several paint dilemmas with my 2003 Anniversary Road King

Search this Thread

Old 09-08-2018, 11:16 PM
lookslikeahog
Cruiser
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
Default Newbie: Several paint dilemmas with my 2003 Anniversary Road King

I greatly appreciate those who take a little time from their day to read and offer guidance from my problem. Your expertise trumps mine I am sure. The color codes I have found 9806BDT Paint 99825-02 Hardener 98601BDT 98603BDT

Background: I was young and a Jap crap enthusiast in my 20s. I lost all interest in bikes at about 30. Then, this year, aeons later (13 years), I have taken an interest in HD, both bikes and parts. But I am still a little (lot) green. I am fixing up a 2003 Anniversary Road King Classic Gunmetal Pearl. Therapist has made me pick up a hobby, as I've been battling major depressive disorder and PTSD since 12/2015 when I witnessed my 36 year old wife have a massive bilateral hemorrhagic stroke a couple days after the birth of our son, an only child, also a month before our first anniversary. I know TMI, but HD has given me new interests other than alcohol and sleep, and my therapist was correct.

So, my 03 has cosmetic issues I have been addressing. It sat at impound for years before I bought. Uncovered! I did not notice the front fender was damaged pretty good in the sellers garage. So, it is my last hurdle. The fender skirt was hit previously, and gouged the **** out of the fender, plus some other nicks and BS. Today, I gave NAPA a shot to mix a close touch up. Well, "their" interpretation of Gunmetal Pears sucks. The brush bottle is even more useless, it needs spray. Nice try Adam.

SO now, I have a fender with touch up paint that looks like ***, as well as clear fade lines from the sun under the trim. I did manage to nicely remove tight dings with a socket, 2 x 4, and a pen or clothes hanger to hold the socket in place, And whack with a light duty hammer, Worked awesome on curved edges, Yea, spider webbed some paint. I did notice dust trapped in the clearcoat on one side. Factory paint my butt.

Now for the crux of the problem. I don't have a lot of money to spend because of family / care issues. Buying a Gunmetal front fender would be fantastic, but I can't afford what I see online. So I do not see another option other than paint, which I HAVE done with an HVLP sprayer/turbine, but that sucks. Probably can't afford paint either. Is there a way to buy it in a rattlecan, spray it, sand between coats if needed, clear the heck out of it, and wet sand, rub, and buff the clear and wind up with a relatively pro appearance?

BTW first fender I have ever seen that has dust trapped in the clear in some places. Odd. I also noticed there is red under the pearl, and black under the red.

Any advise would be so helpful. I just want to have something nice for once. If you know anyone with a gunmetal fender, I have parts I can trade too f they would be interested,

Thank you for your valuable time reading this and trying ti help me! Feel free to share opinions or suggestions.

Old 01-07-2019, 01:11 PM
drumdon
Novice
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by lookslikeahog
I greatly appreciate those who take a little time from their day to read and offer guidance from my problem. Your expertise trumps mine I am sure. The color codes I have found 9806BDT Paint 99825-02 Hardener 98601BDT 98603BDT

Background: I was young and a Jap crap enthusiast in my 20s. I lost all interest in bikes at about 30. Then, this year, aeons later (13 years), I have taken an interest in HD, both bikes and parts. But I am still a little (lot) green. I am fixing up a 2003 Anniversary Road King Classic Gunmetal Pearl. Therapist has made me pick up a hobby, as I've been battling major depressive disorder and PTSD since 12/2015 when I witnessed my 36 year old wife have a massive bilateral hemorrhagic stroke a couple days after the birth of our son, an only child, also a month before our first anniversary. I know TMI, but HD has given me new interests other than alcohol and sleep, and my therapist was correct.

So, my 03 has cosmetic issues I have been addressing. It sat at impound for years before I bought. Uncovered! I did not notice the front fender was damaged pretty good in the sellers garage. So, it is my last hurdle. The fender skirt was hit previously, and gouged the **** out of the fender, plus some other nicks and BS. Today, I gave NAPA a shot to mix a close touch up. Well, "their" interpretation of Gunmetal Pears sucks. The brush bottle is even more useless, it needs spray. Nice try Adam.

SO now, I have a fender with touch up paint that looks like ***, as well as clear fade lines from the sun under the trim. I did manage to nicely remove tight dings with a socket, 2 x 4, and a pen or clothes hanger to hold the socket in place, And whack with a light duty hammer, Worked awesome on curved edges, Yea, spider webbed some paint. I did notice dust trapped in the clearcoat on one side. Factory paint my butt.

Now for the crux of the problem. I don't have a lot of money to spend because of family / care issues. Buying a Gunmetal front fender would be fantastic, but I can't afford what I see online. So I do not see another option other than paint, which I HAVE done with an HVLP sprayer/turbine, but that sucks. Probably can't afford paint either. Is there a way to buy it in a rattlecan, spray it, sand between coats if needed, clear the heck out of it, and wet sand, rub, and buff the clear and wind up with a relatively pro appearance?

BTW first fender I have ever seen that has dust trapped in the clear in some places. Odd. I also noticed there is red under the pearl, and black under the red.

Any advise would be so helpful. I just want to have something nice for once. If you know anyone with a gunmetal fender, I have parts I can trade too f they would be interested,

Thank you for your valuable time reading this and trying ti help me! Feel free to share opinions or suggestions.
Do you know the difference between paint codes 98601BDT and 98603BDT? I need to give codes to my painter, but can't find the official numbers.

Old 01-08-2019, 01:56 PM
Magnut1
Grand HDF Member
Received 1,679 Likes on 822 Posts
Old 01-08-2019, 02:59 PM
drumdon
Novice
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

?????

Old 01-08-2019, 08:19 PM
1997bagger
Grand HDF Member
Received 1,639 Likes on 844 Posts
Old 01-09-2019, 06:39 PM
coebam
Advanced
Received 23 Likes on 17 Posts

Could you post up some photos? I can say for sure that if the paint has been cracked or spider webbed it will need to be completely removed , then primed up and repainted. Regarding the color - best bet is to find a competent local auto paint store that can match the color for you using a color camera and maybe some tinting of the base coat.

Old 01-09-2019, 06:51 PM
coebam
Advanced

Here's some photo's (not HD fender but serves the purpose) of a repair I did for a buddy of mine. First photo is repaired, primed and ready to paint. Subsequent photo's show blending the tan color, then the final clear coated result. I didn't take a photo of the masked tan part and the red paint. But, point being that I didn't have a paint code, just a color camera and adjusted the color a bit for a "blendable" match. Glad to answer any questions you may have in the future.

The following users liked this post:
crazytown (01-09-2019)
Old 01-09-2019, 07:56 PM
crazytown
Road Master

Received 548 Likes on 319 Posts

Originally Posted by coebam
Here's some photo's (not HD fender but serves the purpose) of a repair I did for a buddy of mine. First photo is repaired, primed and ready to paint. Subsequent photo's show blending the tan color, then the final clear coated result. I didn't take a photo of the masked tan part and the red paint. But, point being that I didn't have a paint code, just a color camera and adjusted the color a bit for a "blendable" match. Glad to answer any questions you may have in the future.
I really like that fender. Really nice job on that.

Old 01-09-2019, 08:13 PM
coebam
Advanced

Thanks. Been painting on the "side" since 1992.

Old 01-17-2019, 11:48 AM
coebam
Advanced

Originally Posted by crazytown
I really like that fender. Really nice job on that.
Here's a few more of that job. The fellow added a fairing to his bike and the fender was a little rough so we decided to fix the fender and match the fairing to the existing color combo. Last shot is after the pin stripe was added. Overall came out pretty nice I thought, and my friend was happy with the results.