Powdercoat & Paint A place to discuss everything about powder coat and paint for your Harley.

Opinions on Black Denim paint job

Search this Thread

Old 09-25-2018, 12:46 PM
TSheff
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 3,340 Likes on 1,548 Posts

OK. I'm not a painter, but I have painted a few bikes and cars. Black Denim is not one of my favorites, but it is definitely not achieved by scuffing or sanding the clear coat of a glossy paint job.
Sorry, you got screwed and paid for it on top of that. Matte finish is hard to match - I would have turned your job down unless all tins were painted at the same time.
Thread would have been better with the whole story to begin with, instead of the first one - It's not Denim and it's not professional.

Old 09-26-2018, 06:14 PM
JFKS
Novice
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Nomadmax
There's guys right here on this forum that can do better than that with a rattle can (Hey Man is top dog), I've seen it. That guy would be better off applying Line-X.
Thinking the same thing. Give me some Rust O leum. lol Black Plastidip looks pretty much like Denim also.

The following users liked this post:
Campy Roadie (09-27-2018)
Old 09-26-2018, 07:58 PM
Valleyofthegun
Cruiser
Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by TSheff
OK. I'm not a painter, but I have painted a few bikes and cars. Black Denim is not one of my favorites, but it is definitely not achieved by scuffing or sanding the clear coat of a glossy paint job.
Sorry, you got screwed and paid for it on top of that. Matte finish is hard to match - I would have turned your job down unless all tins were painted at the same time.
Thread would have been better with the whole story to begin with, instead of the first one - It's not Denim and it's not professional.
I didn't tell the whole story because I wanted an unbiased opinion. Everything I read and every painter I spoke with said matte paint is hard to spray. I believe that's the reason why the painter was so reluctant to use it. You said that you would have passed on the job and looking back that's exactly what he should have done, instead of deciding for me that I'm going to get a gloss paint job.

Here is what it looks like now after he buffed out his shitty scuffing effect. Definitely not the best paint i have ever seen but since in the end i ended up getting my entire tins painted for 350$, i decided to live with a gloss paint job instead of making him repaint it. Which he did offer to do dor free

Last edited by Valleyofthegun; 09-26-2018 at 07:59 PM.
Old 09-26-2018, 08:36 PM
1997bagger
Grand HDF Member
Received 1,627 Likes on 842 Posts

Have used flattening agent in clear mentioned earlier, Imron black matte, Utech hot rod black. If you have your ducks in a row matte is easy to spray but if a blemish or dirt shows up then it is unforgiving, can't save it. Painted many school bus hood center sections matte black and a 2 hour in and out job, had 2 screw up turning into a 6 hour job but the initial problem was caused by myself, not the matte

Last edited by 1997bagger; 09-26-2018 at 08:37 PM.
Old 09-26-2018, 10:16 PM
Newharleylover
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 1,165 Likes on 456 Posts

Yeah spraying matte or denim isn't difficult at all, not any more difficult than spraying high gloss clear, the technique is the same only the product isn't. You have the option of wet sanding and buffing out any specs of dust with high gloss clear. You don't have that option with a matte or denim finish. It's a must to have a dust free job.

Old 10-09-2018, 09:45 PM
LOVEROFROLEX
Novice
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I love those Denim pain jobs. I think they are easier to maintain as you dont need to shine them.

Old 10-10-2018, 03:50 PM
Valleyofthegun
Cruiser
Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by LOVEROFROLEX
I love those Denim pain jobs. I think they are easier to maintain as you dont need to shine them.
I love the look also but I have heard many members on here say that if the denim paint gets scratched that it can't be buffed out and that you pretty much just have to live with it.