Powdercoat & Paint A place to discuss everything about powder coat and paint for your Harley.

Scorched Orange and Denim Black- Paint Care

Search this Thread

Old 10-19-2018, 04:46 PM
smlosches@yahoo.com
Advanced
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Scorched Orange and Denim Black- Paint Care

Never had a bike that had both gloss and matte paint before.

Any advice for maintaining it?

Old 10-21-2018, 04:22 PM
Softy 103
Banned
Received 259 Likes on 168 Posts

I have a scorched orange and black denim street glide and I have been washing it as I would any of my other bikes, I have also used bug slide on the whole thing with good results

Old 10-21-2018, 05:54 PM
smlosches@yahoo.com
Advanced
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Softy 103
I have a scorched orange and black denim street glide and I have been washing it as I would any of my other bikes, I have also used bug slide on the whole thing with good results
Softy, is this really matte black paint, I sure can feel a ridge at all joints between the gloss and matte finishes. Matte vinyl wrap maybe?

Old 10-22-2018, 10:16 AM
Softy 103
Banned
Received 259 Likes on 168 Posts

On mine there is a pinstripe between the two colors no ridge or you can feel is a little bit of the pinstripe I took my front fuel tank plastic cover off where the fuel tank fastens to the frame and I scratched a little bit with my knife and it is paint

Old 11-29-2018, 08:29 AM
TexasMotorcycleRider
Grand HDF Member
Received 666 Likes on 443 Posts

I pick mine up on the 17th of Dec, hoping someone would post up some good tips on paint care as I have never owned a black bike much less matt black.

Old 11-29-2018, 09:42 AM
cbrenthus
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 1,574 Likes on 662 Posts

I use turtle wax ICE on my cars and my denim road glide. Works well on all surfaces, glossy or flat. I wash my bike with meguiar's I think, I'd have to look, but its pretty much the only car detergent I can find without carnuba wax. If I had a scorched earth / black denim, that's exactly how I would clean it. ICE is a synthetic wax and works well on the denim IMO, protects as well and the water beads.

I think the biggest myth of denim is that you'll buff it to shiny if not careful. While, yes, theoretically denim can be buffed to a shine, it means wet sanding and buffing, not just a hand wax job. Maybe if you waxed it every day for 20 years, IDK.

The following users liked this post:
TexasMotorcycleRider (11-29-2018)
Old 11-30-2018, 12:09 PM
eaglefan1
Stellar HDF Member
Received 1,131 Likes on 762 Posts

As for soaps, you need something without wax or gloss enhancers, 2 different things. I look for the same stuff for my bike and any of my customers that I have coated their cars.
Lots of them out there, check out auto geek and detailed image for quality products. I stay away from anything made by the "Turtle". I do this as a side gig and I will not use any of their products, so much better out there.

Black vehicles are a full time job to keep looking the way they should. Im sure someone will post that their bike looks "Showroom" or "New". Unless you are skilled in machine polishing and then using proper washing and drying techniques, your black paint is far from this level. Not a knock, its just the "Nature of the Beast", black paint. Throwing something on the paint with a bunch of fillers in it doesn't count, because thats not the true condition of the paint.

More then 75% of all the vehicles I have done have been black. There is zero forgiveness given with black paint. Add on the fact that the clear harley uses on vivid black is the 2nd softest paint I have ever dealt with, its a recipe for a swirled up mess. The good news with it is that you don't have to be aggressive at all in correcting it. The trick is finishing it down properly, which is time consuming and can be tough.

Back to the OP. My suggestion to you is to find a reputable detailer in your area and have the bike coated. A reputable detailer will know what needs to be done to coat the 2 paint systems on the bike. Practice proper washing and drying techniques with quality products. Chances are you won't have to mess with it for a very long long time.

Old 03-20-2019, 01:38 PM
big papa AZ
Stellar HDF Member
Received 328 Likes on 215 Posts

Want to bring this back up. I never have to wash my bikes, just quick detail. Is there a quick detail spray that is good for both, one bottle?

Old 03-20-2019, 01:44 PM
cbrenthus
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 1,574 Likes on 662 Posts

I swear I'm not connected to them, bu Turtle Wax ICE has a detail spray.

Old 03-20-2019, 01:52 PM
eaglefan1
Stellar HDF Member
Received 1,131 Likes on 762 Posts

Here you go. $20, but look at the dilution ratio. Top notch stuff

https://www.autogeek.net/mckees-rinseless-wash.html

Quick Reply: Scorched Orange and Denim Black- Paint Care