Powdercoat & Paint A place to discuss everything about powder coat and paint for your Harley.

New to Powder

Old 01-03-2019, 07:26 AM
iaminsider
Cruiser
Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts
Default New to Powder

I have never done powder coating myself nor have I had it done for me in the past, so please forgive me for my ignorance in the following.

I had my fork lowers, triples and tappet blocks coated in gloss black by a local guy to me. Here is where my questions come in...

There should be a nice sharp line where it was masked off, yes? On my triples for example.. There is a jagged rough edge at the opening to the holes for the fork tubes. So much so in fact that it can be seen when the tube is slid into the triple.

Can this edge be sanded smooth? Should it be re-done?

I can post photos this evening showing exactly what I am referencing.

What do yall think?

Old 01-03-2019, 08:28 AM
bustert
Grand HDF Member
Received 712 Likes on 624 Posts

pictures are always good.
it is easily repaired, a +++ for powder. the area in ? can be repowdered and flowed out. powder does not like sharp corners and when applying powder, you have to apply from diff angles. another thing is the mask, if you use the wrong type, sometimes the adhesive will flow out when baked.
my thought is you went to a lot of trouble so why not have it the way you want, i would have it fixed. i have been down that road many times and will repair before i let it go.

Old 01-03-2019, 08:03 PM
iaminsider
Cruiser

Here is what I was talking about. Pretty much any area he taped off is like that. Not to mention some pin hole imperfections on the fork lowers.

Old 01-04-2019, 09:29 AM
bustert
Grand HDF Member
Received 712 Likes on 624 Posts

easy way to hide that is to drop in some matching paint to fill in the voids.
another trick is to remove the mask when warm enough to touch without affecting the cure, it will peel away leaving a clean line. and if it were adhesive creep, since it is warm also, less chance to pull a jagged edge.

Old 01-04-2019, 09:34 AM
iaminsider
Cruiser

I am giving him a chance to make it right and if not, I will be taking my business elsewhere. He is trying to work with me so I won;t knock him there. I just think I made the mistake of going to someone who wasn't a good fit.

Old 04-09-2023, 01:13 PM
Ryan_87
Stage II
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by iaminsider
I am giving him a chance to make it right and if not, I will be taking my business elsewhere. He is trying to work with me so I won;t knock him there. I just think I made the mistake of going to someone who wasn't a good fit.
That's incredibly petty. The nature of powder coat is that it doesn't allow for crisp lines like paint. The build up is what makes it durable. sand that edge for a uniform reveal or just put your fork tube in and you'll barely notice