Powdercoat & Paint A place to discuss everything about powder coat and paint for your Harley.

ColorRite rattle cans, great paint.

Search this Thread

Old 10-19-2019, 07:12 AM
jandrso
Intermediate
Received 17 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Magnut1
If you keep a good wax on your paint, and wax it regularly, that will give you protection from bugs. I have had a few bug splats on my front fender and they came right off with warm water. Didn't affect the paint at all.
What wonderful work you have done to the ride. I love the metal flake in black. I have an 02 Dyna so I don't need many cans. I started to experiment with older take off parts and was using a 3 part Luxury Rich Red product from Kustom Kanz. It uses a 2k clear. Now I've never painted before and I have a lot to learn but watching this thread has given me some real good pointers.
Great Job! I cant wait to start doing some more painting.

Old 10-22-2019, 08:42 AM
Magnut1
Grand HDF Member
Received 1,682 Likes on 825 Posts

Originally Posted by jandrso
What wonderful work you have done to the ride. I love the metal flake in black. I have an 02 Dyna so I don't need many cans. I started to experiment with older take off parts and was using a 3 part Luxury Rich Red product from Kustom Kanz. It uses a 2k clear. Now I've never painted before and I have a lot to learn but watching this thread has given me some real good pointers.
Great Job! I cant wait to start doing some more painting.
Thanks Jandrso, It was worth all the hard work. I had a home made paint booth in Maryland in my garage. I really miss it. But doing this in my garage, with no sheets of plastic initially had me worried about bugs and dust. The base coat dries quickly so any dust and bugs shouldn't be able to get in the base. And in the clear, it is easier to sand/polish them out of it.

Some tips on spraying metallic, stay parallel to the part being sprayed. and to get a good coverage and even metallic distribution, after I spray the color, and it is still wet. I move the can about 4-6 inches further away and "fog" a light coat so the metallic will distribute more evenly into the wet paint. Then it is a matter of getting the clear on even and minimizing the runs. I had a major run in one of the saddlebags in one corner, it actually took the base coat with it. After several days, I was able to wet sand the run flat, and respray a couple coats of base and clear to blend in and after wet sand and polish, it came out beautiful. good luck.