Powdercoat & Paint A place to discuss everything about powder coat and paint for your Harley.

ColorRite rattle cans, great paint.

Search this Thread

Old 03-21-2019, 07:40 AM
Magnut1
Grand HDF Member
Received 1,681 Likes on 824 Posts

Originally Posted by Will T
When you wet sand with the 1500 and then the 2000 do you wet sand by hand or using an orbital sander?
By hand, it doesn't take that long. I would use 3000 also but I don't have that right now so it takes just a little bit more time with the rubbing compound. On the saddle bags I will use a block I have for the flat parts.

Old 03-21-2019, 08:32 AM
Will T
Club Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Sweet !! Thank you!

Old 03-22-2019, 04:02 AM
Yankee Dog
Stellar HDF Member

Received 1,742 Likes on 928 Posts

Not sure about compatibility with the colorite brand, but there is a 2k clear in a can that you can buy. I have not used it myself, (I use automotive 2 part products and a spray gun) but it has received lots of positive reviews on other forums.

Amazon Amazon

The usual application is over the counter primer and paint, let cure, wet sand or scuff, then clear using the spray max. It is a true 2 part (2k) clear that has a button on the bottom of the can that you push to break open the catalyst (hardener) inside. Supposedly you have 24 hours (double check that) to use the product.

Those who have used it report it is fuel resistant, which is the biggest complaint with using regular spray can paint. Again, you need to double check compatability between the different types and brands of primer/paint/clear.

Just another option, YD

Old 03-22-2019, 10:03 AM
Magnut1
Grand HDF Member

Yeah, I have read some real good reviews on that. Since the ColorRite sells their product with both color and clear together, I just use that.

Old 03-25-2019, 11:08 AM
Magnut1
Grand HDF Member

Got the front fender painted, and wet sanded half the tank and the left side cover. Slowly but surely. Next will be to tackle the saddle bags, which reminds me, I need to order two more cans of paint from Amozon.

Old 03-25-2019, 11:12 AM
iaminsider
Cruiser
Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts

How many cans of color would you say it will take for project?

Old 03-26-2019, 08:35 AM
Magnut1
Grand HDF Member

ColorRite claims 1 can color, 1 can clear for each major piece. But, front fender was about 3/4, rear fender and facia was just over a can, tank was a whole can, side covers and heat shields were about 1 can. I am going to guess each saddle bag will be a can. I have a chopped tourpak which I would say will be 1.5 cans and finally the lowers, will be 1 can.
So for a RK total I will have 8 cans of color, and about 7 cans of clear. Clear seems to spray thinner. Now this is based on 4-5 coats of color each and 4 coats of clear. If you have a Glide, I would add 2 more cans of each if you are going to do the inner and outer fairing.

Old 03-26-2019, 08:42 AM
iaminsider
Cruiser
Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts

I actually have a Dyna so this gives me the max it will take me for sure. Just tank, 2 fenders and a small fairing.

Old 03-26-2019, 08:59 AM
Andy from Sandy
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 3,734 Likes on 2,399 Posts

So from the ColorRite website for the UCA-150 clear coat:

Important – This formulation of clearcoat is NOT recommended for your fuel tank or any other panel that may be visited by corrosive or harsh chemicals. For those areas we suggest you order the KK7 clear kit, which is highly resistant to gasoline, solvents, rain spotting and their ilk. Also, be sure to avoid mixing different brands of paint, as ColorRite only tests and will only guarantee its products when used with other ColorRite products.

Old 03-27-2019, 07:55 AM
Magnut1
Grand HDF Member

Originally Posted by Andy from Sandy
So from the ColorRite website for the UCA-150 clear coat:

Important – This formulation of clearcoat is NOT recommended for your fuel tank or any other panel that may be visited by corrosive or harsh chemicals. For those areas we suggest you order the KK7 clear kit, which is highly resistant to gasoline, solvents, rain spotting and their ilk. Also, be sure to avoid mixing different brands of paint, as ColorRite only tests and will only guarantee its products when used with other ColorRite products.
Good to know. I am in the process of wet sanding my clear coat on the tank so I may have to re-clear it.

Quick Reply: ColorRite rattle cans, great paint.