Powdercoat & Paint A place to discuss everything about powder coat and paint for your Harley.

Road salt: Do you rinse off or wipe down your Harley?

Search this Thread

Old 03-07-2019, 11:03 AM
No H2O
Cruiser
Received 26 Likes on 18 Posts
Default Road salt: Do you rinse off or wipe down your Harley?

My Harley is not a garage queen, I ride it and I ride it in all weather.
DC winters are brutal and equally as bad is the amount of salt on the roads, it gets everywhere.
I typically hose off the bike but given the temperatures lately it'll be several weeks before its warm enough to do that.
If you're an all season rider do you hose off your bike or just wipe it down, or both? And how long do you wait after riding in the salt to clean it off?

Old 03-07-2019, 11:50 AM
nevil
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 968 Likes on 731 Posts

Not only is the road salt very corrosive, the brine that they spray on the road before a snow is even worse. Wiping down the bike can't hurt. But you need to get into the crevices and spaces underneath. You have to to hose that stuff off as soon as you can. Start from the top and work down.

The following users liked this post:
gja (03-08-2019)
Old 03-07-2019, 11:56 AM
Andy from Sandy
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 3,723 Likes on 2,394 Posts

A coat of something like ACF 50 before the bike goes out in the snow will be beneficial. It will get into all those nooks and crannies to stop the water getting in. It will also protect the chrome and painted surfaces.

Old 03-07-2019, 12:22 PM
son of the hounds
Grand HDF Member
Received 2,512 Likes on 1,301 Posts

Plain water does not remove salt from cracks and crevices. Salt bonds to the metal, then draws water to itself. You have to break the surface tension of the salt to flush it away. To do that, you must use a surface surfactant.

There are products, like salt away, or there is Dawn dish detergent, same stuff used to clean oil off birds in major spills.

An ounce of Dawn in a gallon is enough. You gain nothing by using more Dawn, except a soapy mess. I use a 1 gallon pump sprayer, like the Home Depot sells. Last all season and it is easy to spray underneath the motorcycle. You don't need to rinse it away either. No rust on my touring bike after ten years of winter riding in Washington state that uses all four salts with reckless abandon. Using a low dose also does not get slippery even if it gets on the tires. I keep it away from the brake pads, but it probably wouldn't hurt them.

The following users liked this post:
Zedbra (03-08-2019)
Old 03-07-2019, 01:24 PM
Magnut1
Grand HDF Member
Received 1,679 Likes on 822 Posts

A guy up here in ohio that rides all year says he rinses his bike with a 1 cup white vinegar/1 gal of water solution. Has been doing this for years, he uses a pump sprayer, with wand, to get all crevases.

Old 03-08-2019, 08:47 AM
bustert
Grand HDF Member
Received 712 Likes on 624 Posts

wash or rinse according to time allowed.
i find HONDA wash/polish works well as actually repels dirt to a degree. also pretty cheap.

Old 03-08-2019, 08:49 AM
Uncle Larry
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 47,744 Likes on 18,543 Posts

Originally Posted by No H2O
My Harley is not a garage queen, I ride it and I ride it in all weather.
DC winters are brutal and equally as bad is the amount of salt on the roads, it gets everywhere.
I typically hose off the bike but given the temperatures lately it'll be several weeks before its warm enough to do that.
If you're an all season rider do you hose off your bike or just wipe it down, or both? And how long do you wait after riding in the salt to clean it off?
DC winters are brutal and equally as bad is the amount of salt on the roads ... You ain't seen S A L T 'til you've ridden in Michigan ... No more "salt riding" for me :<(

Old 03-15-2019, 08:06 AM
RhynoRocK
Cruiser
Received 98 Likes on 48 Posts

Originally Posted by Uncle Larry
DC winters are brutal and equally as bad is the amount of salt on the roads ... You ain't seen S A L T 'til you've ridden in Michigan ... No more "salt riding" for me :<(
Western NY too, around Buffalo and the surrounding counties. Every winter is a disaster with salt, especially when we get the ultra cold blasts for weeks on end.

Old 03-15-2019, 09:25 AM
firehawk6
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 7,375 Likes on 2,928 Posts

Originally Posted by Uncle Larry
Indiana is right there with 'ya. Some spits on the pavement and it freezes, they spread a 3" layer of salt/brine solution.

Old 03-15-2019, 10:29 AM
TriGeezer
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 29,251 Likes on 11,137 Posts

[QUOTE=Uncle Larry;18089848]DC winters are brutal and equally as bad is the amount of salt on the roads[color=#222222] ... You ain't seen S A L T 'til you've ridden in Michigan ... No more "salt riding" for me :

Quick Reply: Road salt: Do you rinse off or wipe down your Harley?