Powdercoat & Paint A place to discuss everything about powder coat and paint for your Harley.

Recommended Powdercoater in Chicago, IL

Search this Thread

Old 03-15-2019, 08:25 PM
MNtadpole
Tourer
Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts
Default Recommended Powdercoater in Chicago, IL

Hey All,

I just wanted to make a recommendation for powdercoating work from Fresh Start Custom Coatings. They are located in Palatine, Illinois. I just had them do a handful of engine trim pieces, and the results are outstanding. The picture doesn't do the coating justice. I will be a returning customer for sure. Check them out at http://freshstartcustomcoatings.com

Old 03-18-2019, 05:58 PM
diegoII
Intermediate
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Great info! Thank you, how was the price? Fair? I'm thinking about doing it with VHT paint, but if the price is right, I might go this route!

Old 03-20-2019, 08:33 AM
MNtadpole
Tourer

Originally Posted by diegoII
Great info! Thank you, how was the price? Fair? I'm thinking about doing it with VHT paint, but if the price is right, I might go this route!
I didn't shop around really, since I liked what I saw at the shop. With that being said, I feel like it was fair for sure. The end results were flawless. Idk if it's an industry standard to media blast prior to powder, but they do it to all parts. I was really worried that covering the chrome pieces wasnt going to turn out, but those pieces look great. Honestly, I couldn't be happier with the results. I will be returning to this location again when I have more parts.

Old 03-20-2019, 10:12 AM
diegoII
Intermediate
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Cool. Yeah, I contacted them about my heat shields and they said that they needed to be ceramic coated because of the heat. Quote me $18 a foot. Still cheaper than HD, but I might do them myself with VHT paint. I like the fact that they are local!

Old 03-20-2019, 09:21 PM
MNtadpole
Tourer

Originally Posted by diegoII
Cool. Yeah, I contacted them about my heat shields and they said that they needed to be ceramic coated because of the heat. Quote me $18 a foot. Still cheaper than HD, but I might do them myself with VHT paint. I like the fact that they are local!
I guess you'll have to decide on what's best for you in that situation. Heat-shields are pretty easy to take off. With that being said, you could just rattle-can some flat VHT paint on it, and touch it up when necessary. There is supposed to be some temp repelling action of ceramic coatings, so that would be a benefit.

Old 04-29-2019, 01:23 PM
Chicagowin
Advanced
Received 17 Likes on 11 Posts

I got some stuff painted/ powder coated last week and the guy says he sends stuff out to that place. Mostly bigger stuff that he needs absolutely perfect. He sent my stuff to someone cheaper, but it only cost $300 for the primary cover, cam and trans cover, fender supports, dash and the gas and dummy gas cap.

Old 04-29-2019, 08:27 PM
MNtadpole
Tourer

Originally Posted by Chicagowin
I got some stuff painted/ powder coated last week and the guy says he sends stuff out to that place. Mostly bigger stuff that he needs absolutely perfect. He sent my stuff to someone cheaper, but it only cost $300 for the primary cover, cam and trans cover, fender supports, dash and the gas and dummy gas cap.
That's not a bad price at all! As long as you're happy with the results, that's what matters. Personally, I'm going to be sticking with this place since the quality is spot on. LOL and im kinda OCD.