Powdercoat & Paint A place to discuss everything about powder coat and paint for your Harley.

Is this original / correct paint for the year?

Old 05-01-2019, 01:47 AM
journeymanjohn
Intermediate
Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Is this original / correct paint for the year?

So, I've been eyeing this Wide Glide for about three months. Been in negotiations with the current owner for about a month now, and think we have settled on a price we both agree on... but, I've looked at many, many, many of these online, and I realized that the tank nameplate on this one does NOT match any I've seen on other 1996 models. As a matter of fact, none of them even had nameplates, but rather decals.

No big deal in my mind, it's got a few little cosmetic extras here and there.... Little skull head bolts, leather lever covers, studded seats and luggage, etc.... they just decided to add the nameplate.... MAYBE. And, I kind of like it.

But... as I was researching those nameplate/emblems/ on mid 1990s Wide Glides, I realized none of them even had the same paint on the tank.

Close, yes, but not really. I mean the basic pin stripe design is prevalent in that era, but from what I saw, it usually in a two tone. One color inside the pin striping, and another out, and I'm not sure it's even the same shade/hue of red.

The pin striping is a bit different as well. From what I see online, most appear to just have a white stripe. This has the prevalent white stripe, but above, there is a smaller black one, and below... a smaller blueish one. Looks "factory" to me, but I'm an electrician... not a body shop guy.

This is may be my first Harley. I'm now a bit concerned that there is something amiss with this tank, leading me to believe it's been wrecked/damaged/ and repaired, but not 100% right. Then again.... it's possible it's just a style that wasn't highly popular, and/or just not coming across my 'radar' as I attempt to perform due diligence in my research before purchase.

I'll post pics, and hopefully get the crowds opinion. Has this tank been doctored, or not? Maybe it's a tank from a different year or model?

Last edited by journeymanjohn; 05-01-2019 at 02:01 AM.
Old 05-01-2019, 09:46 AM
journeymanjohn
Intermediate
Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

I contacted a local dealer, who ran the VIN.

She started life as "States Blue Pearl".

Old 05-08-2019, 02:18 PM
Nelz
Cruiser
Received 37 Likes on 34 Posts

Now you know what to get when you restore it to original.