Powdercoat & Paint A place to discuss everything about powder coat and paint for your Harley.

Spray Paint question

Search this Thread

Old 01-07-2012, 01:27 AM
BAGGERONABUDGET
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Spray Paint question

Ok I have a 07 SG and I got some stretched bags,fender,and side covers a couple months ago. I installed everything but the fender a while back. As you can tell in my name Im on a budget. I got the the kit for pretty cheap, so I didnt pass it up. When I got the bags,lids, and side covers I sanded and sprayed with a gloss black(rattle can).

Now I tore everything apart and drilled fender for seat hole and cut for exhaust. I have been doing all the body work(sanding,minor bondo and some glazing putty today). I have spent a ton of hours prepping for paint. Everything seems to be coming out pretty good.

I plan on getting a custom paint job eventually. What Im looking for is just some more spray painting tips. I painted the horn cover,air filter cover, and front forks in rattle can and it honestly looks good. No wear,chips,etc. I havent been able to ride the bike and I just want to get back on ASAP and cant afford(and wife would kill me) to get the rear end pieces painted the stock color(vivid black).

When I painted the bags when I first got them they came out nice, just now I am trying to just get everything prepped better.

Is there any tips I should take now for the paint to settle pretty good after all the work I have done? What color primer?

I dont want to rattle can the rear end pieces obviously, If I could take and get a new paint job I would love too. Its not a show bike by any means right now as far as rims and all that. I have seen a lot of rattle can paint jobs come out pretty good. Just looking for tips on doing it the right way this time after all the work I have done.

I know you guys are probably doing the face palm right now, but just want to ride and finish bike since I cant afford to get the bike painted. Before when I didnt do much prep except minor sanding it came out pretty good.

Thanks guys.

Old 01-07-2012, 05:16 PM
Dogs57
Tourer
Received 80 Likes on 52 Posts

I have done my fair share of rattlecan painting (I don't have the bucks to be springing for professional paint work myself) and most of it has turned out well. I have found if after you're paint is dry, you color sand starting with 1000 on up to 2000 grit sandpaper, then polish with some Scratch Out or similar product you can get a pretty smooth finish. Most of the time whatever I'm painting is getting painted black. It shows flaws more than any other color. My last bike the front and rear fenders were rattlecanned and nobody could tell they were. Good luck with your project.

Old 01-07-2012, 08:53 PM
Shadew
Advanced

DOGS57 has the ticket. Due to years of not having any money or credit, I painted alot of other makes with rattle can. Here is a picture of the wife's first bike, she didn't like it in black.

Attached Thumbnails Spray Paint question-marie-s-bike.jpg  
Old 01-09-2012, 11:48 AM
JRK5892
Banned
Received 24 Likes on 22 Posts

soak the rattle cans in hot water helps it flow out much better... this whole bike is shot in rattle can man, primer, base, clear... only thing not is the air brush work

Old 01-10-2012, 09:45 PM
Mr.Twisted
Cruiser

You can use a dark primer under the black, it helps with hiding stone chips down the road. I know pro painters will tint their primer to match the final color.

Old 01-12-2012, 07:46 PM
BAGGERONABUDGET
Tourer

Almost done. I had to get some hardware from ace so Im using their primer. Its a grey and lays pretty good. Im going to go with Krylon Gloss black and their clear. Now I know why body shops charge so much.

I traded my V&H ovals for stock exhaust from a local guy and I removed the baffles and flipped the exhaust so It has that downward angle cut now. I like the V&H ovals but I would have had a lot to chop off the fender to fit them. With the stock exhaust it was just minor. Everything lines up good and I got the hardware back on and everything seems to be going well.

Lots of sanding,priming, then finding minor issues with pin holes and filing with glazing putty and sanding again. Looks to be just about done. Hopefully painting this weekend.

Now just need to test fit license plate and possibly trim plate If I have too. Then get my lights. Going to be running some small strips of LEDs next to the plate and a plate light above it inside the frenched plate.

Ill post pics when complete. I cant wait! Bike has been apart since November. Just taking my time. I have kids and wife works so dont always get to work on it.

Old 01-13-2012, 06:26 PM
BAGGERONABUDGET
Tourer

Started shooting today. Sprayed my first piece which was one of my side extensions. Came out great. Very glossy,smooth and felt like a waxed car. Layed well. Found a small blemish and sanded and re shot now its crinkling up in areas that were perfect before.

Sprayed my fender and came out pretty good. Just minor touch ups. Lid came out good and did a small area to see how the clear layed and it shined up pretty good. Im using the Krylon Triple glaze.

After sanding and drying what do you guys use to clean the surface? I wanted to get acrylic clean but was pretty expensive and I would never use that much. I used rubbing alcohol but didnt seem to work to good. Weather was in the high 40s today. Can said 50-90* weather. Tomorrow and sunday are suppose to be 60s so hopefully some of the issues I had today was because of the temp. Hopefully I can get a lot done tomorrow. Just waiting on lights after this.

Old 01-13-2012, 06:54 PM
Shadew
Advanced

I use Naptha Thinner for a wipedown after wet sanding. Post some pics for us when you get a chance.

Old 01-13-2012, 08:42 PM
BAGGERONABUDGET
Tourer

Ok thanks. Im going to give the alcohol another shot tomorrow. I think today just may have been a bad day with the weather. Was pretty cold today for my area. Also need to use a micro fiber towel with the alcohol and not paper towels. Left all the little white fuzzys everywhere.

So tomorrow is heavy sanding on that side extension and saddlebag and minor on everything else. When I shot the first side extension I couldnt believe how nice it came out. Very glossy,and smooth like a fresh wax. I was thinking this is going to be easy and bike is going to come out sick. But then of course with my luck **** went **** up.

Ill post some pics when I get a chance of a finished product.

Old 01-13-2012, 09:56 PM
BAGGERONABUDGET
Tourer

Oh Im using Krylon Indoor/Outdoor Gloss black BTW. Seems to lay very well when prepped well. Not sure how tough it is. The clear should help that.

Quick Reply: Spray Paint question