Primary/Transmission/Driveline/Clutch Find answers to general powertrain, primary and transmission. Have clutch issues and need suggestions? Post them here.

2008 Street Glide, 30T pulley and Cruise Control question

Old 11-05-2014, 08:02 PM
Hallze
5th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2008 Street Glide, 30T pulley and Cruise Control question

Hi Everyone,

I've posted this question in the Touring section but thought I'd put it here too as it may be more relevant.

I've got a 2008 Street glide that I'm rebuilding the primary and trans on as it has a noise that is speed dependent. Hopefully the tools should turn up today so I can start pulling the trans apart.

I've been thinking for a while about changing the trans pulley to a 30 tooth unit to make 2 up, hill starts a bit easier. As we all know the '07 and '08's are a geared a bit high. I plan on using the Triglide pulley #83595-11. I realize that using this pulley and keeping the stock tooth belt I may have to elongate the rear axle hole.

My concern is I'm using a SEPST and speedo recal can't be done using this unit. I plan on getting a Dakota Digital SIM 1 to correct the speedo. Has anyone had problems with loosing their 6th gear light and cruise control? I'm not too concerned about the gear light but having cruise control is important.

If anyone has done this 30 tooth mod or knows a better way can you please help.

I've done a lot of reading/searching but I'm more confused/muddled up than at the start!

Thanks in advance.

Old 11-06-2014, 04:59 AM
grbrown
Club Member
Received 2,851 Likes on 2,419 Posts

Your query is Touring specific and I suspect you'll get a better response over there. I'm pretty sure there is an alternative rear pulley which can be used with the 30T to keep your belt and avoid any mods to the swingarm.

Old 11-06-2014, 09:13 AM
corliss@bakerdrivetrain.com
Banned
Received 1,856 Likes on 1,287 Posts

Rather then elongating the swing arm hole you can just get a 1 tooth shorter belt. The cruise drive and sixth gear indicator will not be a problem on your bike only on the throttle by wire bikes I believe yours still has a cable. Just use the recal unit you are planning on from Dakota digital.

Old 11-06-2014, 02:56 PM
Hallze
5th Gear

Hey Browny, thanks for the reply. One a different note how did you go with your CCE upper tree mods on your bike? I did mine about 6 months ago and have had a couple of issues.
Hi Mark, I was trying to get away from having to buy another belt if possible. They are pretty expensive over here in Australia. My bike is a TBW bike so dos that mean I will have problems with Cruise and 6th gear light?

Old 11-06-2014, 03:43 PM
corliss@bakerdrivetrain.com
Banned
Received 1,856 Likes on 1,287 Posts

Originally Posted by Hallze
Hey Browny, thanks for the reply. One a different note how did you go with your CCE upper tree mods on your bike? I did mine about 6 months ago and have had a couple of issues.
Hi Mark, I was trying to get away from having to buy another belt if possible. They are pretty expensive over here in Australia. My bike is a TBW bike so dos that mean I will have problems with Cruise and 6th gear light?
With the TBW you will need to have your ECM reflashed, Dyno Jet can do this. You will need to figure out what your new ratio's are in all six gears then someone like Dyno Jet can plug them into the gear table on the ECM. This will help in calculating:

http://bakerdrivetrain.com/gear-ratio-calculator#

Old 11-06-2014, 05:00 PM
grbrown
Club Member

Originally Posted by Hallze
I haven't started fitting mine yet. I discovered my fancy custom brakes were shot and have been gathering together the parts to use H-D Brembo brakes all round, including 'new' take-off sliders. When I'm done I will have the CCE kit plus recent SG front wheel and brakes. What issues are you having?

Old 11-07-2014, 02:29 PM
Hallze
5th Gear

Originally Posted by Mark@ Baker Drivetrain
With the TBW you will need to have your ECM reflashed, Dyno Jet can do this. You will need to figure out what your new ratio's are in all six gears then someone like Dyno Jet can plug them into the gear table on the ECM. This will help in calculating:

http://bakerdrivetrain.com/gear-ratio-calculator#
Thanks Mark. I'll search around and see if anyone here in Oz can do that for me. Cheers.

Old 11-07-2014, 03:06 PM
Hallze
5th Gear

Originally Posted by grbrown
I haven't started fitting mine yet. I discovered my fancy custom brakes were shot and have been gathering together the parts to use H-D Brembo brakes all round, including 'new' take-off sliders. When I'm done I will have the CCE kit plus recent SG front wheel and brakes. What issues are you having?
Since I installed the kit I've had a clunk in the front end. It is driving me crazy. I have literally had the whole front apart 6 or 7 times. Checked and adjusted the fall away numerous times but no better. I fitted the hardened steel washer under the lock nut on the upper triple tree and torqued to 90 f/lbs. That made a slight difference. I have tried to contact Rick numerous times but since he sold me the kit he now doesn't return emails. I emailed his secretary and she replied and said she would pass it onto Rick. He still hasn't had the courtesy of replying. Now the secretary won't respond to emails either. I even got a friend to email them asking about fitting one to his bike and surprise surprise, they were able to respond to him...

I was only wanting Rick to give me some suggestions to help me out in fixing this problem. I'm very happy with how the bike handles now, it has to be easily 100 times better than before. I am that frustrated with this darn noise that I am seriously thinking about removing the CCE product and going back to stock. Overall I am disappointed with Rick and the CCE crew for the total lack of after sales support they supplied.

I did read on a forum at one stage that someone else had an incorrectly machined CCE upper tree that was giving problems as well. I didn't save the post and now I can't find it..

Old 11-08-2014, 07:08 AM
grbrown
Club Member

Hallze, sorry to hear about that, I can understand your frustration. My set-up once built will include new sliders, single-rate springs plus Intiminators, so plenty of new stuff to go wrong! I also live outside the USA and when ordering my kit phoned them and had a long conversation with Rick, intially to clarify the mix of parts I needed, but also generally about the kit. It would be worth phoning him IMHO, which may yield a more satisfactory situation.

What springs did you use in your forks and have you checked sag? Soft springs or poor sag (too much or too little compression when sitting on the bike) can cause topping or bottoming of the forks, which will be audible while riding.

Old 01-04-2015, 05:50 AM
6 gun
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 1,743 Likes on 980 Posts