Primary/Transmission/Driveline/Clutch Find answers to general powertrain, primary and transmission. Have clutch issues and need suggestions? Post them here.

love the new Baker compensator! Works great! Pics.

Search this Thread

Old 03-24-2015, 09:47 AM
soft 02
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,570 Likes on 2,888 Posts
Talking love the new Baker compensator! Works great! Pics.

Been running this one for about 2400 miles. Took some adjusting as it was a pre production unit but once it was dialed in I have been very happy with it. No more choppy-ness at slow speeds and no clunk on start up. Cant wait to see some folks put some real miles on this thing. The SE comp started going out at about 6000 miles. I have high hopes this one will last much longer due to the ramp to ramp design and being that its going to be Rockwell 50 hardness it should hold up to what you throw at it. You do feel the motor more with this comp because it has less of a cushioning effect than the SE but once you get used to it its no big deal. Heck its a Harley not a Goldwing. I would rather feel a little more of the motor than have to change out my comp every year. Mind you I am running a 124" motor with a Bandit clutch that only allows 18 oz of primary fluid. Mark has already covered most of the technical info on the Baker comp in other threads.

Old 03-24-2015, 10:34 AM
coastie56
Grand HDF Member

Received 399 Likes on 333 Posts

Very cool. Still have my original in my 08 but that's what's going in next!

Old 03-24-2015, 10:42 AM
Smokey Stover
Road Warrior
Received 55 Likes on 52 Posts

Subscribed. Thanks for the updates soft 02.

Old 03-24-2015, 10:47 AM
grbrown
Club Member
Received 2,852 Likes on 2,419 Posts

That's great and thanks for posting. I wonder what Mark has got for us next?!

Old 03-24-2015, 10:52 AM
corliss@bakerdrivetrain.com
Banned
Received 1,856 Likes on 1,287 Posts

Originally Posted by grbrown
That's great and thanks for posting. I wonder what Mark has got for us next?!
Hopefully a main drive gear bearing, it's up to Bert which project happens next.

Old 03-24-2015, 11:06 AM
soft 02
Seasoned HDF Member

No prob. I know some of you need some teeser pics.

Last edited by soft 02; 03-24-2015 at 11:33 AM.
Old 03-24-2015, 12:21 PM
JW1200
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 20,876 Likes on 8,236 Posts

Looks pretty cool!!

Old 03-24-2015, 12:39 PM
wscott
Road Warrior
Received 136 Likes on 120 Posts

FYI,i posted this as a main topic in primary forum but thought it would be good also include it here for guys to see since this post is comp related too.

This new prodcut seems to have a viable fix that addresses the lack of oil to the comp thats designed to fit HD's latest version of their SE comp ,maybe we could get the mfg of this product to design a 2nd version to fit Bakers new comp which would likely last forever with the additional oiling this product provides.

So check out the 1st hand testimonials from people that had mult comp failures in a row then their exp post installing this product along with checking out the links to their website too and let me know what you think.

Scott
================================================== ==================================

I 1st i want to say i have no stake or stock in this CO or know anyone affiliated with it either.

Ok,with all the trouble many of us (including me!) are having with the compensator on our bikes i was very excited when i came by this new product designed to address HD's compensator issue and wanted to post this so everyone here in the HD forum has a chance to see it and make thier own decision on if they think its a viable product or not and or to buy/install it or not .

I know it's has been mentioned here & there in posts in this forum but it gets lost in those posts as its not the main subject.

But since it looked like such a good product to address the comp oiling issues on the HD i could not resist posting it here to ensure everyone see's because it looks as though it could greatly reduce failure rate while also greatly increasing reliability / srvc life of HD's heavier duty SE comp .

It looks to be one of the best if not the best aftermarket upgrade i have seen that " directly addresses the lack of oil issue " that the comp see's on the HD.

I would not be surprised if you never have an issue with a comp again on a stock to even fairly hot/modded HD running HD's latest design SE comp with the additional oiling this product provides.

It's designed to work with the current replacement SE comp on the market today.

I ordered it the other day to install with the current Se Comp on my 09 FLHTCU.

Here are the links to it with a little info on the compensaver and a few 1st hand use testimonials from guys that installed it too.

So chk it out and let me know what think!

Scott

http://gmrperformance.com/

http://www.compensaver.com/

What it is

The CompenSaver is an oil delivery system to prevent premature failure of the Harley Davidson compensator #42200064A on the Twin Cam engines produced starting in 2014. The compensator is retro fit-able from 2007 through 2013 model years. Cast in high quality steel.
What it does

The CompenSaver redistributes lubrication to the working surfaces of the compensator that has been thrown out due to centrifugal forces. It supports and enhances the capillary action created by the Harley compensator by providing a generous oil supply to the interior of the assembly that otherwise is receiving an inadequate supply of oil to properly protect the spokes, cam and cam splines plus increases the oil supply to the oil intake at the end of the retainer providing a consistant oil flow to the sprocket bore and thrust areas.
What it prevents

• Excessive wear of the contact surfaces
  • Fretting
  • The composite thrust washer reduces noise produced by the metal on metal roll thrust bearing
  • greatly reduces damaging metal debris in primary assembly
  • Unnecessary costly repairs
$199.00

================================================== =====

Some feedback on it with some guys that had mult comp failures in short timeframe/not many miles:

Posted on HDTALKING March , 2014

The idea of the "Compensaver" and the way it is made to oil the needed parts that usually run DRY/and Rust, is a BIG Improvement over the old "A" SE compensator replacement that I put into my 09 King. I grooved my compensator face to get some oil into it BUT The COMPENSAVER would have really helped on mine, even when I'm using the "A" SE replacement compensator.

NOW combining the Newer Comp. with the lube holes and the CompenSaver is the Cats Meow...
It IS just like Hoople said to me before he left this forum ......" The compensaver is A Quality Built/Best Idea item he ran across that will do the Oiling Job and Prevent/STOP Fretting..."

NO Guilt in Giving Credit where Credit is Due.... Products that help us out like the COMPENSAVER does, should be Broadcast here for all to see....

signed....BUBBIE

__________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ ___________

Email to us April, 2014

I have been running the CompenSaver in the primary of my 08 FLHX with a 148 hp 124" engine for the past year and I run ATF fluid in my primary.
I went thru two SE comps before purchasing the CompenSaver. My hope was to add it to my primary to try to cure my SE comp woes.
With the purchase of my 3rd SE comp along with the added CompenSaver...my primary has operated flawlessly and has not made a peep ever since I installed it.
I had my primary apart again this past winter to do a final drive chain conversion from the belt drive. I was absolutely amazed at the condition of my comp once I had my primary opened up. It had no galling or fretting anywhere and looked as good as new with a little over 5000 miles put on it.
My first two SE comp's only had 1500 miles on each of them before they started making a terrible racket...and once I pulled them apart...both comp's were basically dry with galling and fretting. They both were terrible condition because they were not getting any oil to the inside them.
Now with the CompenSaver added to my primary...my comp is enjoying a bath on the inside everytime I start it up.
I couldn't be happier with the results!
Ray
aka No Cents

__________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ ___________

Emailed to us April, 2014

Setting up my ’08 FLHX with a 117 motor, and a performance clutch system that requires ATF. I was very concerned that my new SE compensator wouldn’t live long. Seems that no matter what lube is used, the SE compensators don’t have a very long life. After seeking options to prolong the compensator’s life, I decided that the GMR Compensaver would be my only option, and best chance of getting life out of the SE compensator. After 7,500+ miles running ATF in my primary, the compensator looks great, and performs as it should. There’s no other option out there for getting lubrication into the compensator that they desperately need.
Brian W.

Emailed to us April 11, 2014

I like others have had plenty of problems and complaints from customers about the new style comps. Noisy, galling, worn out before they ever get off the dyno. The compensaver address these issues and after checking my own after 8000 miles of run time on it. My comp still looks like the day I put it in. Absolutely no noise and I haven't had a customer complaint about the ones I have installed. Great product.

Jason C
C&S Speed Shop

Old 03-24-2015, 12:43 PM
soft 02
Seasoned HDF Member

Wscott does this work with the Baker comp?

Old 03-24-2015, 01:27 PM
wscott
Road Warrior
Received 136 Likes on 120 Posts

Originally Posted by soft 02
Wscott does this work with the Baker comp?
==============

No,its designed specifically to work with HD's latest version of their SE comp.

But,when i get a chance i am going to contact GMR (mfg of the compensaver) to ask them to take a look at dong a design revision required to make it work Bakers new HD comp thats better then HD's Se comp.

Maybe Baker & GMR perf could team up to make a rock solid comp pkg for twin cam HD's making Bakers new comp just about bullet proof with the additional oiling the Compensaver should provide.

I would think that would be a win win situation for Baker/GMR-Compensave & the HD owners too.

Add Bakers new design comp with a compensave designed to fit bakers new comp (if thats possible) along with HD's latest version of their auto adj prim chain tensioner thats on its 3rd design revision that seems to have better addressed the over tightening issue significantly extending its srv'c life when installed & adj properly along with proper oil maint of primary fluid too and you would not have to open up the primary for many yrs .

Compensaver/GMR rec's pulling pri cover at i think its 35k-40k miles to take a few mins to clean out the tray etc of the compensaver itself to ensure nothing gets clogged/gummed up from contamination/particles from clutch pack wear that could reduce and or stop the additional oiling from getting to the comp.

Scott

Quick Reply: love the new Baker compensator! Works great! Pics.