Primary/Transmission/Driveline/Clutch Find answers to general powertrain, primary and transmission. Have clutch issues and need suggestions? Post them here.

ATF with stock clutch

Search this Thread

Old 03-31-2015, 07:21 PM
Bikerscum
Road Master
Received 9 Likes on 4 Posts
Default ATF with stock clutch

A user on another thread reports good success with ATF in the primary breaking the oil seal on the clutch disks that causes the dreaded first gear KLANK. My question is has there been any long term testing on the effects of ATF on the stock comp and chain, Baker tensioner? Any certain type of ATF better than others?

I'm guessing people stay away from ATF for fear of clutch slippage, I'm not so sure a bit of slippage would be such a bad thing.

Thanks.

Old 04-01-2015, 07:55 AM
corliss@bakerdrivetrain.com
Banned
Received 1,856 Likes on 1,287 Posts

I'll just say that you will encounter no problems with our adjuster using ATF. As for the stock compensator, i don't know if holy water could help that thing.

Old 04-01-2015, 11:00 AM
jakazz
Road Captain
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Mark@ Baker Drivetrain
I'll just say that you will encounter no problems with our adjuster using ATF. As for the stock compensator, i don't know if holy water could help that thing.
LOL.......I use atf grips nicer and when my comp dies I'll get the baker

Old 04-01-2015, 11:11 AM
Bikerscum
Road Master
Received 9 Likes on 4 Posts

When the comp dies, is it a sudden thing? Or is it gradual with warning signs. When it comes right down to it I really don't give a **** about replacing the comp.... I'll buy the baker or replace it once a year if I have to to get a smoother shifting bike.

Will the baker comp be ok with ATF?

Old 04-01-2015, 11:19 AM
corliss@bakerdrivetrain.com
Banned
Received 1,856 Likes on 1,287 Posts

Originally Posted by Bikerscum
When the comp dies, is it a sudden thing? Or is it gradual with warning signs. When it comes right down to it I really don't give a **** about replacing the comp.... I'll buy the baker or replace it once a year if I have to to get a smoother shifting bike.

Will the baker comp be ok with ATF?
Atf will be fine with our compensator. here is a good test to determine the state of your compensator. Hold the front brake like you're about to do a burnout, put it in first and let the clutch about half way out, if it stays quiet you're good if it starts knocking get ready to replace it.

Last edited by corliss@bakerdrivetrain.com; 04-01-2015 at 11:21 AM.
Old 04-01-2015, 09:49 PM
HD Bobber
Elite HDF Member
Received 201 Likes on 154 Posts

Atf will be fine with our compensator. here is a good test to determine the state of your compensator. Hold the front brake like you're about to do a burnout, put it in first and let the clutch about half way out, if it stays quiet you're good if it starts knocking get ready to replace it.
Never knew to test the comp that way. Thanks Mark.

Old 04-11-2015, 09:09 PM
hog95023
Elite HDF Member
Received 161 Likes on 106 Posts

. I took my 09 in to HD under warranty for that very issue. Repeated the noise for the service manager. He got on and repeated it too. Then said its normal they are supposed to do that. I have replaced it when i i upped my CI but damn these HD guys are funny.

Old 04-11-2015, 09:28 PM
HD Bobber
Elite HDF Member
Received 201 Likes on 154 Posts

Very few HD dealers know performance......usually they hear the stock crap and to them it's normal. I never once to my bike to the dealer and never will. If I can't figure it out I will turn to the forums or someone local w/ more knowledge than me.