Primary/Transmission/Driveline/Clutch Find answers to general powertrain, primary and transmission. Have clutch issues and need suggestions? Post them here.

Possible IPB problem

Search this Thread

Old 06-01-2015, 07:29 PM
Stych
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Possible IPB problem

Hi, I've got an '06 Dyna as per my sig. When I had the primary off to replace the pulley, I also replaced the IPB with the Baker unit as a preventative measure. Now just today (about 4k miles later) I heard a howl/almost grinding sound from my primary, and as I coasted to a stop, I could feel something grabbing, almost like a break. I was only a block from work, so I continued on and the problem came and went a few times. With the bike out of gear, you can feel it grab when you push the bike. If I rock it a little it releases and rolls good for a bit and then grabs again. No sound from breaks or wheel bearings. I'll tear into it tomorrow, but any advice heading into this would be much appreciated. Thanks, and have a great day.

Stych

Old 06-01-2015, 10:28 PM
Stych
Cruiser

OK, so if I'm remembering correctly, only the input shaft rides on the IPB. That being the case, if it does this in neutral, it's gotta be the bearing on the output shaft? That sounds unpleasant. Hmm...

Old 06-01-2015, 10:50 PM
Ed Ramberger
Stellar HDF Member
Received 887 Likes on 621 Posts

Originally Posted by Stych
Hi, I've got an '06 Dyna as per my sig. When I had the primary off to replace the pulley, I also replaced the IPB with the Baker unit as a preventative measure. Now just today (about 4k miles later) I heard a howl/almost grinding sound from my primary, and as I coasted to a stop, I could feel something grabbing, almost like a break. I was only a block from work, so I continued on and the problem came and went a few times. With the bike out of gear, you can feel it grab when you push the bike. If I rock it a little it releases and rolls good for a bit and then grabs again. No sound from breaks or wheel bearings. I'll tear into it tomorrow, but any advice heading into this would be much appreciated. Thanks, and have a great day.

Stych
Do not be surprised if the rotor shell bolts are failing. The rotor/compensator assembly was redesigned in 2007 without bolts - the assembly is now welded.

The last one I did like this had symptoms very much like yours. If the battery light comes on, you will know but if you have a noise and a physical sensation something is hitting you need to take it apart.

Old 06-01-2015, 11:20 PM
Stych
Cruiser

No battery light, and I welded the rotor when I was in there the first time. I should have added that it also does this when the bike is NOT running and in is neutral. Thanks though.

Old 06-02-2015, 02:07 AM
Ed Ramberger
Stellar HDF Member
Received 887 Likes on 621 Posts

Please post what you find

Old 06-02-2015, 08:42 AM
Stych
Cruiser

I definitely will. The more I think about it, the more I think that it must either the bearing that supports the output shaft, or the front pulley/sprocket itself has somehow worked loose. Grr...

Old 06-02-2015, 10:23 AM
corliss@bakerdrivetrain.com
Banned
Received 1,856 Likes on 1,287 Posts

Double check your chain tension when you get in there, even our high torque bearing can't stand up to an over tightened primary chain.

Old 06-02-2015, 10:37 AM
Stych
Cruiser

Will do Mark. It has the "automatic" adjuster from the factory. Would an IPB still be making any noise with the engine off?

Old 06-02-2015, 10:39 AM
Greezey Rider
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 2,493 Likes on 1,073 Posts

Dump that automatic adjuster.....Those things are JUNK!

Old 06-02-2015, 10:45 AM
Stych
Cruiser

Agreed, the automatic adjuster needs to go, but since the problem is just as bad with the engine off and the tranny in neutral, I'm starting to doubt that this has anything to do with the primary :-(

Quick Reply: Possible IPB problem