Primary/Transmission/Driveline/Clutch Find answers to general powertrain, primary and transmission. Have clutch issues and need suggestions? Post them here.

whine in gear under load only

Old 06-27-2015, 08:50 PM
blackhatguy
Novice
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default whine in gear under load only

Hello, new member here. I will make introductions elsewhere however, right now I have a problem I am working on and could really use some input. I am working on a Sportster now, 1994 xl1200. I was a dumba$$ and ran it about 50 miles on a dry primary, after forgetting to fill it after a fluid and oil change. I was so clueless and preoccupied that I did not even notice that it was out of oil until I prepared to pull the primary cover off to investigate the new noise it was making. Before I discovered my mistake, I was experiencing A jet like whining sound on first gear, second gear, third gear, and fourth gear, but not fifth gear, only while accelerating. It did remain perfectly quiet as soon as I pulled in the clutch, or let go of the throttle. then, when I took off the primary cover to investigate what damage may have been done, the only thing I find readily apparent is A loose clutch basket bearing. The transmission input shaft bearing sounds dry obviously, but has no run out and does not look like it was overheated. I have not put it back together yet, because I was going to get the clutch basket bearing replaced before doing so, but I would like to hear yalls opinion on this problem... Keeping in mind I already know I was a dork for forgetting the fluid.

Old 06-28-2015, 08:53 AM
hardheaded
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 2,481 Likes on 1,540 Posts

put some oil in it and take it for a ride.

Old 06-28-2015, 01:39 PM
blackhatguy
Novice

Just did, new bearing for the hell of it and 75-90 Lucas in the primary. Not a peep from anywhere but the pipes. Thanks.

Old 07-08-2015, 04:37 AM
Yankee Dog
Stellar HDF Member

Received 1,726 Likes on 924 Posts

We all do stupid stuff every now and then...it is human nature.

I had a buddy run his vintage triumph trident with no oil for about 10 miles, then when he discovered that he had to crankcase oil, instead of calling someone, he rode it home and yep, threw a rod on the way home.

Glad you got it fixed without too much hassle. YD

Old 07-08-2015, 06:57 PM
blackhatguy
Novice

my lord, I think I would cry some unapologetic grown man tears on that one. Hope he got it up and running again.

Old 07-08-2015, 11:10 PM
anyaneeeze
Cruiser

Originally Posted by blackhatguy
Just did, new bearing for the hell of it and 75-90 Lucas in the primary. Not a peep from anywhere but the pipes. Thanks.

Which bearing did you replace the clutch basket bearing or the transmission input shaft bearing? I have same noise going on.

Thanks

Old 07-09-2015, 12:01 AM
blackhatguy
Novice

I only replaced the basket bearing, but I learned that noise can be from a few things; basket bearing, primary chain too tight, input shaft bearing, any gear but fifth (because it's the only one not helical and therefore does not side load against the bearing), trans output shaft bearing, or loose crankshaft sprocket nut, and, believe it or not, the rear wheel bearing has been known to fool a few techs I've talked to. what side do you hear it from? Belt or output you will hear on it's own side, crankshaft sprocket noise will be primary side at front. bad gears, lack of lube, input and basket bearings at rear. Then you ask "under load, or always?". Constant can be crankshaft sprocket, clutch basket, or damage to tensioner. Under load can be lack of lube, worn gears, input bearing, wheel bearing, output bearing or even a loose bracket vibrating with the increased engine speed (read that in another post while searching for clues). Pinpoint the noise and when it happens, and get back to me.

Last edited by blackhatguy; 07-09-2015 at 12:05 AM. Reason: add info