Primary/Transmission/Driveline/Clutch Find answers to general powertrain, primary and transmission. Have clutch issues and need suggestions? Post them here.

Clutch slipping, 4-speed, shovelhead, dryclutch

Old 08-21-2015, 02:23 PM
e.kortesalmi
5th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation Clutch slipping, 4-speed, shovelhead, dryclutch

Hello

I have weird and annoying problem with my clutch, it has been around now for two weeks and can't get rid of it.

Problem is that on 4th gear and on highway speed like 50-60mph clutch start losing the grip. When i try accelerate it's start slipping and i end the situation that my running speed need to come slower and slower to not lose clutch.

And then (not so) funny thing. I have replace now clutch hub with 10 stud version, steel plates and friction plates. And problem stays the same. No mather how i try to adjust clutch, i have done it so many times that i know it's correct. And no mather how i set tension on preasure plate / springs, it's affect almost like nothing on slipping problem.

So any ideas, i have under 12 hour to go before our trip should be starting. So no rush! I'm motorbike mechanic for years of experience and haven't had this kind weird problem ever. And specially not with my own bike.

So what can cause clutch slipping on higher speed.

Here thing on short list:
10stud hub, new
steel plates, new
friction plates, new
clutch springs still on values
clutch basket like new, runned only 2 summer.
bearing behind clutch hub, fine.
Clutch lining correct
Clutch working find on gear change and when start moving.

4-speed gearbox was open last winter, there was everything okay, gearbox is like 30000ml old or so.

Can gearbox cause wrong way torque which cause clutch start slipping?

Can final drive cause wrong way torque and cause clutch start slipping?

All ideas are wellcome!

Regards
Elias
Finland

Old 08-24-2015, 02:57 PM
corliss@bakerdrivetrain.com
Banned
Received 1,856 Likes on 1,287 Posts

Originally Posted by e.kortesalmi
Hello

I have weird and annoying problem with my clutch, it has been around now for two weeks and can't get rid of it.

Problem is that on 4th gear and on highway speed like 50-60mph clutch start losing the grip. When i try accelerate it's start slipping and i end the situation that my running speed need to come slower and slower to not lose clutch.

And then (not so) funny thing. I have replace now clutch hub with 10 stud version, steel plates and friction plates. And problem stays the same. No mather how i try to adjust clutch, i have done it so many times that i know it's correct. And no mather how i set tension on preasure plate / springs, it's affect almost like nothing on slipping problem.

So any ideas, i have under 12 hour to go before our trip should be starting. So no rush! I'm motorbike mechanic for years of experience and haven't had this kind weird problem ever. And specially not with my own bike.

So what can cause clutch slipping on higher speed.

Here thing on short list:
10stud hub, new
steel plates, new
friction plates, new
clutch springs still on values
clutch basket like new, runned only 2 summer.
bearing behind clutch hub, fine.
Clutch lining correct
Clutch working find on gear change and when start moving.

4-speed gearbox was open last winter, there was everything okay, gearbox is like 30000ml old or so.

Can gearbox cause wrong way torque which cause clutch start slipping?

Can final drive cause wrong way torque and cause clutch start slipping?

All ideas are wellcome!

Regards
Elias
Finland
If a clutch is going to slip it will be in the higher gears, have you used one of these.

https://www.google.com/webhp?sourcei...ainer&tbm=shop

Might be worth a shot.

Thanks

Mark