Primary/Transmission/Driveline/Clutch Find answers to general powertrain, primary and transmission. Have clutch issues and need suggestions? Post them here.

Easy derby cover swap... Not. Way to go noob!

Search this Thread

Old 08-23-2015, 11:46 PM
15Fe883
Stage II
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Easy derby cover swap... Not. Way to go noob!

Ooook, well Mr. Mechanic here finally decided to spend a little money today, one purchase being a fancy new derby cover. Cliche I know, but I couldn't resist. But anyway, as I took the old cover off it drained out the oil, crazy huh?! But the adjustment nut, I believe, (Center, spring loaded nut) fell out with the cover. I thought I'd just barley thread it back on, throw a little oil in and on with the new cover. Well... Every time I've got it all back together, my clutch handle is tight as can be. If I screw that piece back in further would it loosen up? I'm lost. Almost makes me wonder if the cover is the wrong size...? Any help would be greatly appreciated, since obviously my high level mechanic skills are absent at the moment... This is on a 15' Iron 883 by the way.

Old 08-24-2015, 02:22 PM
nevil
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 969 Likes on 732 Posts

I would start from scratch and do a full clutch adjustment. It's possible that the cable is too tight, but that's the last step in the adjustment. There are plenty of videos on line for the clutch adjustment.

Old 08-25-2015, 01:02 AM
15Fe883
Stage II
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Welllll... I fingered it out...

Well... As much as I'd like to not have any replies to which I owe an explanation to, I do thank you for your time & help nevil.
Here's the deal ... When I removed the stock cover & the spring-loaded nut fell, I didn't see the way it went in. I reinstalled it backwards, genius I know, with the spring facing into the clutch. Somehow it went in snug & seemed to fit perfectly. It would even tighten up as I tried "adjusting" it. So I pried (sp) it out, flipped it around & put it all back together. Problem solved lol.
My only issue now is the clutch is loose as hell. I mean it has about a half inch from engaged to completely out. The lever blows back to the bars as I'm goin down the highway. If I re-do everything, do I now turn that nut clockwise to tighten it up? That'd be my guess? I actually like it like this, a lot. But just to be safe I think I need it a little tighter.
Thanks for advise tho man, glad to know there's help if (more like when ) I need it next time...

Old 08-25-2015, 10:45 AM
nevil
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 969 Likes on 732 Posts

If what you mean by the clutch being loose is that there's a lot of freeplay in the lever, there is a cable adjustment under a rubber boot on the cable. All you may have to do is make the cable tight enough so you have about 1/8" play at the lever.