Primary/Transmission/Driveline/Clutch Find answers to general powertrain, primary and transmission. Have clutch issues and need suggestions? Post them here.

Compensator Install Question

Search this Thread

Old 10-15-2015, 09:53 PM
Northbound Southerner
Elite HDF Member
Received 85 Likes on 70 Posts
Default Compensator Install Question

I just finished installing my comp and everything it buttoned back up. Runs great and no clunks or weird noises but...Is there anyway you can put the shaft extension on backwards and still get everything to bolt together right? I only ask because I don't remember making sure the flat side was on the alternator rotor. I doubt it would go back together and I REALLY doubt I would put it on backwards but in doing my mental review, I don't remember making sure the flat side was where it's supposed to be. I attached the link so folks would understand what I am talking about. I know this sounds insane but I always go back and mentally review work I do. I'd hate to have to pull the compensator apart just to check but I would do it for piece of mine. OCD I guess...

http://www.harley-davidson.com/app-c...ts/-J05674.PDF

Old 10-16-2015, 12:29 AM
Next In Line
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 160 Likes on 126 Posts

It is a lot cheaper to take it all a part and do it over if you are unsure rather than to assume it is alright only find out down the road you were wrong.

Old 10-16-2015, 08:12 AM
Northbound Southerner
Elite HDF Member
Received 85 Likes on 70 Posts

Originally Posted by Next In Line
It is a lot cheaper to take it all a part and do it over if you are unsure rather than to assume it is alright only find out down the road you were wrong.
Agreed. I am hoping someone will chime in that can tell me a way to tell without pulling the comp bolt again. That thing is a PITA to get out...