Primary/Transmission/Driveline/Clutch Find answers to general powertrain, primary and transmission. Have clutch issues and need suggestions? Post them here.

clutch noise when engaged

Search this Thread

Old 11-23-2015, 05:31 PM
dcdr
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default clutch noise when engaged

just posted this in the softail section..... A few months back i scraped my primary cover over a tree root and punctured it. I noticed within 10 feet that it happened and pulled over and got the bike towed home. had my mechanic replace the cover and do a service on the bike. since then i've ridden the bike maybe 3 times, the last one being the trip to my parents house to store it for the winter. Well it's been nice out so I decided to ride it once more. I got maybe a mile up the street before i noticed some clutch noise. I was stopped at a light in neutral and noticed when I engaged the clutch (pulled the lever in) I heard a noise like a scraping or grinding almost. when I disengaged the clutch the noise would stop. needless to say I brought the bike straight home. does anyone know what could be causing this? is it possible the clown that gave me a new primary cover forgot to put oil in there and i only now noticed it after 3 rides? I didn't have any tools with me so I havent taken the derby cover off yet to look around. the bike is an '08 and has about 25,000 miles on it. any help would be greatly appreciated!

Old 11-24-2015, 08:08 AM
corliss@bakerdrivetrain.com
Banned
Received 1,856 Likes on 1,287 Posts

Fluid would be a good idea, might be a clutch hub bearing too or throwout bearing for that matter.