Primary/Transmission/Driveline/Clutch Find answers to general powertrain, primary and transmission. Have clutch issues and need suggestions? Post them here.

primo clutch question

Search this Thread

Old 12-07-2015, 12:29 PM
jeffbetrollin
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default primo clutch question

Hey guys I got a primo revera extra disk clutch kit. It comes with a stiffer spring. But I was wondering if I could run my stock spring to avoid a hard clutch pull? Or would it defeat the purpose of the upgraded clutch?

Old 12-08-2015, 04:47 AM
jeffbetrollin
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Little bump?

Old 12-08-2015, 02:15 PM
HD Pilot
Elite HDF Member
Received 55 Likes on 47 Posts

Any time you use a lighter spring you lose clutch pressure and this may or may not be a problem. Generally the more hp/tq the motor the more you need clutch pressure to prevent slipping when you "get on it". This clutch pressure can come from extra friction area, clutch spring and sometimes from spinning weights.

In your case you are increasing the clutch gripping with the extra plate but are giving up on some additional help by using a lighter spring, so it kinda boils down to how much help you need...were you slipping all the time or just a tad here and there? You can always start with the lighter spring and if that is not enough, swap out for the stiffer one.

Just know that all aftermarket clutch springs are not created equally, some are stiffer than others and may not be necessary. I was using a +1 kit with the Barnett spring and got really tired of the stiff clutch pull, so I swapped in the SE one and the pull was much lighter and tolerable. Now I have the Bandit Sportsman clutch....OMG, much nicer shifting than ever before and the clutch pull feels like stock - easy peasy!