Primary/Transmission/Driveline/Clutch Find answers to general powertrain, primary and transmission. Have clutch issues and need suggestions? Post them here.

2011 compensator wear. Baker or HD ?

Search this Thread

Old 12-27-2015, 11:00 PM
ElectraLarry
Tourer
Received 17 Likes on 11 Posts
Default 2011 compensator wear. Baker or HD ?

I have a 2011 FLTRX Roadglide custom with 28,000 miles. I needed to pull my inner primary off to replace the main shaft bearing oil seal. I was surprised to find the compensator wear as bad as it was. The 2011 models have the SE compensator from the factory so I was expecting a longer service life with a stock 96" engine and Amsoil synthetic oil since new. The new Baker compensator looks like a nice choice but at $400 I am leaning towards the newest HD SE unit. I am also factoring in my plan to buy a new bike in the next 2 years. Here are a few pics of the wear:

Last edited by ElectraLarry; 12-27-2015 at 11:03 PM.
Old 12-28-2015, 12:29 AM
Skogdog
Cruiser
Received 25 Likes on 19 Posts

I have chimed in on other posts regarding this issue..so to summarize:
HD made a huge blunder with the compensator pulley design for most of the 96 cubic inch bikes. My 2010 had the original, and later they 'upgraded' to the SE. My understanding is that there have been a couple of improvements to the SE meanwhile, so maybe it's better than the early SE upgrades. The service tech in KC I talked to told me that he'd replaced a good many of the early SE upgrades as well.
My next will be a Baker. Those 'engineers' at HD should have had a recall on the POS pulley design and replaced them for free, instead they want to hook us for the pricey SE upgrade. I won't do it. No way.
Maybe a replacement followed by a trade-in might meet your needs. I like my 2010 SG, and will probably keep it for a while, but will absolutely NOT partcipate in my own screw job courtesy of Harley Davidson Corporate....

Old 12-28-2015, 12:23 PM
ElectraLarry
Tourer
Received 17 Likes on 11 Posts

I just called Baker Drivetrain... ouch! $499 for the new design. I think it would be a good investment if I were keeping the bike another 5 years but that's a lot of coin to repair another one of Harley's shortcomings. If you include the Baker Attitude Adjuster (chain tensioner) we are up and over $700, while the Harley setup with a Hayden tensioner will run me $400 with a 20% discount at my dealer. I know, it's only an extra $300 bucks but where does it end? This is another reason a Victory Cross Country is looking better every day.

Last edited by ElectraLarry; 12-28-2015 at 12:34 PM.
Old 12-28-2015, 10:02 PM
wscott
Road Warrior
Received 136 Likes on 120 Posts

Stock compensator on my 09 96" was shot @ 9,700 miles.

HD has poor oiln gof the comp which is why your SE comp was so worn.

Baker comp is better built and stronger but it still doesnt fully address the lack of proper oiling of the compensator in general .

So even though the baker comp design should last longer it still doesnt fully address the lack of oiling like the GMR compensaver does by introducing additional oil to an HD SE compensator all the time the motors running addressing one of the main root causes of many a premature comp failure.

Here is a good mod and or fix that directly addresses the oiling issues for the compensator that i installed on my bike with a new SE comp 4/2015 with 8500 miles thus far & all is ok as it should be.

BTW,Surdyke Hd parts oiling usually has best/lowest price on new Se comp that could be your local dealer price inc S&H so chk them out before buying parts from your local Dealer.

See below for details.

Scott

http://gmrperformance.com/products/compensaver/

What it is

The CompenSaver is an oil delivery system to prevent premature failure of the Harley Davidson compensator #42200064A on the Twin Cam engines produced starting in 2014. The compensator is retro fit-able from 2007 through 2013 model years. Cast in high quality steel.
What it does

The CompenSaver redistributes lubrication to the working surfaces of the compensator that has been thrown out due to centrifugal forces. It supports and enhances the capillary action created by the Harley compensator by providing a generous oil supply to the interior of the assembly that otherwise is receiving an inadequate supply of oil to properly protect the spokes, cam and cam splines plus increases the oil supply to the oil intake at the end of the retainer providing a consistant oil flow to the sprocket bore and thrust areas.
What it prevents

• Excessive wear of the contact surfaces
  • Fretting
  • The composite thrust washer reduces noise produced by the metal on metal roll thrust bearing
  • greatly reduces damaging metal debris in primary assembly
  • Unnecessary costly repairs
Installation Instructions

The following link will help you to install Compensaver. Please review the documentation before contacting GMR Performance with any questions. If after you review the instructions if you have questions or comments you can contact us via email.
Purchase CompenSaver

Prevent premature failure of your Harley Davidson compensator with a high quality steel CompenSaver. The CompenSaver redistributes lubrication to the working surfaces of the compensator that has been thrown out due to centrifugal forces.
Includes: Oiler Tray, Thrust Washer and Hardware (bolts & o-rings)

Last edited by wscott; 12-28-2015 at 10:09 PM.
Old 01-01-2016, 09:06 PM
Bumpandrun
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 414 Likes on 297 Posts

I am very sure oiling isn't going to help there **** poor material. Running ATF in my 2012 with 32,000 and it's just starting to look like all the others that I have replaced or looked at with about the same miles. Was wanting to buy one more new bike in my life. But no more . Put the good stuff in this one and screw the MOCO

Old 01-02-2016, 07:25 AM
dirty 3rdy
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm replacing my se comp in a week or so. I just got my baker 2 weeks back. I still have my factory set that has 19,000 it came off a 08 96b the SE has about 700 miles on it

Old 05-22-2016, 07:40 PM
harrell42
Advanced
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have a 2011 ultra limited has 110,000 miles on it I have replaced the comp gear about 5 0r six times it has the newest version now and it is the best so far. however it is very noisy when starting up and when sits for a while. always have been when I first change them they last for about 4000 miles then gets noisy again. I put the conpensaver and trust washer in this one and it was more noisy. I pulled it l out when I took cover off the clutch and chain and comp gear had a lots less oil than before ki put the compensaver in, when I drained the primary then opened it up and I had very little oil in the primary, usually when I drain it a lots of fluid comes out when I open it up but the whole primary was a lot less oily. I took the compensaver out and left the thrust washer in don't know what to expect now I don't think the compensaver is the answer because mine had more noise I think the oil tray gets in the way of the oil moving it is very big and well made but I don't think it is the answer. I have heard of putting a extra small spring in to make it tighter I,may try this does anybody know if this will work

Old 05-30-2016, 10:25 AM
Bumpandrun
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 414 Likes on 297 Posts

Well ran the comp out as far as I want. Sick of listening to it and the stator took a dump. Guess it's time. But just saw the price also. Lol. I need to try the Baker before I start installs on customer bikes. But 700 bucks is a hard sell to some guys.
Baker is proven in trans parts for sure.