Primary/Transmission/Driveline/Clutch Find answers to general powertrain, primary and transmission. Have clutch issues and need suggestions? Post them here.

clutch release point changes as it gets hotter

Search this Thread

Old 12-29-2015, 08:47 PM
bolt54
Tourer
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default clutch release point changes as it gets hotter

2010 FXSTC, 50,000 miles, new (HD) clutch cable, new release bearing, screaming eagle clutch spring, clutch adjusted to 'harley spec', works fine when starting a ride but from time to time when I ride for a while (hour or two) the release point gets progressively closer to the grip making neutral impossible to find, then next time I go out (bike is cold) the release point is right back to it's normal spot....

Anyone see this problem ever?

rode Christmas eve for an hour and it happened, rode the previous Sunday for hour and a half and it worked fine, does not seem to be rhyme or reason to when it will happen...

Old 12-30-2015, 08:06 AM
Dan89FLSTC
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 8,478 Likes on 4,603 Posts

The clutch could be slipping while you are at speed, causing it to get hot..

It could be dragging while you are in traffic, hot again.

Either one of these scenarios would most likely be due to the clutch or cable being out of adjustment.

I suggest you remove the right side release mechanism cover and check the ball and ramp and also the throwout bearing, then re adjust the clutch and cable.

If that doesn`t help, you might consider disassembling the clutch, check that the plates and discs are not binding in the slots on the hub/outer shell.

Other possibilities (but I think that any of the following would not cause an intermittent problem, the problem would exist all the time).

Clutch hub retaining nut is loose.

Bolts on the release plate are loose or the posts on the hub are broken.

Failure of the ball bearing or trap door on right side of transmission.

Most likely the problem is in something you had apart...

We`ve all been down that road...

Last edited by Dan89FLSTC; 12-30-2015 at 08:24 AM.
Old 12-30-2015, 08:39 PM
bolt54
Tourer

It's funny, I have adjusted it many times and it feels perfect, easy to find neutral and very consistent release...then I'll get it hot (although stop and go traffic makes it happen more often perhaps) and it sometimes will try to creep forward at a light.

Had the right side apart (put a Muller power clutch in) and also had a wiped out release bearing so replaced that also, along with replacing cable twice. I can do it really fast now .

Old 10-06-2016, 07:12 AM
beammeup
Road Master
Received 24 Likes on 20 Posts

Just came across this thread and wondering what the ending was.

Can you offer an update?

Old 10-06-2016, 09:13 AM
mcraige65
Advanced

I noticed my '15 Wide Glide does this. While riding yesterday, and sitting at a traffic light in a long line of cars waiting for a train, I noticed I had about 3/8" slack in my clutch cable. I checked it before I left the house, and it was about 1/16". It seems my clutch cable is stretching as I ride. Weird.

Old 10-06-2016, 11:42 AM
corliss@bakerdrivetrain.com
Banned
Received 1,856 Likes on 1,287 Posts

Originally Posted by mcraige65
I noticed my '15 Wide Glide does this. While riding yesterday, and sitting at a traffic light in a long line of cars waiting for a train, I noticed I had about 3/8" slack in my clutch cable. I checked it before I left the house, and it was about 1/16". It seems my clutch cable is stretching as I ride. Weird.
Could be the mainshaft moving. Harley is still retaining their trap door bearings with snap rings. With helical cut gears there is a condition known as axial thrust, where the main and counter shafts actually push away from each other. The snap ring retaining the bearing in the bearing door is insufficient and can not hold the mainshaft in place.

Put the bike in 2nd gear and pull the clutch lever about half way in, do you feel the lever moving in and out in your hand? That's the mainshaft moving.

Old 10-06-2016, 04:06 PM
mcraige65
Advanced

Originally Posted by Mark@ Baker Drivetrain
Could be the mainshaft moving. Harley is still retaining their trap door bearings with snap rings. With helical cut gears there is a condition known as axial thrust, where the main and counter shafts actually push away from each other. The snap ring retaining the bearing in the bearing door is insufficient and can not hold the mainshaft in place.

Put the bike in 2nd gear and pull the clutch lever about half way in, do you feel the lever moving in and out in your hand? That's the mainshaft moving.
Thanks for the info. Is there a "fix" for this -- perhaps a stronger snap ring -- or is this one of the things you just learn to live with?

Old 10-07-2016, 07:56 AM
corliss@bakerdrivetrain.com
Banned
Received 1,856 Likes on 1,287 Posts

Originally Posted by mcraige65
Thanks for the info. Is there a "fix" for this -- perhaps a stronger snap ring -- or is this one of the things you just learn to live with?
here is the fix: http://crustyoldsite.bakerdrivetrain.com/street-door

We used a steel plate to retain the bearings.