Primary/Transmission/Driveline/Clutch Find answers to general powertrain, primary and transmission. Have clutch issues and need suggestions? Post them here.

New Clutch

Search this Thread

Old 01-14-2016, 10:46 AM
KDUBYA
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default New Clutch

I am going to install a Screamin Eagle hub and friction discs in my o7 SG. Screamin' Eagle Performance Clutch Friction Disc Kit-37980-10, and Screamin' Eagle Twin Cam Performance Race Clutch Hub Kit-37976-08A. My question is, is this setup going to be harder to pull the lever that a stock unit, and if so, what can I do about that?

Old 01-14-2016, 11:00 AM
chromelens
Cruiser

My first question would be have you already purchased those products? Also why are you upgrading your clutch? I believe that there are better options out there if you have a stock or close to stock motor and/or a performance motor that will give you a stock or close to stock lever feel. Either way you will notice some increased lever pull with a performance clutch. If it becomes an issue after installation you could look at a hydraulic clutch option to help.

Old 01-14-2016, 08:34 PM
KDUBYA
Tourer

Originally Posted by chromelens
My first question would be have you already purchased those products? Also why are you upgrading your clutch? I believe that there are better options out there if you have a stock or close to stock motor and/or a performance motor that will give you a stock or close to stock lever feel. Either way you will notice some increased lever pull with a performance clutch. If it becomes an issue after installation you could look at a hydraulic clutch option to help.
I have not bought the parts yet. I am upgrading the because the stock clutch has been slipping after a 103 upgrade. I would be interested in hearing your suggestions.
Thanks!

Old 01-14-2016, 08:43 PM
QC
Club Member
Received 19,786 Likes on 9,863 Posts

Have tried just adding the SE clutch spring?

Old 01-15-2016, 10:33 AM
chromelens
Cruiser

I've had excellent results with the Alto Carbonite Hi-Performance Clutch Plate Kit. Depending on what HP/Torque numbers you are running you should be able to pair this with a heavier clutch spring and be fine. If you are looking to go the next step the Barnett Clutch Spring Conversion Kit is a great option. I have used both on 130+ HP/Torque motors and not seen any issues with daily hard use. There are three set-up options with the Barnett kit to set lever feel and clutch pressure. You can get into the Alto clutch and a heavy spring for around $200 and the clutch with the barnett kit for around $370. Best part is both products are Made in the USA! Hope this helps.

Old 01-15-2016, 12:37 PM
grbrown
Club Member
Received 2,852 Likes on 2,419 Posts
Wink

Originally Posted by KDUBYA
I have not bought the parts yet. I am upgrading the because the stock clutch has been slipping after a 103 upgrade. I would be interested in hearing your suggestions.
Thanks!
I'm running the stock 80" Evo clutch with an S&S 107" engine, using just a Barnett clutch spring.

There are various options, none of which involve a new clutch. The cheapest is to install a stronger clutch spring in your current clutch, however that will increase lever effort. An alternative is to use an AIM or SE variable pressure clutch device, which increases clutch pressure as engine speed increases, but retains the lower lever effort.

Old 01-16-2016, 01:04 PM
KDUBYA
Tourer

Originally Posted by chromelens
I've had excellent results with the Alto Carbonite Hi-Performance Clutch Plate Kit. Depending on what HP/Torque numbers you are running you should be able to pair this with a heavier clutch spring and be fine. If you are looking to go the next step the Barnett Clutch Spring Conversion Kit is a great option. I have used both on 130+ HP/Torque motors and not seen any issues with daily hard use. There are three set-up options with the Barnett kit to set lever feel and clutch pressure. You can get into the Alto clutch and a heavy spring for around $200 and the clutch with the barnett kit for around $370. Best part is both products are Made in the USA! Hope this helps.
Would the Alto Carbonite plate kit be used with my stock hub, and do you have a thought on what specific heavier clutch spring? I'm under 100 HP/Torque. What will the resulting lever pull effort be?

Old 01-17-2016, 02:50 PM
chromelens
Cruiser

The Alto clutch will replace the factory clutch. This will work with your factory hub. With the numbers on the motor you are running you should be able to get away with a clutch replacement depending on your riding style. If there is any concern Barnett makes a heavy duty spring and won't make a huge difference with the lever feel. If you ride hard or carry heavy loads at times on the bike a heavier spring is suggested. PM me with any specific questions you have.

Old 01-27-2016, 09:46 AM
djl
HDF Community Team

Received 2,030 Likes on 1,498 Posts

AIM VP-68LT with the 340# or 360# spring will get the job done using all the OEM parts.

https://aimcorp.myshopify.com/collec...-clutch-series

Old 01-27-2016, 04:52 PM
FlaHeatWave
Road Captain
Received 70 Likes on 47 Posts

First, make sure your stock clutch is properly adjusted...

If you can tolerate a little more effort, the SE Heavy Duty Spring...

The AIM VPC will reduce effort (at low rpms) cost more.

+1 on the Alto Carbonite ( if your stock plates require replacement)

Save your money, stay with the stock Hub...(I'm running the stock hub on the 117, no issues)

The SE Spring and/or the VPC are a 30min. install for the average DIYer.

I would try the SE Spring first, then if you don't like the lever pull, go back to the stock spring and the AIM. If the stock plates require replacement, go with the Alto Carbonite...

Last edited by FlaHeatWave; 01-27-2016 at 05:01 PM.
The following users liked this post:
Jetjocky (05-07-2018)

Quick Reply: New Clutch