Primary/Transmission/Driveline/Clutch Find answers to general powertrain, primary and transmission. Have clutch issues and need suggestions? Post them here.

Bad main drive gear seal? Change tranny sprocket?

Search this Thread

Old 01-29-2016, 02:58 PM
wyatt06bob
6th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Bad main drive gear seal? Change tranny sprocket?

Hey All. Thanks for any and all replies. My bike is an '06 Street Bob, about 30K miles, stage one, and I have never been inside the tranny or engine.

Here's the deal. Rode home from work about 5 miles , parked it and the next morning had a puddle of oil under it from what I originally expected was the primary. Cleaned up the oil and popped the derby cover off. The primary was still full of oil. Pulled the tranny dipstick and the tranny was dry.

I wiped all the oil from the underside of the bike and from the best I can tell, by referring to my service manual, is that it appears to be leaking from the main gear drive seal. it looks like the oil is leaking onto the sprocket and then down the primary case onto my driveway. Thoughts?

I am pretty handy in the shop, but it looks like I would need to spend $200+ just on tools to tackle this project. I don't have the torque wrenches, a press, or any of the other little specialty tools that the book says I need.

So, haul it off to the stealer or try and do it myself?

Also, I would like some more torque. If I am going to be all the way in there what are anyone's and everyone's thoughts about changing the tranny sprocket. Or is that just a dumb idea?

Cheers and thank you

Old 02-01-2016, 03:49 PM
djl
HDF Community Team

Received 2,030 Likes on 1,498 Posts

Two most likely sources of the leak are the mainshaft/5th gear seal or the MDG seal; see the attached diagrams. MDG seal is #17 in the MDG seal diagram and mainshaft/5th gear seal is #13 in the IPB_MS diagram. You will need to pull the inner primary to verify the source of the leak. Seals are cheap, so I would buy both before the tear down. You will need the tool to R/R the inner primary bearing (IPB) race, #14 in the IPB_MS diagram. Hope that the leaking seal is not the mainshaft/5th gear seal; removing the old seal will have you talking in tongues. If the mainshaft/5th gear seal is leaking the IPB race may have walked in and damaged the seal. If that is the case, there will not be enough space between the race and MDG to set the puller. Should that happen, a dremel tool with a diagonal cut (careful not to knick the main shaft) and a hammer strike to the cut will break the race and it will slide right off.

If you don't have the service manual, you will need it. IIRC, the bolts that hold the inner primary from the inside have a rubber seal and you should replace those bolts to insure against leaks. The shift shaft seal could be leaking as well but the leak you described sounds like one of the other two seal. I would replace the shift shaft seal while you are at it as well. Of course you will need all the associated gaskets, fresh oil, etc. I would also replace the IPB bearing and race. I believe S&S is now making a replacement race for the '06 up Dynas now.

Save yourself some $$ and DIY the project. Not difficult, just time consuming and dirty work.

I forget what the final gearing is on the '06 Dynas but in most cases, if you change more than one tooth on either pulley, you will need a new belt.

Attached Thumbnails Bad main drive gear seal? Change tranny sprocket?-mdg-seal.jpg   Bad main drive gear seal? Change tranny sprocket?-ipb_ms_5th-gear-seal.jpg  
Old 02-01-2016, 04:07 PM
grbrown
Club Member
Received 2,852 Likes on 2,419 Posts

That's a job I personally would get done by my local tame indy, because it does indeed need some tools for a one off job. IMHO it's a job too far! However I would diagnose the problem a little more, to be certain what the cause is.

If the seal behind the front pulley is leaking I would expect there to be traces of oil over the back of the bike as well, not just under the bike when you park. After all hot oil is sneaky stuff and can spread far and wide!

Old 02-01-2016, 04:55 PM
wyatt06bob
6th Gear

Thanks for the replies and the info. After looking at it the other day and referring to my service manual I went ahead and had it towed to the local stealer. I just moved to the area and do not know any indie's. I also no longer have a shop at my disposal or else I would have torn her down myself. At the moment, I do not even have the torque wrench I would have needed. So, I figured I would save myself a headache and let the shop deal with it.

Man, am I glad I decided to let the shop take care of it. I would been pretty pissed off to have this thing torn apart in the driveway just to discover this...

Attached Thumbnails Bad main drive gear seal? Change tranny sprocket?-main-shaft-1.jpg   Bad main drive gear seal? Change tranny sprocket?-main-shaft-2.jpg  
Old 02-01-2016, 04:57 PM
wyatt06bob
6th Gear

As we speak, the shop is tearing the tranny apart. They quoting me an additional 4.5 hours. With parts, barring anything else is F'd up, i should get her back for about $850, give or take.