Primary/Transmission/Driveline/Clutch Find answers to general powertrain, primary and transmission. Have clutch issues and need suggestions? Post them here.

Compensator may be bad?

Search this Thread

Old 02-02-2016, 08:35 AM
gilbert_roadking
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Compensator may be bad?

Good morning all. I had posted this in the Touring section, but got no hits so thought I would move this question here. Thanks for looking and helping out.

I know there are many threads on how to determine if a compensator is going bad and I have reviewed most of them and searched the web. Answers were all over the board.

My bike is a 12 rkc with 37000 miles. What I know is that it does not kick back or make noise when I start or shut down. I do get (what I think) is chain lash when I decelerate and accelerate quickly. Some one on this forum posted many years ago about holding the brake, put the bike in 1st and slowly let the clutch out. If it makes a lot of noise it is the comp. I did this and compared against my neighbors identical 12 rkc and mine definitely makes more noise.

Does that sound like a bad comp or comp going bad or the chain tensioner or chain?

If it is I believe I can replace it myself but can't afford thebaker. Is the SE comp a good alternative?

Also if you take the primary case completely off do I have to replace the main bearing?

Thanks