Primary/Transmission/Driveline/Clutch Find answers to general powertrain, primary and transmission. Have clutch issues and need suggestions? Post them here.

Easier Clutch Pull Options

Old 03-22-2016, 06:50 AM
NascarGuy
Supporter
Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
Default Easier Clutch Pull Options

I just replaced my stock 96" motor with a 117" and installed the Barnett Heavy Clutch spring with a Barnett Extra Plate Kevlar clutch pack. The pull on the damn clutch lever is gonna have my left forearm looking like Popeye it's so stiff. Are there any options out there where I can keep the spring tension needed in the primary but not have such a stiff lever pull?

Old 03-22-2016, 09:05 AM
grbrown
Club Member
Received 2,851 Likes on 2,419 Posts

Yes! Even Barnett have an option. See this thread for a few details. Read it right through, also use Search in the Touring forum for 'VPC', as that will bring up other threads with options for clutches.

The following users liked this post:
NascarGuy (03-22-2016)
Old 03-22-2016, 09:22 AM
NascarGuy
Supporter
Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by grbrown
Yes! Even Barnett have an option. See this thread for a few details. Read it right through, also use Search in the Touring forum for 'VPC', as that will bring up other threads with options for clutches.
Do you use the VPC in lieu of the heavy spring or in addition to the heavy spring?

Old 03-22-2016, 09:45 AM
grbrown
Club Member
Wink

Originally Posted by NascarGuy
Do you use the VPC in lieu of the heavy spring or in addition to the heavy spring?
The VPC uses it's own spring, which should be less strong than the one you are currently using. As engine speed increase it applies increasing pressure to the clutch, so the spring doesn't need to be as strong as in a normal clutch. Check their website, where you should find 3/4 options for springs. I understand the H-D SE VPC is the same brand and may also have optional springs. The Barnett device is similar, which they call 'Low profile lock-up billet pressure plate'.

There are other devices available, but I don't recall brand names at present. Follow my earlier suggestion, which should uncover more options! You will find you are spoiled for choice.

Old 05-16-2016, 12:30 AM
RAZR
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

What's the deal with people thinking the Screamin' Eagle Spring is so hard too pull? If your having that hard a time with pulling the clutch maybe you oughta go hydraulic... Lube the clutch cable, throw the spring in and Ride... Damn I can't tell much difference in pull between stock or Screamin' Eagle....

Old 05-16-2016, 04:45 AM
grbrown
Club Member

Depends how big and strong you are, we're not all 300 pound muscle-bound hulks! For those of us who need a bit of help, there are several devices available, although more than mentioned in this thread. Compared with most other brands of bike a Harley requires a strong clutch hand.

Old 05-16-2016, 10:18 AM
HD Pilot
Elite HDF Member
Received 55 Likes on 47 Posts

Bandit Sportsman clutch would be a big help, the increased friction area is like over 200%.
Just don't overdo the springs and spacers on install, just need enough that prevents slipping under your normal riding.

Old 05-17-2016, 11:40 AM
Mr. Wizard
Administrator
Received 2,035 Likes on 1,103 Posts

Originally Posted by grbrown
Depends how big and strong you are, we're not all 300 pound muscle-bound hulks! For those of us who need a bit of help, there are several devices available, although more than mentioned in this thread. Compared with most other brands of bike a Harley requires a strong clutch hand.
Another option

https://www.hdforums.com/forum/tri-g...-adjuster.html

Old 06-19-2016, 02:56 PM
C.H.L.
Road Warrior
Received 28 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by NascarGuy
Might not be true for everyone, but my experience......

Heavy spring = ok
Stock spring + VPC = ok
Heavy spring + VPC = wouldn't shift at high RPM's (4500+)

Old 06-28-2016, 12:39 PM
djl
HDF Community Team

Received 2,011 Likes on 1,489 Posts

The VPC will reduce lever pull but power shifting with a VPC is a challenge. Trying to shift at the point of max clamping pressure doesn't lend itself to smooth gear changes.......

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Easier Clutch Pull Options