Primary/Transmission/Driveline/Clutch Find answers to general powertrain, primary and transmission. Have clutch issues and need suggestions? Post them here.

Primary Clank

Search this Thread

Old 04-20-2016, 07:05 PM
Lt Meat
Novice
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Primary Clank

Just bought a used 2009 Fat Bob and started hearing a clanking noise coming from the primary....doesn't do it at idle. And really only started doing it after riding a little bit...but the other day it did it pretty soon into my ride. I figured it was the compensator nut that worked loose so I've drained the primary (which by the way had hardly any fluid) and took the case off. All appears to be fine...no shavings, no marks on primary case, sprocket teeth all look good....I'm waiting on primary tool to arrive to take nut off and clean and retorque it with red 262. I was thinking I would have a 1.5 inch nut but after taking it off it is a 13/16 or 21mm. Never saw that mentioned in any forum. Is this a different compensator? Screaming eagle?

If this doesn't stop it I guess the problem will be more invasive. Hoping this is what it is... Any thoughts?

Attached Thumbnails Primary Clank-img_0078.jpg   Primary Clank-img_0077.jpg   Primary Clank-img_0085.jpg  
Old 04-21-2016, 12:35 AM
LQQK_OUT
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 1,563 Likes on 1,082 Posts

You need to remove the compensating sprocket and look at the spokes. That is where you will typically see the wear. Yes, the compensating bolt size is 13/16". Keep in mind this is a one-time use bolt and should not be re-used and replaced with new.
The newer Screamin Eagle compensator uses a compensating bolt that is a T70 torx.

Old 04-21-2016, 04:38 AM
markwolula
Tourer
Received 85 Likes on 56 Posts

What is the mileage on the bike ??? If it has low mileage , you could pull all the stock comp components, check and re torque everything and see what happens.. Or if it has high mileage, (say over 40,000), I would bite the bullet, (as you have her unbuttoned), and install a new SE comp, or check out the Baker comp.... Plenty of videos and info here showing install of new SE comp ....

Old 04-21-2016, 03:36 PM
Lt Meat
Novice

Originally Posted by markwolula
What is the mileage on the bike ??? If it has low mileage , you could pull all the stock comp components, check and re torque everything and see what happens.. Or if it has high mileage, (say over 40,000), I would bite the bullet, (as you have her unbuttoned), and install a new SE comp, or check out the Baker comp.... Plenty of videos and info here showing install of new SE comp ....

Only 12,000 miles on her...got the bolt off pretty easily with a breaker bar and although I'm a fairly strong guy I'm pretty certain it was not 165 ft pounds of torque on it. Everything looks good inside so I've cleaned the bolt really good and also ran it up inside with brake cleaner several times until no blue Loctite was visible any longer from inside. I will add my two drops of red 262 and torque it to 165 and button her back up and fill the primary as it should be...since it was really low when I drained it..and then see how she does.

Old 04-21-2016, 05:22 PM
Dan89FLSTC
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 8,495 Likes on 4,612 Posts

Originally Posted by LQQK_OUT
Keep in mind this is a one-time use bolt and should not be re-used and replaced with new.
Why do you say this is a one time use bolt?

EDIT: I just found the callout requiring new bolt in the FSM...

Last edited by Dan89FLSTC; 04-21-2016 at 08:32 PM.
Old 04-21-2016, 05:27 PM
Lt Meat
Novice

Originally Posted by Dan89FLSTC
Why do you say it is a one time use bolt?

You hear that a lot but it's not really true.... I know of many that have loosened and retorqued this bolt with no issue at all. I work for a local PD and was a motorscout for 10 years and we rode Road Kings. Our certified Harley mechanic (spoke to him about this yesterday) said no issue using the same bolt especially with the low miles. If the bolt showed wear or damage then yes replace it.

Old 04-21-2016, 08:29 PM
Dan89FLSTC
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 8,495 Likes on 4,612 Posts

Originally Posted by Lt Meat
You hear that a lot but it's not really true....
I think it may be that the new fastener comes with a threadlock compound on the threads.

Old 04-21-2016, 09:03 PM
Lt Meat
Novice

Maybe...but I just take a wire brush and brake cleaner to the threads and it's good to go with two drops of Red 262...and I also run the bolt a few times with brake cleaner so as to clean the inside as well.

Old 04-22-2016, 02:17 AM
LQQK_OUT
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 1,563 Likes on 1,082 Posts

Originally Posted by Lt Meat
You hear that a lot but it's not really true.... I know of many that have loosened and retorqued this bolt with no issue at all. I work for a local PD and was a motorscout for 10 years and we rode Road Kings. Our certified Harley mechanic (spoke to him about this yesterday) said no issue using the same bolt especially with the low miles. If the bolt showed wear or damage then yes replace it.
I thought that bolt was a torque-to-yield fastener, similar to many suspension bolts on a car. They stretch and if reused can break. The factory service manual only recommends replacing a few bolts if reused. Why take the chance over an inexpensive item? That bolt is now torqued to 175 ft-lbs.
It's all about choices and chances.

Old 04-22-2016, 03:19 AM
markwolula
Tourer
Received 85 Likes on 56 Posts

Originally Posted by LQQK_OUT
I thought that bolt was a torque-to-yield fastener, similar to many suspension bolts on a car. They stretch and if reused can break. The factory service manual only recommends replacing a few bolts if reused. Why take the chance over an inexpensive item? That bolt is now torqued to 175 ft-lbs.
It's all about choices and chances.

I believe the original stock comp, (bolt), on the OPs 2009 bike does not get torqued to 175 ft-lbs ... From memory, I think it is 150 or 160 ft-lbs.. The newer/upgraded SE comp bolt, (70 torx), does get torqued to 175 ft-lbs... Something for the OP to check .... Not that it will make a big difference,in the big picture of things....

Quick Reply: Primary Clank